Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 Space Wolf List - Opinions Please
Closed Thread
Old 07 Dec 2005, 02:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 1500 Space Wolf List - Opinions Please

Okay, here is a 1500 pt list for general missions and tournament type games(1490 at the moment) I have cooked up for Space Wolves. The idea is simple: the Blood Claws in their Rhino rush into cover near enemies, disembark, then the next turn shoot and assault the enemy, supported by a Grey Hunter squad as needed. One or both of the Grey Hunter squads may move to take objectives/hold important places, but in general are looking for a fight.

Landspeeder draws fire and chews up enemy infantry (maybe light tank hunting, the possibilities are limitless with an Assault Cannon). The Ven Dread wades in knee deep to carnage, while the Predator takes out tough enemy units and vehicles. The scouts arrive from behind the enemy to shoot rear armor of vehicles or assault enemy heavy support.

One side question I have: Would drop pods for some or all of my army work? I had a REALLY bad experience once against Dark Eldar where I drop podded half my army while the other half was deployed normally. I was killed to the man in 3 turns. I got the impression that when it comes to drop pods, it's all or nothing. Am I right?

Okay, here's the list. It's themed, but that's not important. General advice welcome. Thanks,
-Trainik

1500 pt Space Wolf List
HQ
-Shimrod of Trilda- Rune Priest w/Frost Blade, Bolt Pistol, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tail Talisman - 129
-Granice of Troicinet - Venerable Dreadnought with Assault Cannon and Heavy Flamers. Searchlights, Smoke Launcher, Heavy Armor. - 174

Elites
-Scouts of North Ulfland (Gax) - 6 Wolf Scouts: 2 w/ Plasma Pistol, 2 w/ Power Weapons, 1 w/ Meltagun, 1 w/ Bolter/ccw -134
-Sir Yane - Wolf Guard Leader w/ Power Fist, Bolt Pistol and Wolf Pelt. Leads* - 48 pts.
-Sir Tristano - Wolf Guard Leader w/ Power Fist, Bolt Pistol and Wolf Pelt. Leads* - 48 pts.

Troops
-Warriors of Domreis- 9 Grey Hunters: 2 w/ Plasma Pistols, 1 w/ Meltagun, 1 w/ Power Weapon, 1 w/ Power Fist, 4 w/ Bolters and ccw. Led by Sir Yane. - 208 pts.
-Rhino w/ extra armor, searchlight, and smoke launchers. Transport for Warriors of Domreis- (59 pts)

-Warriors of Watershade- 9 Grey Hunters: 2 w/ Plasma Pistols, 1 w/ Meltagun, 1 w/ Power Weapon, 1 w/ Power Fist, 4 w/ Bolters and ccw. Led by Sir Tristano. - 208 pts.
-Rhino w/ extra armor, searchlight, and smoke launchers. Transport for Warriors of Watershade- (59 pts)

-Recruits from Doun Darric- 9 Blood Claws: 2 w/ Power Fists, 1 w/ Flamer, 7 w/ Bolt pistol and ccw. Led by Shimrod of Trilda. - 150
-Rhino w/ extra armor, searchlight, and smoke launchers. Transport for Recruits from Doun Darric- (59 pts)

Fast Attack
Knights of Pomperol - Land Speeder Tornado with Heavy Bolter and Assault Cannon. - 80

Heavy Support
PoŽlitetz - Predator Destructor w/ Sponson Lascannons, Smoke Launchers, Heavy Armor, Searchlights. -134

Old 08 Dec 2005, 07:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 1500 Space Wolf List - Opinions Please

ok, for starters...the leader on the grey hunters should lead the scouts...secondly, the scouts...should lose the power weapons. with this minor alteration, the scouts now have at least as much combat power as before, plus a better chance of stopping tanks and heavy stuff...power weapons are pretty poor in comparison to a fist

next, all the grey huners power weapons should be power fists...same deal

also, i'd consider losing one bloodclaw to stick the lord in with them

one land speeder...not really enough, IMO. take 2 or more in seperate squadrons or leave 'em at home...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 08 Dec 2005, 21:33   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm not quite sure I understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
ok, for starters...the leader on the grey hunters should lead the scouts
You mean one of the Wolf Guard Leaders should lead the scout squad, dropping him from the Grey Hunters?

Quote:
econdly, the scouts...should lose the power weapons. with this minor alteration, the scouts now have at least as much combat power as before, plus a better chance of stopping tanks and heavy stuff...power weapons are pretty poor in comparison to a fist
Can Wolf Scouts even get power fists? I'm looking in the Codex, and I don't see it.

Quote:
also, i'd consider losing one bloodclaw to stick the lord in with them
They are already led by my Rune Priest, if that's what you mean. I don't have a Lord.

My Grey Hunters have Power Weapons for two reasons. A) They save points, and my army is close to the limit. B) I don't have enough power fists and I try not to proxy. What is a good way to get power fists without spending lots of money? (I'm aware neither are very good reasons, so I intend to implement your idea as soon as practical).

I may have missed your point entirely though. Are you recommending I take out the Wolf Guard Leaders entirely?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 08 Dec 2005, 21:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

my bad, i misread some of it...i thought that the claws were lead by a wolf guard leader

and yes, i mean one of the wolf guard leaders should be dropped from the grey hunters packs to lead the scouts. this is how the scouts can gain access to a power fist

and i'm not recommending that you drop the leaders entirely, unless you're planning on scrounging enough points for another squad

as for the fists in the hunters: if you lose the power weapons in the scouts squad, you'll easily have enough to turn the power weapons in the hunter squads into fists. as for getting them cheaply dollar-wise...sorry to say i don't actually have a way...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 08 Dec 2005, 22:18   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Okay, that helps a lot, thanks. I'm cutting the list down to 1250 for tomorrow. I am thinking of cutting the scouts and the landspeeder and mounting the other guys in drop pods. It's either the scouts or the Wolf Guard, I don't I can afford to lose either my troop choices or my tank. Any thoughts?

P.S. I really appreciate your feedback, I know I've been asking an awful lot of questions lately.
Old 09 Dec 2005, 01:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainik
-Shimrod of Trilda- Rune Priest w/Frost Blade, Bolt Pistol, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tail Talisman - 129
BloodiedFangs pretty much hit the nail on the head, the only problem is that I'm pretty sure that you added this HQ wrong! Right now the Rune Priest is 105 when I added it, and the only way that he would be 129 is if he were a Wolf Priest, and if you meant Wolf Tooth Necklace instead of the Talisman.

I also think that the Wolf Guard Leaders might be a point or two off, but that's not much of a difference.

As for the changes to lessen the list to 1250, definately do not drop any Troops choices, but you might consider keeping the Landspeeder. I'd probably drop the Wolf Guard Leaders, they may look good on paper but can be very fragile and raise the numbers of the squads that they are in. Drop the Scouts as you said, and consider even dropping the Ven Dread and replacing him with a cheaper HQ. That's about all I can think of without seriously compromising the list.

Don't worry about all the questions, that's what Tau Online is for.*

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Old 09 Dec 2005, 02:00   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I forgot to add the Belt of Russ. My bad.

Yeah, I think the Wolf Guard leaders are a bit pricey... but I do like the extra power fists. I also really like the Ven. Dread, since he provides some important heavy(ish) fire I think.

One main weakness with this army is its lack of armor punching capability. I'd be hard pressed to force Mech Tau to a confrontation, since it would be hard to kill any tanks or catch many crisis suits. Or am I wrong?

I kind of like the Landspeeder myself though (in that same medium firepower category), and I am seriously considering dropping the Wolf Guard leaders to keep the Landspeeder. And the scouts are definitely gone. Thanks for the input.
Old 09 Dec 2005, 10:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

mech-tau still have to dismount to do anything interesting, and when they do, you can pounce. and if you keep the pred, it should be able to drop the tanks without too much difficulty. just make sure you deal with anything toting railguns fairly rapidly, or at least give 'em something more worrying to think about (for instance, corner 'em with rhinos packed with troops)

Closed Thread