Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Best combo of assault terminators
Old 25 Dec 2005, 04:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Best combo of assault terminators

I have done a search of the site and I still unsure! I want your opinion. What is the overall best load out is for assault termies. They will be deployed by all forms(Crusader, teleport,...), and against all armies (known armies chaos, tau, eldar, horde orks). I know this is a vague question, but I don't want to waste the points or $$ on a squad that is useless for its intended purpose. Thanks!
Old 25 Dec 2005, 13:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Best combo of assault terminators

That's actually an excellent question. The answer depends somewhat on how many terminators are in the squad.

Rule 1: Never take expensive upgrades on the sergeant. He gets a power sword and stormbolter for free...I wish I could get all my termies set up that way!

Rule 2: take one thunderhammer then 3 lighting claws....repeat.

Rule 3: if attaching a HQ character with terminator armor, never give the character a powerfist or thunderhammer...unless he is a chaplain (cause you've got the crozius as an alternate weapon). ICs count as separate units in assault, you don't want them striking on initiative 1. With the chappie, only use the fist/hammer against vehicles or monstrous creatures.

Ok, following those rules, here's what different sized squads would look like (without an attached HQ):

5: SGT, 1 TH, 3 LC.
6: SGT, 2 TH, 3 LC.
7: SGT, 2 TH, 4 LC.
8: SGT, 2 TH, 5 LC.
9: SGT, 2 TH, 6 LC.
10: SGT, 3 TH, 6 LC.

One last thing. Keep in mind that you don't have room in a standard landraider for a squad with HQ character attached. And for a crusader, keep the squad size to 7, to leave room for the boss!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2005, 20:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to gundamfan

I think a power fist on the sergeant would be useful, though. He strikes with initiative 1. So? Since you can choose who dies, your sergeant should be the last one to die, so basically they have to kill all of the other termies (which is hard to do) before they can knock off your powerfisted sergeant. Then you can beat them down with the powerfist.
Old 25 Dec 2005, 22:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Rule 1:* Never take expensive upgrades on the sergeant.* He gets a power sword and stormbolter for free...I wish I could get all my termies set up that way!
The Sarge in an Assault Termie squad no longer uses that set-up; he now comes either with Litening Claws or Thunderhammer/Stormshield.

Assault Termies should definately be deployed from any kind of Land Raider. Deep Striking them will leave them stalled for a whole turn (can't move), thus dangerously vulnerable. Walking is supremely chancy, as they're not fast, they'll take forever to reach enemy lines and they'll be targeted with anything from rocks to turbolasers___it might work VS Orks, thx to their lack of Ap1-2 guns and only as long they don't charge you with Choppas. It won't work at all VS most Eldars (i.e. Starcannons).

Another thing about Assault Termies and LRs___they should only be taken in 1000- pts games (most people in these range don't pack a whole lot of antiarmor measures) or in 1700+ pts games. This set-up is very expensive, diminishing the amont of other toys you could pack.
citizen_kodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2005, 02:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

march10k: Thanks for the TH to LC ratio. You might be right about the serge. It does say the serge can take stuff from the armory, but I'm going to call GW for the final say.

Gundamfan: True that I can pick who dies first, but do you think that two St 10 (or is it 8) attacks is worth giving up the re-roll and extra attack. Most armies don't need that strength weapon to kill them. BTW what is you favorite gundam? Mine is a toss-up between Heavyarms Custom and the Freedom w/Meteor unit.

citizen_kodo: You might also be right about the serge, but like I said, calling GW for the last word. I was really leaning towards using a LRC but the points cost for a small game, and most of the time I'm only ~18"-24" away from the enemy at the start of the game. The only way to see if it is going to work is to play it.

Thanks all

Update: march10k was right.