Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

assault terminator vs. normal terminator
Closed Thread
Old 13 Dec 2005, 20:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default assault terminator vs. normal terminator

i am starting a blood ravens close combat (urban warefare) based army it will be 1000 pts. and i do not know whether i should take assault or normal termies

this is the army list: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=14964.0
if you have any comments regarding the army list itself please comment as well

~Anti11es ;D
Old 13 Dec 2005, 20:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: assault terminator vs. normal terminator

Well you have to get them in to close combat somehow cause they can't shoot anything... only good way to do this is driving them up in a Land Raider.. are you getting one of those? You could deep strike them but then you're opponent gets one round of running and shooting before you can assault him. From the land raider you can charge right away! KILL 'EM ALL!
Old 13 Dec 2005, 22:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Definately, for urban, assault termies. They can unleash a devastating number of armour-ignoring attacks, and they have high strengths and survivabilty.
Normal Termies strike at I1, but with LC termies, they're normal!

When dealing with urba rubble, and building corners, you don't need storm bolters.

My assault termies are amazing in buildings and rubble strewn streets where no one even knows what LoS is.

KILL 'EM ALL AND SMILE!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 14 Dec 2005, 12:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

yes, but on a NORMAL board, i can see regular terminators having a distinct advantage...for instance teleporting in to claim objectives and lay down wilting fire with an assault cannon or 2...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 14 Dec 2005, 12:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

for cityfighting assaulty fluff: assault termies.

for tabletop reality: assault cannon termies.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 14 Dec 2005, 20:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Those rending shots can be useful, but the claws and hammer are more useful when you deepstrike directly next to a large horde of assaulty Khorne bezerkers...
If youre deepstriking, assault. If youre walking up then punching, normal.

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 14 Dec 2005, 21:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Cmdr. Stankov
Those rending shots can be useful, but the claws and hammer are more useful when you deepstrike directly next to a large horde of assaulty Khorne bezerkers...
If youre deepstriking, assault. If youre walking up then punching, normal.
But you can not move when you deepstrike right? So you can not assault the same turn?
Old 15 Dec 2005, 07:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Correct. Which means every gun in the opposing army gets a shot at you on the turn you drop in...and you just handed a LOT of VPs to the enemy on a silver platter. I had 7 Ksons aspiring champions terminators deepstrike against me in a tournament, once. It was ugly. They killed like 7 marines with their shooty psychic powers...and couldn't assault with their pretty power weapons. Then it was my turn. Did you know that 7 terminators fit perfectly under a plasma cannon template? I had four of those...and three of them hit. How many terminators do you know that survive 3 consecutive 5+ invulnerable saves? Well...one did...and immediately took about 40 bolters to the chest. And a pair of plasma guns. And one plasma pistol. They never did find all the pieces...

Bottom line? Deepstriking terminators requires careful planning. You have to either drop them out of LOS and not arrive at the fight till turn 5-6, or drop them where they only have LOS to their target...and can shoot the target before the target shoots them. Which is why you never deepstrike assault terminators.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 15 Dec 2005, 10:58   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I have regularly foot-slogged Assault Terminators across a full board. Thank the God-Emperor for His Holy armour...

Just don't try it against Eldar (Curse those Starcannons!) and it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 16 Dec 2005, 12:19   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

In a city fightthen I'd say assault terminators, on a normal board however I'd definitely go with normal terminators, their ranged weapons give you more fire power and people don't see them as quite as big a threat because they strke last and a lot of people give sergeants power weapons now so they tend to focus on normal T's less.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Closed Thread