Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Multi-Melta Dreadnoughts? Cyclone Missile Launchers? Shotguns?
Closed Thread
Old 07 Dec 2005, 21:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default Multi-Melta Dreadnoughts? Cyclone Missile Launchers? Shotguns?

These and more are choices I've never seen on the battle field. And there are other units I haven't seen often. I've got a list of rarer units and traits and such I've seen little or have yet to see;

1)Multi-Melta Dreadnoughts
2)Termies with a Cyclone Launcher
3)"Shooty" Command Squads
4)Scouts with Sotguns
5)I know you guys have probaly seen these, but I haven't seen many Razerbacks. Probably cuse lack of experience...and time of playing the game...
6)Drop Pods
7)Typhoon Speeders
8)Bikers
9)Multi-Meltas in Tact and Devastator Squads
10) Demolisher
11)Land Raider Crusader
12)Captain Shrike
13)Captain Lysander
14)Chaplain Cassius
15)Tiguius
16)Tyrannic War veterans
17)Ultramarines Honor Guard
18)Marneus Calgar
Traits
Be Swift as the Wind
Blessed be the Warriors
Never Despair
Purity Above All
Scions of Mars
Suffer not the alien to live
Uphold the honor of the emporer

I just notcied these weren't used much. Most of them are no-brainers, as they are bad decision. Others just seem not to be popular. Anyone want to add to things they haven't seen much, or comment on these? Just a topic of interest.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 07 Dec 2005, 21:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn
Default Re: Multi-Melta Dreadnoughts? Cyclone Missile Launchers? Shotguns?

The only one I've seen in use on that list is the Vindicator (I assume thats what you meant by Demolisher?). I was actually planning on making some Cyclone-termies myself, although I suppose the reason nobody goes for them is because Assault Cannons own all . They look cool though.

Only thing I can think of that I have never seen before is Veteran Space Marine squads. To be honest, I had never really looked closely at the entry in the new codex until now, but some of their weapon upgrades look pretty sweet. I had basically always assumed that they were just more expensive Tactical Squads for a little extra Leadership, leaving my Elites choices to be filled up with good ol' Terminators and Dreadnaughts .
Old 07 Dec 2005, 22:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

'1)Multi-Melta Dreadnoughts'

This is my favoured weapon on my Dreads as I play Salamanders. I've seen quite a few others too.

'2)Termies with a Cyclone Launcher'

I've seen a fair few, but you are bound to see them less now that the Assault Cannon is better than it against armour.

'3)"Shooty" Command Squads'

I remember the good old DA, Plasma death squad with the banner of fortitude was it? Anyway, it let you rapid fire if you moved [this was back in 3rd Ed, so nobody else could do this]. You had a pair of Plasma Guns and about 3 Combi-Plasmas, jump out a Rhino and just shred a squad down.

'4)Scouts with Sotguns'

They are the only Scouts I use, they are the Scouts I see more often than most others besides Sniper Scouts.

'5)I know you guys have probaly seen these, but I haven't seen many Razerbacks. Probably cuse lack of experience...and time of playing the game...'

I rarely see them either, I do remember playing a DA player with his army packed with them though.

'6)Drop Pods'

They are one of the most popular SM armies now.

'7)Typhoon Speeders'

I've never, ever seen one used.

'8)Bikers'

I see them every now and again. Bikes are cool. Never see Scout Bikers though, the closest is my Arbite Rapid Pursuit team that uses Scout Biker models with the front plate from the Chaplain Bike.

'9)Multi-Meltas in Tact and Devastator Squads'

Guessing there aren't many Salamander players that you play?

'10) Demolisher'

I use one and see them all the time, a very popular tank. I think there was a player at this years GT that had quite a bit of success with a Vindicator firing line.

'11)Land Raider Crusader'

I see them just as much as a regular Land Raider.

'12)Captain Shrike
13)Captain Lysander
14)Chaplain Cassius
15)Tiguius
18)Marneus Calgar
'

Your never going to see too much of special characters.

'16)Tyrannic War veterans
'

I dont see them either, but one will probably only be used against Nids.

'Never Despair'

I see it all the time due to it being a Salamander thing, it is a rubbish trait though. Your opponent pretty much gets the rule too.
Old 08 Dec 2005, 00:24   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Veterans rule! You pay an extra few points for infiltrate, much better than the old rules where you pay for the Leadershipyou were never going to use... Pity my new army can't use them, because i really like the new rules.

I have a multi-melta Dreadnaught, but prefer to use Assault cannons really, ditto with Terminators and Cyclone missile launchers, I pick assault cannons every time. Shooty command squads are a good idea in big games, you pick a LD 10 commander and give him a command squad with 2 heavy weapons. They can sit at the back out of trouble and fire out of a wood or something.

I also don't see many razorbacks. Most armies i've seen either use loads or none at all, and i'm yet to see a space marine player that doesn't at least own a vindicator. They're just too cool!

I didn't even know typhoon's were still in it, I just looked at the stats and they suck big time. I recall the models being quite funky though.
Old 08 Dec 2005, 08:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
1)Multi-Melta Dreadnoughts
Uh, yeah...only for salamanders.

Quote:
2)Termies with a Cyclone Launcher
I used them in 3rd edition. Might be useful now against a horde. 5 stormbolters and 2 frag missiles? Not a lot of firepower, but they are termies, after all. And a cyclone plus stormbolter is probably better than the 2 extra shots the AC offers, against nids and the like.

Quote:
3)"Shooty" Command Squads
Perhaps this is because there are no shooty HQ characters?

Quote:
4)Scouts with Shotguns
I haven't seen these, either. It's either BP/CCW or snipers around here.

Quote:
5)I know you guys have probaly seen these, but I haven't seen many Razerbacks. Probably cuse lack of experience...and time of playing the game...
I like to take a lascannon razorback for my HQ. It's nearly as useful as a lascannon dreadnaught, but it doesn't take a slot (not that I fill 3 elites slots, I'm troops-based!), and it looks less intimidating, so it tends to draw less fire than a dread...till it pots its first tank, at which time its done its job anyway.

Quote:
6)Drop Pods
The new dex should make these as popular as the old rhino rush...more's the pity :

Quote:
7)Typhoon Speeders
Why? They look great, but IG grenade launchers offer similar performance at a fraction of the price. Horrible choice!

Quote:
8)Bikers
Turbo boosting rules should make these more popular. I have 4 ravenwing bikes (one is a multimelta, too bad I have to take them in pairs now).

Quote:
9)Multi-Meltas in Tact and Devastator Squads
Eventually, marine players will realize that they can now infiltrate their multimeltas and abandon the "their range sucks" prejudice.

Quote:
10) Demolisher
I use one in my IG army ;D Oh, I know a blood angels player who fields a vindicator.

Quote:
11)Land Raider Crusader
I have one. Fielded it 4 times. 3 of those times, it died before I got my first turn (I have rotten luck with rolling for first turn), which is unbelievably bad luck (given that all of these enemies had only 3-4 S8+ weapons in their entire armies). The other time, it killed half of the enemy army all by itself, ending the game immobilised in the enemy deployment zone...with nothing alive within 24". Incredible tank, but suffers from costing too many points. It's a must for assault terminators, though, letting you pack in 8 models instead of 5, and brining along the necessary fire support, all in one package.

Quote:
12)Captain Shrike
13)Captain Lysander
14)Chaplain Cassius
15)Tiguius
18)Marneus Calgar
Yeah...never seen them. Have seen BA, SW, and DA special characters, though.

Quote:
16)Tyrannic War veterans
Just recently released. You'll see more of them.

Quote:
Traits
Be Swift as the Wind
Blessed be the Warriors
Never Despair
Purity Above All
Scions of Mars
Suffer not the alien to live
Uphold the honor of the emporer
These don't get used much because they're fluffy. The ones that get used are cheesy (by comparison). Goes to show people's true motivations for taking traits, and it aint fluff!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 08 Dec 2005, 12:19   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

I use the drawback version of Never Despair, "Death before Dishonour". I can't use the characters as I have my own chapter, I've seen razorbacks used a fair bit, but apart from that I don't think I've seen too many items on this list used regularly. Oh, except the cycloone missile launcher for the termies. I don't really know why they aren't used, it's weird.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Old 08 Dec 2005, 14:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One long range antitank shot, or two medium ranged shots plus a blast template...versus 4 medium ranged shots. Sounds like the cyclone is more versatile...but when you factor in the 6" move, the 30" range of the assault cannon is plenty. Plus, terminators have no business pulling antitank duties. Even in Deathwing, you're better off taking a dreadnaught for tank-busting. The only thing that the frag/stormbolter combo does better than the assault cannon is horde control. But in 3rd edition, the cyclone was king!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 08 Dec 2005, 19:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

I thought of doing a Ultramarine's list using either Honor Guard or Tyranid Hunters before...but not both, that is too much...

And note that i haven't been playing long. and no, as you guessed, I've never seen a Salamander Army.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Closed Thread