Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Flesh over Steel Advantages?
Closed Thread
Old 19 Nov 2005, 18:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Flesh over Steel Advantages?

ok, as some of you may know, I'm currently building an 6 dread army (wisdom of the ancients), and since I want a Techmarine (just for fluff reasons mostly), I took Scions of Mars as well, making my Techy an HQ.

But now I'm a Notable Divergence chapter.. and therefore must take a major drawback, the only 2 options open to me are Eye to Eye or Flesh over Steel. I'm taking Flaesh over Steel, since I wont have any tanks anyway.... but then I noticed something potentially very interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Marine Codex, Flesh over Steel Dirawbacks
Each transport option selected uses up a Fast Attack slot on the Force Organization Chart
does this mean I can sneak a LandRaider in as a fast attack choice??!!?? this is a very grey maybe for me at the moment because I still assume they meant 'dedicated' transport options, not any and all transport options.

Could I get some other peoples' interpretations on this??
Old 19 Nov 2005, 18:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Re: Flesh over Steel Advantages?

I believe it's ment to be dedicated transports but the wording is a bit vague IIRC. I need to look at the codex again but I think it's has both Raider variants as strict no-no's while the rhino isn't listed at all. As said, been a while since I looked so I will ahve to check to make sure.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 03:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Fast attack Land Raiders? That would be sweet . But, yeah, I think that only applies to Rhinos and Razorbacks.

In his own words, the real reason why Mace Windu's lightsaber is purple:
"Oh sure, they say not to get Mountain Dew on your lightsaber, but they never say what will happen if you do!"
Old 20 Nov 2005, 07:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

its not a transport until its been purchased by a unit AS a transport...otherwise, its just a battletank with transport capabilities

so if termies can get one, maybe you can

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 20 Nov 2005, 14:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I believe the codex is refering to dedicated transports (ie: those transports that normally DON'T take a spot on the Force Organization Chart). Mostly, this is only Rhinos and Razorbacks. The trick here, is that any -terminator- squad can take a Land Raider as a dedicated transport. So, you could actually get a Land Raider regardless of whether you had flesh over steel or not, you just have to make sure you have a squad of terminators that start the game inside it.

With Flesh over steel, the Land Raider that normally wouldn't take up any spots now also takes up a fast attack spot. Now to answer your question.

The -only- way with 6 Dreads (3 elite, 3 heavy supports) to be able to do this is to take a Terminator Command Squad. Get a Terminator Chaplain or Captain, give him a 4 Terminator Retinue. Then drop in the land raider (which then takes up the fast attack slot whereas normally it would take no spot). Points costly, but worth it for this army. Have fun =)
Tyranids - 3000 points - Finished
Sisters of Battle - 1000pts
Blood Angels - 2000pts - Finished
DemonHunters - 750pts
Old 21 Nov 2005, 19:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
I'm taking Flesh over Steel, since I wont have any tanks anyway
More evidence of the traits system being broken. I fail to see the "major drawback" here...

:'(

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 21 Nov 2005, 19:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Quote:
More evidence of the traits system being broken.* I fail to see the "major drawback" here...

I don't see that as the major problem. While your right, the major problem would be if you could just take a Land Raider as a fast attack. That would allow him to take 23 dreadnoughts and a land raider. Thats the problem, a drawback helping someone.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 22 Nov 2005, 05:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Quote:
More evidence of the traits system being broken.* I fail to see the "major drawback" here...

ummm...he's giving up tanks?? you know, all those beautiful predators, vindicators, whirligigs etc?? normally, he'd be disadvataging himself for no possible advantage. now he's actually getting some sort of compensation from it...sounds fair enough to me

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 22 Nov 2005, 06:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

no. he's advantaging himself with the other traits that he's taking. "...since I won't have any tanks anyway" is the important thing here. Where's the drawback in disqualifying himself from taking what he didn't plan to take anyway? That's like the American army in Iraq "handicapping" itself by agreeing not to use flamethrowers against the terrorists...we haven't used those in decades!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 22 Nov 2005, 09:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Where's the drawback in disqualifying himself from taking what he didn't plan to take anyway?
notice: he's creating a drawback by deliberately refraining from taking tanks...no tanks, see?? its a drawback...he's created one for himself. but now you're suggesting that because he's not taking tanks, he should find something ELSE that screws his organisation up as well?? why?? why should he not get a benefit from a drawback?? he's just lucky that he's found a trait that coincides with the way he wants to play...sounds to me like the way traits were meant to be used :

besides, essentially he's no different from someone who reads through the SM codex, sets out his traits and then start building up his army

Closed Thread