Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drop Pod 1850 List
Closed Thread
Old 19 Nov 2005, 01:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default Drop Pod 1850 List

Heres something not widely seen; a Drop pod army! I've been wanting to collect one, and I've finally got around to writing the list. Here it goes.

Dark Hunters
Total Points:1756
Traits: Heed the wisdom of the Ancients, Cleanse and Purify, Eye-to-eye, We Stand Alone

HQ:321
(Master of Sanctity) Chaplain:156
Crozius Arcanum
Plasma Pistol
Adamantine Mantle
Frags
Purity Seals

Command Squad:165
Attached to Chaplain
5 Marines

Sgt.:40
Power Weapon
Bolt Pistol
Terminator Honors

Champion:50

3 Marines w/ Bolt Pistols and CCWs
Drop Pod

Elites:390

Assault Terminators:230
5 Terminators
3 Pairs of Lightning Claws
2 Thunder Hammers
Drop Pod

Veteran Squad:160
5 Veterans
Sgt. Upg.:30
Power Fist
Bolt Pistol
Terminator Honors
3 Bolt Pistols and CCWs
Meltagun
Furious Assault
Drop Pod

Troops:590

Tactical Squad:165
6 Marines
Plasma Cannon
Plasma Gun
Drop Pod

Tactical Squad:165
6 Marines
Plasma Cannon
Plasma Gun
Drop Pod

Tactical Squad:130
6 Marines
Multi-Melta
Drop Pod

Tactical Squad:130
6 Marines
Multi-Melta
Drop Pod

Heavy Support:455

Dreadnought:155
Lascannon
DCCW w/ Storm Bolter
Drop Pod

Dreadnought:155
Lascannon
DCCW w/ Storm Bolter
Drop Pod

Dreadnought:145
Assault Cannon
DCCW w/ Heavy Flamer
Drop Pod

Ah...drop pods galore. Every unit in the army has one. Since it is very unfluffy and tactical to have a single tank or two behind, I went for Dreadnoughts to replace the Pred and other vehicles. While not as good maybe, they certanly are cool, and get the job done. I gave 2 lascannons to do some tank shooting and left the DCCW on since they are gonna be close up. The last dread is meant to charge guns a-blazing and piling into the enemy. To do the main close combat I put in an Assualt Terminator Squad, Veteran Squad, and Command Squad, all geared for CC. The Tactical Squads are for fire support; Plasma Cannons and Plasma Guns will fire at infantry and Elites, whilst the Multi-Meltas will fry any targets. Meanwhile, the CC squads will work on their infantry. And if it an objective game, the drop pods will land right on top of them, and will be divided appropriatly to hold the differant areas.

So, what do you think?

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 19 Nov 2005, 03:18   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to penguindw
Default Re: Drop Pod 1850 List

Well I like the idea but I really think you should rethink some of your squads.
You really should take full advantage of the Cleanse and purify trait, replace those heavy weapons in tactical squads with assault weapons. Remember you count as moving the turn you land so can't fire heavy weapons. I also feel that you should perhaps take full squads of tactical marines. You will be landing close to the enemy,quite often in rapid fire range, don't underestimate the power of lots of rapid firing bolters.
I'm not sure what you would cut but you still do have just under 100 points to spend.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 11:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Porbably cut the drad...working on it.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 19 Nov 2005, 21:43   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I agree with penguindw on pretty much everything he says.

Against most armies you'll want to land in relatively close and blaze away, before getting stuck into combat. Rapid firing bolters and plasma guns do this pretty well and you can use meltaguns against the tanks. Also, Multi-meltas are generally a bad idea. They are heavy weapons, so no moving and shooting, and they also have a pretty short range, especially if you want them to be most effective against tanks. You should really go meltaguns instead, two if possible.

And try and get all your squads up to full strength. Remember, after you land you are going to have to survive through the enemy's entire army shooting at you, and then any charges. Full unit strength means that you have a much higher chance of sticking around.

Eller

Webcomics that are t3h 0\/\/n4g3:
Megatokyo - Relax, we understand j00
Ctrl+Alt+Del - Tragically l33t
Nuclear Power - Home of 8-bit Mage
VG Cats

Nothing says "I hate you!" like a demolisher shell to the face.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 03:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Several points:

1. Leave Multi-meltas to the Dreads, they can move and shoot(meaning they can fire on the turn they land)!
2. Try using Trust Your Battle Brothers, this trait allows your marines to use their bolters in close combat(trust me, it helps).
3. Plasmaguns and Meltaguns are your friends, the banes of heavy infantry and tanks respectively.
4. Plasma Cannons probably wouldn't work out well, because they are a) expensive, b)Heavy class weapons, and c) can't be mounted on Dreads (anymore {stupid new codex!!}) .
5. Big squads are good, because unless you have the luck of the Gods themselves, you probably won't get all your troops down at once, and they may under go several turns of fire before the reinforcements arrive.

In his own words, the real reason why Mace Windu's lightsaber is purple:
"Oh sure, they say not to get Mountain Dew on your lightsaber, but they never say what will happen if you do!"
Closed Thread