Warhammer 40K Forum

1500Pts Sons of Erebus
Closed Thread
Old 02 Dec 2005, 05:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to penguindw
Default 1500Pts Sons of Erebus

Hi peoples,
I've nearly completed my Sisters of Battle army and now I want to go back to my marines that I never seem to be able to finish.

I've been thinking this list through for quite a while and now i want to see what you guys have to say about it. Just tell me what you think, maybe there is some major flaw in the list that I haven't seen.

[size=20pt]Sons of Erebus[/size]

Traits:Purity Above All, Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients, Die Standing, Eye to Eye

HQ
Librarian* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 179
Bolt Pistol, Terminator Honours, Iron Halo,Fear of the Darkness, Might of Heroes, Infiltrate

Command Squad 9* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 259
Company Champion, Veteran Sergeant; Power Fist, Apothecary, 2x Multi Melta, BPs+CCWs, Infiltrate

Elites
Venerable Dreadnought* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 173
T-L Lascannon, Missile Launcher, Tank Hunter, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

Venerable Dreadnought* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 173
T-L Lascannon, Missile Launcher, Tank Hunter, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

Troops
Tactical Squad* 10* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 235
Apothecary, Power Fist, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon

Tactical Squad* 10* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 235
Apothecary, Power Fist, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon

Heavy Support
Dreadnought* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 133
T-L Lascannon, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

Dreadnought* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 113
Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Total* * *1500

Basic battle plan revolves around having a strong defensive line with the two tactical squads with one or two Dreads in support. The other dreads are set up so as to take advantage of the terrain were they slowly advance.* The Command Squad then deploys where appropriate depending upon the opposition,* their multi meltas provide them with the opportunity to go tank hunting if necessary.* The command squad is well equipped to perform well away from the rest of the army as long as I donít them to get shot to bits.

Once again comments are more than welcome.
Old 03 Dec 2005, 03:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 1500Pts Sons of Erebus

The problem with your list is there's too few models___30 Marines and 4 Dreads are easily swamped, even by Thousand Sons!!
Also, Dreads are hard to make work appropriatly, needing a lot of support from the rest of the army to be effective. And they're quite easy to blow off.

You should maybe use your Assault Cannon/DCCW Dread as a Veteran, and the TL Las/ML Dreads as standard ones. AC/DCCW Dreads are going to be in the middle of melees more often, due to their shorter range/melee capabilities, thus it will be more beneficiary to them.

The AT Venerable Dreads as you've put on your list are going to be useful, but not that much more than regular TL Las/ML Dreads, as Tank Hunter will only truly be useful in engagements VS multiple Land Raiders (and the odds that these happen...). They're also long-ranged, so they'll be often your last units charged. They won't need Venerable status as much.

You also lack mobility, which adds to your swampiness factor.

Your best bet could be to use an all Drop Pod army, as you won't have any range problem, so you could stick to shorter range weapons, which are cheaper quite often. pods are cheap, very accurate, quite safe and easy to model at home!

The other could be to drop a Dread or 2 so you could field Rhinoes or more Tac squads, as you're lacking on manpower. You should also drop the Company Champ, all Apothecaries and the Plasma Cannons___these are all fluffy, yet too costly options. Another option could be to use See But Don't Be Seen to grant Infiltration to your Tac squads.
Old 03 Dec 2005, 06:23   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to penguindw

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_kodo
The problem with your list is there's too few models___30 Marines and 4 Dreads are easily swamped, even by Thousand Sons!!
I know the army is small but you have no idea how resiliant the two tactical squads are. Apothecaries are well worth their points cost two ignored failed saves and their points are back. this also serves as an annoyance to the opponent as they never seem to be able to put the marines down. The army is also small as I want a challenge and don't want to have to paint too many marines, (I've got enough Sisters and Orks thanks).

Quote:
You should maybe use your Assault Cannon/DCCW Dread as a Veteran, and the TL Las/ML Dreads as standard ones. AC/DCCW Dreads are going to be in the middle of melees more often, due to their shorter range/melee capabilities, thus it will be more beneficiary to them.
The AT Venerable Dreads as you've put on your list are going to be useful, but not that much more than regular TL Las/ML Dreads, as Tank Hunter will only truly be useful in engagements VS multiple Land Raiders (and the odds that these happen...). They're also long-ranged, so they'll be often your last units charged. They won't need Venerable status as much.
Venerable status is much more useful when the dread is not planning on entering combat. When a dread is in combat most units stand no chance at all of harming them. People are also rightfully afraid of the tank hunter venerable dreads as they will rip armour to shreds. So what if they don't have 3 land raiders armour is still very difficult to get rid of. I also feel it is better to protect the more expensive dread with the venerable status.

Quote:
You also lack mobility, which adds to your swampiness factor.
I know I lack mobility once again I wanted a change of army if i want to play a mobile army I'll use my transport heavy Sisters army.

Quote:
Your best bet could be to use an all Drop Pod army, as you won't have any range problem, so you could stick to shorter range weapons, which are cheaper quite often. pods are cheap, very accurate, quite safe and easy to model at home!
The other could be to drop a Dread or 2 so you could field Rhinoes or more Tac squads, as you're lacking on manpower. You should also drop the Company Champ, all Apothecaries and the Plasma Cannons___these are all fluffy, yet too costly options. Another option could be to use See But Don't Be Seen to grant Infiltration to your Tac squads.
I do not want to change the traits of the army, if I do its like turning the army completely away from how I want the list to look. I enjoy the way that they are able to combine and contribute to interesting fluff for this armys background, (coming soon). I also want my marine army to be something a little more interesting than, oh, another marine drop pod army.

If you are worrying about cost of some items you aren't really viewing the list in the way it should be viewed. I believe that many of the items that you mentioned are under utilised by players and are too often overlooked. On apothecaries, in your opinion what it cost to ignore all morale checks from shooting attacks and ignoring a unsaved wound every turn. It is well worth the cost in my opinion.

Also man power problems will be solved when going from 1500 points to 2000. But currently it is managable as I do have alot more models more or less from ignoring casualties with the apothecaries.
Old 03 Dec 2005, 06:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I play Marines too and trust me___apothecary or no, your guys are gonna get powerlunched. 10 men Tac squads hold well to most shooting, apart for Battlecannons, 20+ rapid-fired Pulse rifles, squadrons of Starcannons Warwalkers,... But versus most melee armies, they're nothing more than cat chow :'(...

AC/DCCW Ven Dreads are a bit more survivable against h1dd3n PwnerFists and Rending nasties___otherwise you'll tie down almost anything else 'til Ragnarok!

I do like your trait combo, creating a Hospitalier-type chapter, set on preserving the life of the most deserving. However, you'll be in for some uphill battles!
Old 04 Dec 2005, 17:53   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

actually I love the fluffiness of this army. But yeah It will get destroyed be whole lots of enemies. though I'd drop the twin linked las on one of those dreads for another assault cannon cause assault cannons are awsome. But yeah you are going to have a tough time against the likes of chaos and necrons and tau and tyranids.
Closed Thread