Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000pt 13th company army - constructive criticism welcomed....
Closed Thread
Old 04 Dec 2005, 16:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 1000pt 13th company army - constructive criticism welcomed....

1000 point 13th company army - for a tourney....

never having played a tournemant before - and not having played properly since the Tau first made an appearance (I started when the first necron ever appeared, then stopped when Tau arrived, then started again about 3 months ago - jus' bought m'13th company army - I like the fluff)

Wolf Lord
Belt of Russ
Rune Armour
Pair Lightning Claws
Wolf Tooth Necklace
Frag 'nades
total = 161

Rune Priest
Wolf tooth necklace
Rune armour
Frost Blade
Frag 'nades
total = 131

6 Storm Claws
Wolf Guard
Power weapon
Power fist
Wolf Guard
- Mark of the wulfen
- power fist

total = 207

6 Grey slayers

melta gun

Wolf guard
- Mark of the wulfen
- power fist

total = 171

6 Grey slayers
Wolf guard
- Mark of the wulfen
- power fist
total = 171

4 Long fangs
Pack leader
3 Missile launchers

total = 150

army total = 998

I'm not 100% on that cutting the mustard at a campaign though....especially against eldar

edit 2: why is no-one replying???

EDIT - Please don't post individual points costs for things.
Veq.
Old 04 Dec 2005, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: 1000pt 13th company army - constructive criticism welcomed....

I think the list needs some work.

You have the Rune Priest with the really useful Gate power, yet you have no units to take advantage of this. Gice that Grey Slayer Squad with Melta Gun either another Melta or two Plasma and give your Priest a Plasma Pistol. This will then give you either two S8 and 1 S7 shot or 5 S7 shots when you gate in and unload your firepower, this is in addition to the Bolters.
I'd go with the double Plasma. Perhaps give the Wolf Guard a Plasma Pistol too for 6 S7 shots.

I'd drop the other Slayer Squad to free up points.

I'd add another Long Fang and drop a Missile Launcher, then you have a couple of models in the squad that can be removed without reducing much effectiveness.

With the points freed up from dropping the Slayer Squad. I'd get 3 bikes - 2 with Melta Guns. These can then help with tank busting and/or support the Slayer Squad due to their speed.

If you have any points left over, add a model or two to the Claw Squad.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 19:25   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
I think the list needs some work.

You have the Rune Priest with the really useful Gate power, yet you have no units to take advantage of this. Gice that Grey Slayer Squad with Melta Gun either another Melta or two Plasma and give your Priest a Plasma Pistol. This will then give you either two S8 and 1 S7 shot or 5 S7 shots when you gate in and unload your firepower, this is in addition to the Bolters.
I'd go with the double Plasma. Perhaps give the Wolf Guard a Plasma Pistol too for 6 S7 shots.

I'll drop the Wulfen Mark from the non-melta squad, then I can give the priest a plas pistol 'n' the squad a plas gun....

I'd drop the other Slayer Squad to free up points.

I'd be illegal then - with less than two troop choices

I'd add another Long Fang and drop a Missile Launcher, then you have a couple of models in the squad that can be removed without reducing much effectiveness.

why drop a missile launcher? I'd be losing effectiveness before taking casualties surely?

With the points freed up from dropping the Slayer Squad. I'd get 3 bikes - 2 with Melta Guns. These can then help with tank busting and/or support the Slayer Squad due to their speed.

I can't, illegal-ness. Anyway, I'd prefer wolves for the speed and free move etc.

If you have any points left over, add a model or two to the Claw Squad.
some nice ideas there - especially the plasma gun stuff Cheers
Old 05 Dec 2005, 21:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

'I'd be illegal then - with less than two troop choices'

Ah, yes. In that case I'd change the Claw Squad to Slayers.

'why drop a missile launcher? I'd be losing effectiveness before taking casualties surely?'

Yes, but you'd be more effective for longer overall, plus I was working off the assumption there would be a couple of Melta Gun toting Bikes riding around. The way your Long Fang Squad is now, every model you take off is at least 36 points.

I think the Bikes would be valuable as they are fast enough [with Turbo Boost] to get up and support a gated squad, they will also be able to survive despite the small numbers due to the boost invulnerable save.

Im not sure about the whole dropping the Claws thing actually, it would help, as the Bikes will come in really handy, but your are losing a very offensive unit. I guess the Bikes would have to wait for a bigger army.
Old 06 Dec 2005, 03:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

ok, firstly, while veq's idea is nice, its illegal...long fangs MUST have a heavy weapons...

next, drop every instance of runic armour. its basically trash. in fact, strip you wolf lord down to just his lightning claws and frags. you need more bodies. and your runepriest can lose his wolf teeth as well. if you want some worthwhile gear, get MotW for the lord

trun all those points you just saved into extra fighting bodies

next, lose the MotW's on the grey slayers, use 'em to buy more special weapons and bodies, make your fangs squad legal again and turn the power weapon in the claws into a fist...

one more thing: if you wanna make your fangs more survivable, turn 'em into 2 squads of 3, each with 2 missile launchers...its pricier, but more effective

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 06 Dec 2005, 13:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

'long fangs MUST have a heavy weapons...'

So they do, wow, Fangs are aweful. No meat shield at all in the unit.

I agree with Fangs that you need to tone down your equipment a little, besides Plasma Pistols for your gating squad.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 17:47   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

next, drop every instance of runic armour. its basically trash. in fact, strip you wolf lord down to just his lightning claws and frags. you need more bodies. and your runepriest can lose his wolf teeth as well. if you want some worthwhile gear, get MotW for the lord
trun all those points you just saved into extra fighting bodies

Why should I drop the runic armour - I'm thinking the save could be/will be useful in combat - where I intend to end up...
MotW sounds good - except I'd rather take the wolf tooth necklace, hit on 3's 'n' not be hit on 3's - though the +D3 attacks sure are tempting....

next, lose the MotW's on the grey slayers, use 'em to buy more special weapons and bodies, make your fangs squad legal again and turn the power weapon in the claws into a fist...

Lose the MotW's - it makes the squad so savage in combat though, I could drop it off the one squad, leave one squad with it though - the one with the melta gun....add a plasma gun to that squad

one more thing: if you wanna make your fangs more survivable, turn 'em into 2 squads of 3, each with 2 missile launchers...its pricier, but more effective

That's a bloody good plan - I'm probably gonna get my army list and adjust 'n' adapt as I carry on playing.....thankye kindly for the tips though - the long fangs point is quite damned good! - if I lose the extra fang I can add the fist to the claws and a flamer somewhere....hmmmm - s'a lot to think about
Old 13 Dec 2005, 05:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

runic armour good in combat?? bah!! the only people trying to kill characters will have power weapons or fists, which kinda render the runic armour useless...normal infantry just can't land enough hits to make it worth it against a characters. they're better off trashing the squad hiding the power fist that's busily munching on 'em and their characters

MotW is a waste on grey slayers. their prime perogative isn't to gain combat as quick as possible...they provide support. they move forward or around or whatever, and provide covering fire and the capacity to take table quarters. leave the marks for the combat units. not least cos the extrea bodies you add can make a real difference (believe me, i've tried armies with every possible model having MotW...just turned out to be a waste and almost got me killed)

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 14 Dec 2005, 21:39   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
runic armour good in combat?? bah!! the only people trying to kill characters will have power weapons or fists, which kinda render the runic armour useless...normal infantry just can't land enough hits to make it worth it against a characters. they're better off trashing the squad hiding the power fist that's busily munching on 'em and their characters

MotW is a waste on grey slayers. their prime perogative isn't to gain combat as quick as possible...they provide support. they move forward or around or whatever, and provide covering fire and the capacity to take table quarters. leave the marks for the combat units. not least cos the extrea bodies you add can make a real difference (believe me, i've tried armies with every possible model having MotW...just turned out to be a waste and almost got me killed)
S'a good point about the armour -cheers for the tip....

in fact, they're all good points - cheers :-)

*wanders off to edit army list*
Closed Thread