Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Lascannon or assualtcannon
Closed Thread
Old 11 Dec 2005, 03:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Lascannon or assualtcannon

I am getting a drednought soon but I am not sure what to put onto it, I know I want a powerfist but I also want to put on either an Assualtcannon or a las cannon,* I already have a Predator w/ 3 lascannons but I am not sure if I want to add another.

I will mostly be going up against an Eldar army w/ some powerful tanks.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 04:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Lascannon or assualtcannon

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=14073.0

This thread covers alot of the AC or TL Lascannon debate, but in this case I think the answer is obvious:
1) 60+% of an army being tanks is beardy, period. whoever made that list should be crucified and fed to She Who Thirsts (this commng from an Eldar player)
2) Lascannon, beyond doubt - the AC just doesn't have the potential to do enough damage.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 04:06   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well, I personally would magnitise them and switch them out on demand. It is a very simple conversion that makes it so you can change how your army works so easily. I am have done this to my crisis suits, and the magnets are tiny and nearly impossible to see.

Even the magnets themselves on EBay are cheap (64 for $5.99 plus S&H US). This is my recomendation. Even if you haven't done any conversions befor, I think that this is the best way to start.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 06:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would say it depends. I favor the lascannons, myself, but if you take lascannons, you should probably take the missile launcher, as well, since they complement one another so nicely...and if you're in DCCW range, you are wasting the lascannon's standoff. On the other hand, if you're in DCCW range, you're definitely also in assault cannon range...and it's possible that the high number of shots will do better against a skimmer (side armor, at least) than the high strength of the lascannon. I would either take the assault cannon with DCCW, or the TLLC with ML, but not TLLC with DCCW.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 12 Dec 2005, 02:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you're asking what to glue on it, you don't have to worry about that. I don't know about anyone else, but the arms for my dreadnaught are tight enought that I can stick them on, and they'll stay, but then I can take them right back off again after. No magnets needed, no glue needed.

If you're asking what's best in the game itself, try it out. I lean towards the assault cannon, personally. I tend to march my dread up to the enemy, pounding away at them (and drawing fire) as I go, but I haven't fought eldar yet, though, so I have no idea about them.

A tank-heavy army might need the las cannon dread, but you can just play around, try both configs (I agree with march10k on the configs) and see what works best for you.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 02:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Just don't glue on the arms so you can change them.

Also just fight a few battles with the base to see wich is better.

And then how bout that dreadnought on your pic. If that does great than use an assult cannon. If not lascannon. Simple.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 19:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I'd like to point out that the Asscannon is night on a simply better gun. just better.

4 rending shots gives it a higher chance to end up doing something to all but a tank standing still in the open, and if you get that regularly, by all means continue shooting fish in a barrel, the Asscannon is better against troops and by an large better agains vehicles, modular offers you the option, but the Asscannon is pretty much better :P
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 12 Dec 2005, 20:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...6489#msg236489

I almost always take an assault cannon, wait a second, I am lying here. Truth be told, when ever I take a dred, it has an assault cannon. Not only are the four rending shots great, but they are ap4 good for those Medium armour troops.

Plus if you take Ven Dred, which I think is well worth the points, they come out at BS5. Odds are you are going to hit 3 times.

If you look up Rending, you will see why it is so good.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 13 Dec 2005, 00:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Well, he is facing an army with tanks. Alot of them. How would S 6 go against 13? Oh, sorry, it can't. And can only glance 12...and a farely rare chance at 11. No good. You'll definitly need the Missile Launcher and Lascannon combo. One to take down enemy tanks. and 2, becuase with all them tanks, I doubt that the short range of an Assault Cannon and DCCW will make it there in the first place...

And for the arms, I also just put them on without glue or magnents. They fit tight enough, don't fall down, and it looks cool to see 2 fallen arms surrounding the ruins of a Dread when blown up ...I mean, dreadnoughts are invincible... :-\

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 13 Dec 2005, 07:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR
Well, he is facing an army with tanks. Alot of them. How would S 6 go against 13? Oh, sorry, it can't. And can only glance 12...and a farely rare chance at 11. No good. You'll definitly need the Missile Launcher and Lascannon combo. One to take down enemy tanks. and 2, becuase with all them tanks, I doubt that the short range of an Assault Cannon and DCCW will make it there in the first place...

And for the arms, I also just put them on without glue or magnents. They fit tight enough, don't fall down, and it looks cool to see 2 fallen arms surrounding the ruins of a Dread when blown up ...I mean, dreadnoughts are invincible... :-\
we did read the Rending rules right? and AV13 is the front armour right? can I get the math again, IIRC AC drew with Las on AV13 and did better on AV14.

also, we dont buy Lascannons on dreads, makes them expensive, we buy Lascannons in tactical squads ^-^
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread