Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Long fangs or terminators
Closed Thread
Old 10 Dec 2005, 21:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Long fangs or terminators

I need help to decide whether or not I should get long fangs which I can just prop up in a tower somewhere, or if I should getTerminators to charge up with. I am mostly going to be playing Eldar and Daemonhunters, and the Eldar always beats me. Wht should I do?
Old 10 Dec 2005, 21:08   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Long fangs or terminators

Long Fangs without question. They are an amazing heavy-weapon unit.

Plus Terminators aren't quite as fluffy for Space Wolves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 11 Dec 2005, 21:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In order to answer your question better, How many points are you playing?

Eldar are hard because they have a lot of anti Marine weapons. But they are easy to kill, the only problem would be the WL and Avatar.

I really hate guide, so there are a few things you can do

Yes, Long fangs work but only to a point. once they take wounds, they lose their ability to direct fire.

Heavy Bolters. Help.

I have lost and won to Eldar. So let me know how many points or what you are facing?

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 12 Dec 2005, 02:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, both have their pluses.

Terminators
These guys are great if you re facing a weak army, or any non-SM army, for they are the ultimate. They are the strongest single being unit that has an armour save, and they are usually the bane of anything that moves on the table. They are good for Eldar in the fact that Eldar are weak. They cannot face a prolonged assault by Terminators. They will die, unless there's some crazy psychics going on. They are a good choice for any army through their sheer brutality and strength. They also have excellent weapons.

Long Fangs
These are good if you want a lot of supporting fire taking place. They are useful when choosing large targets and exterminating them. They are also good against the weak Eldar, because of their high strength and range. Eldar should usually fail to withstand a game's barrage of these fellows.

Downsides:

Terminators
Termies are slow and Eldar are fast.
t+e= eldar survive, termies are stranded slow
Terminators will not be able to sweeping advance, and if your just that many inches away from a vulnerable squad, you can't move on. They will also outrun you with Fleet of Foot, a nasty habit of pulling at least 1" ahead of you.

Long Fangs
Long Fangs, and any Devastators for that manner, perform poorly against Eldar because, again, Eldar are agile. They can whip around the flank, just belong the reach of your guns, and their vehicles, when moving full speed, won't be able to be penetrated. This can result in frustration if he's taking several AFVs with the upgrade that lets you move, shoot, move again. He will constantly be moving, as any sane Eldar player would, and your Long Fangs will have a tough time placing the crucial shot.

Anything works, but it all boils down to personal preference.

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 12 Dec 2005, 07:45   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Every game where I've faced Terminators with Eldar, the Termies have been dead in one turn. Starcannons, Eldar Long Rifles and Bright Lances make short work of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 12 Dec 2005, 09:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

An wraithlords have termies beat when it comes to being the toughest thing alive with wounds and armor saves...come to think of it, so do a lot of Tyranids.

I'd take the long fangs, the cause of the severe beatings that you continually take is your inability to deal with his falcon. The only prescription is more cowbell...and some lascannons (which will help against wraithlords and avatars, too).

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 12 Dec 2005, 14:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Good, your playing 1000 points. I just played 1000 points Eldar, and I actually won.

(bear with me, I don't have an Eldar dex )

I faced two WraithLords, 5 or 6 eldar missile guys with Farseer behind rock behind these guys. Avatar and Falcon with striking Scropions.

I had one rhino, two squads of Grey hunters, Long fangs, and two dreds (one ven). both with assault cannon and Missile launcher. One WGBL. LongFangs had Multi-Melta (I should have used a Las Cannon, but did not bring that model) two missile launchers and heavy bolter.

What I recommend is two Heavy bolters, one Missile, and one Lascannon. Frag missile make a good template but if you eldar player knows they are coming, his units will be spread out.

I used the rhino as mobile cover because it was easy to destroy. The reason the LFs did not get taken out faster was because I had two units running toward the Avatar and WL (they were together) with PFs and Meltaguns with my HQ with a Frostblade.

The tank will get lanced so becareful with it.

My dreds lasted long because they were behind cover untill the WL got close enough to get torn up with rending shots.

If you have the bits, make your unit instead of buying the Long Fang set, which is expensive. Start off with Missile Launchers and heavy bolters. I think you can buy a Las cannon guy separtely later on, but two ML and two Hvy Bolters would do good, so start from there.

Use the extra money to buy a dred.

On terminators, they rock but they only really work in 1500 point or up. They get expensive for us wolves, and they need serious back up, or they are getting shot down quickly.

WT

I Can post the list I used if you want but that is pretty much it. Good Luck.
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 13 Dec 2005, 05:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

i'd honestly have to say avoid both. like has been said, long fangs can't absorb fire at all. after the first casualty, they lose the ability to split fire (never that great to start with), and after the second casualty, they start losing expensive heavy weapons. and space wolf terminators just plain cost a fortune. they cost at least 3 points more than a regular terminator (assuming power weapon and storm bolter)

instead, get something like a tank (maybe a predator or vindicator), or a few land speeders, or spend more points on your troops. all those will do much more to strengthen your army than either of your listed suggestions

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 13 Dec 2005, 11:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
they cost at least 3 points more than a regular terminator (assuming power weapon and storm bolter)
You mean SW termies get power weapons instead of powerfists? That's awesome! As for the extra points, DA has the same drawback...our termies, bikes, and speeders all cost extra, for microscopic upgrades that we might not want in the first place. For example, for terminators, you have to buy the "stubborn" upgrade for every model, whereas power-armored squads get the benefit for the entire squad from putting the upgrade on just the sergeant. Naturally, you have to make the sergeant a veteran, too, but that's worthwhile in and of itself, and still comes in cheaper than making termies stubborn (which is mandatory)...so I understand about SW termies being points-inefficient. As for the long fangs, I don't think he's taking them for the purpose of splitting fires (although, the guy with mixed weapons certainly is), he's taking them to try and shoot down that falcon...which is going to need so much firepower that not being able to split fires after the first casualty is irrelevant. Even if they get lucky and down the falcon on turn 1, I remember him mentioning he also faces wraithlords, so there will still be targets out there worthy of massed lascannon fire. Of course, if the long fangs only kill the falcon before they die, it was still worth it. After the falcon is dead, they can snipe grots, for all I care!

I still say for the purpose of killing the falcon (I know you already have a las-pred), adding lascannon longfangs (missile launchers will work, too) is the way to go.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread