Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark Angels
Closed Thread
Old 27 Nov 2005, 17:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default Dark Angels

I was thinking of starting them, but never have read the codex. Before buying it and thinking more, what do you guys have to say about them? And no useless rambling I always see when I ask this; I want good, solid answers that'll help me.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 27 Nov 2005, 18:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Dark Angels

1. awesome fluff.

2. "stubborn" is a really great special rule, so is "intractable".

3. "stubborn" can be a liability in assault, and "intractable" really only helps for shooting, so they are by nature a shooty army.

4. Termies will cost more than normal, and they've lost the ability to mix lighting claws and heavy weapons. Blech. MAybe this will be fixed in the new dex.

5. Bikes cost extra, too, and they get "skilled rider" : or something for this mandatory points hike. Blech.

6. Plasma cannons on dreadnaughts? Not as effective as assault cannons in many cases. It's bite falls short of its bark, but it's worth it for the unfriendly attention that it grabs.

7. Application of stubborn/intractable (I'd go with stubborn!): 10 man tactical squads that can't be broken. It's expensive, but I've had a lot of success with putting plasma cannons and plasma guns into stubborn tactical squads. Autorallying is nice, but never running in the first place, and still pumping out plasma without blinking despite 70% casualties is godlike.

8. There are some nice goodies in the armory. DA actually has one or two banners that are worth a damn, almost like WFB banners. Sword of Secrets and Lion Helm are nice, too.

I've found my DA to be extremely good against all other power-armored armies. Only ones that give me a fight are space wolves. Their scouts give me fits, and the "hit on 3+" special rule, while it applies to both sides, clearly favors the assaultier pups. But everything from Iron Warriors to Blood Angels fall like wheat before the scythe. Non-3+ armies are more of a challenge, as the plasma goes to waste against 4+ and worse saves. But many of them are vulnerable to bolter fire, so it's not that bad. What my army lacks is mobility. In a big way. It's a SSMAFH, with no apologies made. If neither one of us reaches the objective, that's fine with me, as long as you're dead. I win by default.

I haven't played them against nids, as I imagine they'd be overwhelmed with numbers. They have beaten orks, IG, tau (although the tau players were horrible "bring lotsa cool-looking suits" armies, so that doesn't really mean much), eldar, and dark eldar (buried powerswords in fearless squads make being assaulted slightly less scary).

No sisters players in my area.

Bottom line, they're shooty marines, and if you trick them out with plasma, nothing in power armor has a chance. Regardless of the direction in which you take them, a veteran sergeant can make his squad fearless for 5 points, an option you should always exercise. This is one of the few ways to have an army where everyone is fearless, and you actually have more than 30 models on the board.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 27 Nov 2005, 20:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Thanks! Good stuff. Now, anyone else have a say? I know Bloodied Fangs has an opinion on them

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 28 Nov 2005, 10:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As has been stated, their Infantry Squads are really good due to their Special rules, as you can sit way back on the board and shoot.

It's fluffy to have Plasma

A Grand Master with Sword of Secrets is a pretty fun character to use.

Ravenwing and Deathwing sub armies are also a possibility once you have enough models.

Ravenwing get a Jink invulnerable save, it's not much but has saved a few of my Speeders and Attack Bikes when I considered them dead.

Give them a go, you won't be dissappointed.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 15:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've got a pal who plays DA.

I'll say this: they enjoy breaking morale. If we toss Asmodai into the mix, he will want to be on the front, claiming extra victory points wherever he goes. The wargear can be pretty good, and hey: RAVEN/DEATHWING

I took BTs and he took DAs. There's a lot we appreciate about the other's army.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 19:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I believe that DeathWing Termies should be customizable, much like Space Wolves' Wolf Guard or Chaos' Chosen Termies. They're afterall the Terminator army and shouldn't look that much monolithicly uniform.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 22:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_kodo
I believe that DeathWing Termies should be customizable, much like Space Wolves' Wolf Guard or Chaos' Chosen Termies. They're afterall the Terminator army and shouldn't look that much monolithicly uniform.
I read Fallen Angel and if thats any indication the differences in Deathwing Terminators is not so much trophies and the like but more heraldry. So if you like painting you can make the markings on each one subtly different, like shown here:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacema...terminators/1/

Old 30 Nov 2005, 23:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_kodo
but the thing is they're run by the a codex configuration, which dictates what kind of weapons they should have. the space wolves wolf guard are something totally different...they're bodyguards to the wolf lord, mentors to the pups and leaders to the pack. they're almost a mini-HQ...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Closed Thread