Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thinking of Black Templars
Closed Thread
Old 24 Nov 2005, 21:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Thinking of Black Templars

Alrighty then, with the new Black Templars being released, I'm thinking about either starting a Black templar army, or an army that use's their special rules, but with a differant color scheme and all that jazz. I'm thinking of an all infantry based army, with maybe a dread or two as support. I know that with the Templars excellant combat ability, I will be wasting them without a rhino, but I've only built two rhinos (for my Iron Warriors) and already I am sick of them ;D I was thinking something along the lines of this:

HQ
Emp Champ
Other commander (can't recall the name)

ELITES
Sword Brethren (is that right?)

TROOPS
Crusader Squads (most likely 4 of them, maybe more!)

FAST ATTACK
Assault squad (1, maybe two)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Havocs (no more then 2)

so what do you think? I know its hard to critique with out wargear and all, but I just wanted to know if my idea was feasible before I made the mistake i so often make and start the army only to get rid of it before its even palyable.

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 21:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn
Default Re: Thinking of Black Templars

Looks good, Black Templars are definitely a good choice. However, I'm not sure that they have access to Devastator Squads? (Space Marine versions of Havocs). Maybe a Land Raider Crusader would be good too.

Good Luck with the new army
Old 25 Nov 2005, 17:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ReApEr

i went against them yesterdy and got my ass handed to me 6 ways sideways, when you shoot them THEY MOVE!
when i went against him he said that they only have access to about half of the space marines main stuff like they dont have access to wilwinds, devistators and stuff.

But they are so good and its unbelevable how many shots they can take.

ReApEr
Old 25 Nov 2005, 17:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yeah i know they're nasty! Before they remade them, I played my friends Black templar army. I think it was sumting around 1500, 1250 sumthing around there. But any way he didnt even have the codex etc, and to tell you the truth, I think he was roughly 2-300 points higher then he said he was, but needless to say, I only killed two landspeeders with Sniper Scouts :P

I sometimes get mixed up between devistators and havocs, sorry. Im currently building an Iron Warriors Army that will have a havoc squad with 4 Autocannons with Tank Hunters
"Strive For Perfection
-Mushroomhead

Old 25 Nov 2005, 20:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

o yer and assult cannons get some of them they are so gutting to be on the reciving end.

ReApEr
Old 25 Nov 2005, 22:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ender
I am putting an Army List together myself.

BT have no normal troop Hvy Support or Whirlies for them, but you can use the 3 main tanks and the LR and LRC as heavy support. Plus as an added bonus, the troops can use a LRC as a troop transport, leaving you room for three , YES THREE Land Raiders. I play Tau, but I don't think I could handle 3 LR in a normal 2000 point game, unless I knew you were going to pull three of those out. Talk about cheese, it would be like using an eldar player using two WL's in a 750 game.

You CAN make a shooty BT army but I would go with Assault Army List first, I am.

You other HQ unit you have a choice, Marshall/Castellan or Chaplin.

I am deciding on a list myself, but I am not ready to post an army List yet. I am looking at everyone else's list and taking the best list and comping the reasons why some will and some won't work. I do have a brief outline so far and I may post that soon.

I plan to have certain things in my List. l plan to have two Predators in it and maybe one rhino. I also want to make one large assault unit with two more units flanking the main unit. Each Flanking unit would have Meltaguns in them.

I also don't plan to use SB yet, they seem to be too expensive a unit for now.

I want to play these very different to my Wolves, so I am still working on them, but I will be posting comments and making adjustments to my own list as I work on them.

WT*

I edited my comments because after reading them, I saw I made no sence nor did it look like I knew what I was doing, Sorry
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 26 Nov 2005, 00:13   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

If you need anti armor Tornados are the way to go since Black Cheatars dont have Devs. or a Plain Landraider(3 speeders are cheaper though I think.)
Old 28 Nov 2005, 15:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

What stuff can you have in a black templar army alltogether? my m8 is thinking of collecting them.

ReApEr
Old 28 Nov 2005, 18:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

hmm when i looked at the codex the other day, it was almost the exact copy of the SM codex, with differant names. take the Sword Brethren for example. They are the equivalent of a veteran squad when it comes down to it. I can't remember anything else really. I looked at a few entries and realised they were the same, just with differant models and names :P

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
-Mushroomhead

Old 28 Nov 2005, 21:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew "Ender" Wiggin
hmm when i looked at the codex the other day, it was almost the exact copy of the SM codex, with differant names. take the Sword Brethren for example. They are the equivalent of a veteran squad when it comes down to it. I can't remember anything else really. I looked at a few entries and realised they were the same, just with differant models and names :P

Ender
No they are very different in some regards. You just cannot look at the names and stat lines. The special rules are the real difference. The sword brethren get some very nice boons for what they are though I cannot remember the specifics. You have to take a closer look. A veteran at my local store was reading the codex a couple weeks ago, I will doubtless be facing him soon, Ill have to see how it goes. But they are not just a carbon copy of regular marines with new names and models.

Closed Thread