Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vindicator question
Closed Thread
Old 09 Dec 2005, 13:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Vindicator question

I don't play Space Marines, but my friend does, and all he does is praise the Vindicator, saying its one of the best tanks in the game. Is it really that good? It has a weak side armor, and a very weak defensive weapon. Even if the Demolisher cannon is good, it is very short-range and thr tank can be shot down before getting in range. Is it good or is what my friend said all talk?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 09 Dec 2005, 14:04   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Vindicator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Black Behemoth
I don't play Space Marines, but my friend does, and all he does is praise the Vindicator, saying its one of the best tanks in the game. Is it really that good? It has a weak side armor, and a very weak defensive weapon. Even if the Demolisher cannon is good, it is very short-range and thr tank can be shot down before getting in range. Is it good or is what my friend said all talk?
All talk.

The Vindicator has average armour, and Siege Armour means any hits from above strike side armour, not rear... however, when compared to its Imperial Guard equivalents (Thunderer and Demolisher), it fails to shine. Weaker armour, lacking in speed, and with no secondary armaments to speak of, the Vindicator is not a tank of choice for open combat.

That said, it is a Siege Tank, and as such it belongs in Siege. Cityfights are the bread and butter of this machine.

But your average game? Waste of points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 09 Dec 2005, 14:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I always take a Vindicator on my Space Marine lists. Normally people shake their heads and complain about the lack of range, mediocre armor, etc. But like most unti entries- properly used- you can successfully integrate one of humankind's greatest advantages in the 41st millenium: Ordnance.

My vindicator has never disappointed me on the tabletop. 24" range could be improved, but I don't consider this tank to have the same battlefield role as a Leman Russ- sit back and drop pie plates. A well-played Vindicator relies on movement, on knowing what part of the field you want to get to, knowing when not to fire, and being very deliberate about its key targets. Vindicators can be downright terrifying when your opponent has managed to keep the thing alive in the late rounds of the game, and he's using it to wipe out whatever you have left.

In short- I consider the vindicator to require more skill and forethought to use than many tanks, but very rewarding once you get the hang of it.

Old 09 Dec 2005, 15:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmm. So does anyone have an idea on how I can wipe his smirk off his face?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 09 Dec 2005, 15:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I think the Vindicator is brilliant [but then again, I use Salamanders so love close range fire-power].

You cant just compare it to Guard Tanks. Marine Tanks play a different role, as Yriel just explained. It is one of only two ordnance weapons Marines have access too and is much better for dealing with heavy infantry etc than the Whirlwind.

It is even better under 4th Ed because it can move and fire. Plus, it is a pretty cheap tank too.

All in all, I think the Vindicator is well worth the points and I rarely field a Marine army without one.
Old 09 Dec 2005, 16:03   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Vindicators are pretty nice tanks when used in correct situations. Supporting a charge. Have it ride up with your units. Nothing softens up an enemy like a siege shell. I personally like to use it to blow holes in enemies that like to charge. Like a squad of berzerkers are frenzying towards you. Pop a pie plate on em. One squad of berzerkers down, and that tank has just paid for its points.
Old 09 Dec 2005, 16:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Do the Tau have to fear the Vindicator above all else? If not, how can I show my friend this?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 09 Dec 2005, 16:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Black Behemoth
Hmm. So does anyone have an idea on how I can wipe his smirk off his face?
Well, while I like the Vindicator- it still has plenty of drawbacks. Range is a big one. If your opponent has not properly deployed his Vindicator- you can play keep away until you've lined up a decent shot or have successfully assaulted his tank (this route requires more skill than shooting it).

Vindicators have to get in close to do their damage. Keep this in mind when he's wheeling it around- use your mobility to draw him out to areas of the field without decent cover, and preferably areas where you can line up multiple hits on him. Mobile tanks can be trapped, and because a Vindicator is not a fast tank- it's easier to trap than skimmers or fast vehicles.

Old 09 Dec 2005, 17:49   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Vindicators are most definately a short range tank first and foremost. I usually put it with my termies to soak up fire and, if they do make it the distance, they, paired up can do a whole lot of damage. Especially against tau ;D. But then again, that does limit the two units movement.............
Old 09 Dec 2005, 21:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

I agree with everything Yriel and Arguleon said.

Vindicator:Incredible amount of money (but small points)
Look on Ork player's face: Priceless

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Closed Thread