Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Are Space Wolfs All Really Fearless?
Closed Thread
Old 23 Dec 2005, 23:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Are Space Wolfs All Really Fearless?

Hey guys I have a friend who plays space wolfs and keeps getting confused on wether space marines automatically regroup or if they are fearless. He has never had his guys take a morale check because we were confused on this.

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
Old 23 Dec 2005, 23:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Are Space Wolfs All Really Fearless?

Spaces marines automatically regroup if falling back under normal conditions. If they are within 6 inches of an enemy unit or under 50% they will need to check to see if it's possible. Spaces marines are essentially pushed up one category. Non marine models cannot regroup if under 50% or being chased by enemy units, and have to roll under non threatening conditions. Space marines are leaps and bounds better in those regards.

Space wolves are not fearless but one wolf guard (space wolf analogue for team leader) can take the mark of the wulfen, which makes his unit fearless. This is *one* single model in the wolf army.

13th company can, however, mark everything that has wargear options. If he is playing 13th company, then his entire army can be fearless.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 23 Dec 2005, 23:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, actually it does. Thank you very much

Old 23 Dec 2005, 23:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

okie doke. I added some more clarifications if you wish to read them.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 23 Dec 2005, 23:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thanks man but I think you already did enough.

Old 24 Dec 2005, 04:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDeth
Space wolves are not fearless but one wolf guard (space wolf analogue for team leader) can take the mark of the wulfen, which makes his unit fearless. This is *one* single model in the wolf army.
Correction, Wolf Guard that take Mark of the Wulfen cannot lead a squad into battle. They must be alone at all times (but can be near a squad). But they are Fearless.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Old 24 Dec 2005, 09:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

actually, in combat, all marines that fail their leadership test instead count as fearless (making them better than fearless troops in combat)

so basically, space wolves, if they lose in combat, take a leadership test, at -1 if they're under half strength (no penalties for being outnumbered, remember), so in general at 7 or 8, and then if they fail that, count as fearless instead...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 24 Dec 2005, 18:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
actually, in combat, all marines that fail their leadership test instead count as fearless (making them better than fearless troops in combat)

so basically, space wolves, if they lose in combat, take a leadership test, at -1 if they're under half strength (no penalties for being outnumbered, remember), so in general at 7 or 8, and then if they fail that, count as fearless instead...

Not quite.

A space marine squad will suffer all of the regular penalties, including being outnumbered, and they WILL fall back if they fail their morale check. The difference is that they can't be automatically destroyed if they are caught by the sweeping advance. In situations where the enemy beats their initiative roll in a sweeping advance they will instead take hits as per the "No Retreat!" rule and not be destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDeth
If they are within 6 inches of an enemy unit or under 50% they will need to check to see if it's possible
(emphasis mine)

Also not true. A space marine squad can, and will automatically rally if there are no enemies within 6", even if it is under half. No leadership check is neccessary if they are far enough away from all enemies. In this case, even if they are under half they will automatically rally.

No leadership check is allowed if they are within 6" of an enemy. In this case, regardless as to the size of squad, they will continue to fall back.

I don't know anything about Space Wolves in particular, but that is how the SM "They shall show no fear" rule works.
Old 25 Dec 2005, 01:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

sorry, i stand corrected. +1 karma for you, for a very concise and understandable explanation of ATSKNF

however, one thing: space wolves don't suffer from being outnumbered...i wasn't saying all marines, just wolves don't suffer the penalties

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 25 Dec 2005, 13:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

So my hormagaunts in a 32 strong brood do nothing against BloodiedFangs' Space Wolves. :P

..."because music is in everything, it's the richness of the music that enrichens our lives." - Jay-Z

7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable

"As soon as there is life there is danger." Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1860
"God created Man in his own image, and Man, being a gentleman, returned the compliment." - Mark Twain

Closed Thread