Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

In the Emperor's name! - New chapter idea
Closed Thread
Old 01 Dec 2005, 18:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default In the Emperor's name! - New chapter idea

Howdy all. I hope this is the right forum cos it does have model piccies.

I've decided to revamp my marine army which is a bit of a state. Most arent painted to any scheme, and are a motley collection of about 4 or 5 different colours and models from every g/w time period. I'm not gonna use the really old or crappy models like the first edition marine dreadnaught - I got a couple of the newer(?) design ones which are awesome and all the clip together ones that I have from the 40k game and space crusade (I miss that game :'(). The chapter needs a name and a symbol, the colour scheme is sorted (You can see it in the pics of my chapter master below). I'll probably make and paint it in small 500pt blocks or something so I don't get bored at not seeing an end to the painting, which is my main problem.

Right, heres a bit of background for the chapter:

My chapter has a flaw with the Gene-Seed in that it rejects those with psychic ability. The chapter has struggled over the millennia to combat this 'weakness' as they saw it, away from the eyes of the Inquisition and all those folk, the chapter's apothocaries delved into genetic testing. Nothing came of this apart from a multitude of abhorrations that had to be destroyed, including the last chapter master who was recorded as 'killed in action' during a previous campaign with an Eldar craftworld. Years later, the chapter was sent on a crusade to cleanse a planet of an emerging tyranid hive.

During this conflict, the current chapter master noticed the pyschic abilities the tyranids possess, and ordered the capture of a Zoanthrope for examination. After a while, they managed to meld certain tyranid aspects with the chapter's Gene Seed, and a form of librarian was created (I have a model that needs the converting finished and painting). I am going to tool up my librarians as close combat nutters, and in friendly games they control a small unit of subdued hormagaunts (Who attack everyone when he dies) instead of psychic powers).

The chapter master has since continued this melding of genes, taking it further than creating a psyker and the army has a few 'Enchanments' here and there. He has took it as a matter of honour to submit his own body to the testing and is the most modified model in the army (Most aren,t converted at all, but some have tyranid weapons like boneswords etc). This chapter is completely loyal to the Emperor, in the same sense as the chapters who use demon weapons and chaos wargear, and the modifications are stricken from chapter records and treated as an utmost secret, and sacred.

Game wise, this model has a power weapon/Jump pack and plasma pistol - I use special rules in friendly games. The chapter holds their apothecaries as most important as they are seen to be bringing glory back to the chapter. They will use the Purity above All trait (A bit ironic i know ) and We Stand Alone because they do not trust others to view them in combat. I am also leaning towards fielding this army with Blood Angel rules, and making more models 'genetically enhanced' to use as Death Company. All modifications are voluntary, being seen as a blessing and an honour to the chapter plus they would be rather tasty in combat :P.

Does anyone have ideas for the chapter's name/symbol? Niether should have anything to do with tyranids because the chapter was round way before they started playing God. A nice easy symbol would be cool to because i aint the best painter and have shaky hands!
I know im going to hear screams of 'HERESY!!!' for my chapter idea, but it gives me a break from painting stock marines. Maybe Ive been playing chaos for too long... >

I've had this model sitting around for ages, so I decided to finally paint him. He's the beginning of my long task to update all my marines that are in various states of neglect. He is probably going to be the chapter master, but apart from his ahem, 'enhancements' hes a basic assault marine. He needs touching up, but the basic colour scheme is there. As i said earlier, i need a chapter badge for him, and i might make a bunch of purity seals for the guy too because he will probably have terminator honours. I might do a shed load of seals for the chapter to show their skewed loyalty to the Emperor... anyway i've rambled on too much so heres the crazy chappie:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...mmander_01.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...mmander_05.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...mmander_04.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...mmander_06.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...mmander_03.jpg
Old 01 Dec 2005, 22:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: In the Emperor's name! - New chapter idea

This is a strange idea, but I like it! Good job on the chapter master Ned!

At lunch today I was reading my Chapter Approved book and just happened to be thumbing past the rules for mutated and unforgiven chapters. It's quite clear from your thread that while your chapter is a loyalist chapter- it would be regarded as an outcast chapter, and therefore subject to their alliance conditions.

Tampering with a chapter's gene-seed is a grievous offense. This chapter would not be held in high regard by other Codex Chapters.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw your chapter master was the Red Ravens. I'm not sure you want to go with that- but it's what I thought.

Old 01 Dec 2005, 22:42   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I hate with a passion any idea that involves people controlling Tyranids. It is wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin...

Your fluff looked good, up until you mentioned the Tyranids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 02 Dec 2005, 00:57   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've never heard of the Red Ravens - are they a custom chapter?
I'm probably going to use this army as a Cursed Founding using the rules for Black Dragons. The problem i'm having with that army list is that the special troop types can't use jump packs, so have to use Rhino's to rush forwards which is a bit pants. I like the term Dizzy coined - they are like rolling coffins.

Also, to use the assault marines in 10 man units is nearing 300 points per unit, and I have 3 of em. It doesnt matter as I usually play really big games anyway, its just I do like to spend my points wisely. I tend to be tight when making army lists - skimping and saving, not buying sergeants etc. so it's gonna be a change for me :P.

I think im gonna max out all the slots for this army and leave it at that, and then maybe just add stuff when I can be bothered to paint it.

How about this army? Its going to be quite a task to convert and paint, but they need sorting out - They are a mess! Gives me nice little blocks of units to paint as well, so I shouldn't get too bored.

1 x Master Commander (HQ)
Plasma Pistol
Power Weapon
Jump Pack

10 x Cursed Knights (HQ)
1 x Champion
1 x Rhino
Smoke Launchers
Extra Armour

10 x Abominations (Elite)
1 x Rhino
Smoke Launchers
Extra Armour

5 x Terminators (Elite)
2 x Heavy Flamers

Dreadnaught (Elite)
Heavy Flamer
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers

6 x Tactical Marines (Troops)
1 x Missile Launcher

1 x Missile Launcher

1 x Missile Launcher

1 x Las Cannon

1 x Plasma Cannon

1 x Heavy Bolter

10 x Assault Marines (Fast Attack)
Sergeant
Plasma Pistols
Ossific Blades

Sergeant
Plasma Pistols
Ossific Blades

Sergeant
Plasma Pistols
Ossific Blades

Predator Annihilator (Heavy Support)
Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers

Landraider (Heavy Support)
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers

Vindicator (Heavy Support)
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers

I havent played marines in an age - What should I drop and what should I keep? It's going to be quite assaulty as you can see, so the tactical squads are just mobile fire bases - I know its boring but the rest of the army is wacky so I want to have something reliable.
Closed Thread