Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

army against imperials
Closed Thread
Old 25 Dec 2005, 18:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Josef-Jonker Send a message via MSN to Josef-Jonker Send a message via Yahoo to Josef-Jonker
Default army against imperials

im just starting a space marine army, and my main opponent will be the Imperial Guard. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas where to start, tactics, or w/e. thanks!

Tyranids- cant live without them can't live with them...............................without being eaten
Old 25 Dec 2005, 20:07   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: army against imperials

From my limited experience I would say: bring anti tank equipment, bring high rate of fire devices and get into cc fast with as few shooting deaths as possible.
Old 25 Dec 2005, 22:37   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Josef-Jonker Send a message via MSN to Josef-Jonker Send a message via Yahoo to Josef-Jonker

thanks

Tyranids- cant live without them can't live with them...............................without being eaten
Old 26 Dec 2005, 16:30   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Guard has a good # of tanks so I would bring some Lascannons and some other heavy weapons.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 16:27   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Actually, I would suggest out manuvering them. Rather than foot slogging troops up to them, plop them into Rhinos and advance along the flanks under cover until you get close to their lines. Then drive up in their face, unload BEHIND the Rhino (which will give you cover and may get blown up, but who cares? It got you there), then run around it and assault them next turn. You could also hop out and rapid fire the guard (probibly kill a ton of them) but watch out for retaliation fire from Leman Russ tanks and heavy weapon teams.

For support, I'd suggest taking some Attack Bike squads or Land Speeders with anti-tank gear to zip around (or over) cover and blow away tanks and Artillery (basilisks). You'll be quick enough to easily catch side armor with Multi-melta shots, which will make short work of any vehicles your enemy has.

What guard are going to want to do is focus as much fire on single squads as they can (Because is takes about 18 lasgun shots to drop a marine). Deny them this, and you should be able to win handily.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 00:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

With my limited knowledge on Imperial Guard, I would suggest taking Anti-tank equipment, mostly TL if you can(Land Raiders, and Predators) and trying to blow the heck out of them before they can you. Against infantry, IG is a army where Tanks are usually a main priority target, but I would suggest Lots of heavy bolters to get the guard out of the way.

Predators with this might do good
-TL lascannon
-Heavy Bolter SS

Just normal Land Raiders will also do good as they have 2 TL lascannons and a TL heavy Bolter plus they can storm up and unload lots of SM or Termis. Also use them to hide other less humongous stuff i.e. Rhinos so they, to, can unload their stuff. In one turn you can get 20 SM or 5 Termis and 10 SM in to assult. Frankly I think that we would need to see your list to see what would work.

-Da Boss
Closed Thread