Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

terminators
Closed Thread
Old 27 Nov 2005, 15:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default terminators

i would like to hear some opinions on what you all think think some terminators have and dont have and how it effects how you play against them
Old 27 Nov 2005, 15:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: terminators

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...0903#msg120903

That is a link to the Terminator Tactics

It really depends on who has them, regular marines are restricted when it comes to taking power weapons.

Space Wolves Terminators can all have Storm Bolters and Power Weapons, then there are the heavy weapons.

Space Wolves can't just take terminators, they have to be taken as a body guard.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 27 Nov 2005, 18:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I play them on a regular basis with my dark angels. Their bark is worse than their bite. They attract as much fire as a hammerhead, nicely distracting the enemy while my tactical squads go about winning the game. A squad of 7-8 takes a long time to die, and often as not, they're still above half strength in the end. They usually don't kill much, but they do take objectives (my DA are fairly static) and keep the enemy on the defensive/reactive.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 27 Nov 2005, 19:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

For me terminators are just like any other opponent. Im going to take them seriously but I am not worried. Ive faced grey knight terminators and wolf guard a lot and some regular termies and never have I seen much I couldnt handle. My Shas'O just loves 2+ save stuff as with an ap 1 and an ap 2 gun he is rather proficient at killing them. And if I have nothing else to shoot at a single Railgun Solid slug can be a bad day for a poor termy. Finish things off with some massed small arms fire and the squad is gone. Ive whipped out 5 terminators in a single turn before, several times in fact. They really just draw fire unless used right.

In large engagements a single squad of assault or normal thrown into a Land Raider can be very nice. Particularly when your enemy doesnt realize it. So many people use the Land Raider as just a battle tank many opponents wont consider that something might actually be in it and you dont have to tell them. They get close with some melta guns only to have an assault squad jump out and rip them apart its a nice surprise tactic sometimes.

Used as a fire magnet they can be very good at simply walking forward and taking all the shots while the rest of your army runs around and gets everything done. I always have to find a good balance of how much fire I do throw at the terminators to kill them without detracting from my shooting at the rest of the enemy. They can be very indimidating and opponents make the mistake of throwing far too much fire at them, particularly small arms fire that would be better spent shooting at... other things.

Old 30 Nov 2005, 21:31   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

you write too much its supposed to be a little opinion not a final exam essay question in college
Old 30 Nov 2005, 21:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

This is one of the most moronic and ungrateful posts I've ever read - a fellow member attepts to give a well-versed and extensive answer to your question, and then you go and bash him for it... there is nothing in the forum rules about 'making posts too long for lazy people to read', and I think that Vash deserves your appology.

I havn't had much opportunity to play with or against the dreaded Tactical Dreadnaughts, but I tend to agree with March10k -they are much like the ankylosaurs of the Mesozoic Era - they have formidable weapons, but even more formidable armour, and like their dinosaur counterparts their best bet is in many cases to just sit down and look scary.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 22:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This one is for Vash, you did not waste you time, I did read your post and will take it into consideration. I do play terminators more often now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
In large engagements a single squad of assault or normal thrown into a Land Raider can be very nice. Particularly when your enemy doesnt realize it.
And I see your point, terminators are not there to do it all, they are there for drawing fire or destroying something. If I played you I would use them as a tasty treat to take out the Shas and any suits slowing down my progress. Of course, I would guess you would figure out my plan and use JSJ in which case I cycle of tactics and counter tactics would begin.

In other words once the terminators hit the table, Tactics on both sides change. How you use them can make or break the game?

WT

Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 30 Nov 2005, 22:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Tau
In other words once the terminators hit the table, Tactics on both sides change. How you use them can make or break the game?*

WT*
Precicely. I always love games where the tactics and counters on both sides are impossible to follow once its all finished. There are units in the game that really get attention and make opponents start countering each other from the very deployment. Hammerheads, Terminators, Avatars, Wraith Lords, etc, etc.

Im glad my post has helped some, an appology is not necessary, if it has proved useful it matters not whether the topic's poster or someone else is the one using it. Though I thank Dra-Tuisich'Novae and Wolf-Tau for being so appreciative.

Old 01 Dec 2005, 00:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamonhntr001
you write too much its supposed to be a little opinion not a final exam essay question in college
you've been smited for being a complete and utter prat. i could say more, but it might upset and, and for some reason i'm not allowed to do that

yes, it is meant to be an opinion, and that was how long it took vash to voice his. you asked a question, and vash answered it. in considerable detail. for YOUR benefit. now in future, have some respect for other members of the forum, in particular when they are trying to help you out. and especially when they have gone to such effort to put together a well-thought-out and constructive post

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 02 Dec 2005, 08:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Good points Vash, I agree with all but one. Any savvy opponent will look at your list before the game, and will be looking for the termies. And IIRC, if you hold them in reserve, you have to declare as much. Even if not, the first reserve roll you make (it's compulsory, you can't just choose not to and wait for turn 3 or 4) would give it away. So the chances of anyone other than a total noob not knowing that there are six sets of lightning claws, a thunderhammer, and a power sword all waiting to burst out of the LR are pretty slim.

But, yeah, the best use of termies that I've gotten (before 4th edition, haven't fielded them since, as I don't have two assault cannons painted, and haven't moved the cyclones over to models with stormbolters, got too much work to do on my tau to worry about that at this point) is squads of 7-8 stumping around in the open launching krak missiles and attracting fire, while the rest of the army does all the killing.

Wading in close with assault cannons could well be more effective now, but for the love of Christ, don't get into assaults with shooty termies. Any opponent will cheerfully remove 15 point models from the board while his buried powerfist/power weapon kills 1-2 termies per turn.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread