Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Black Templars at 1000 Points
Closed Thread
Old 15 Nov 2005, 12:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Magnum_357
Default Black Templars at 1000 Points

Hey all, after a good long hiatus (and jumping from list to list like a squirrel monkey from a hungry predator) i've decided on a solid army from here, Black Templars. At 2000 points I crapped myself in delight, 1500 I was confused, now my most used list at 1000 points should do the trick. Please do your best to comment on it rather than you know, laughing at it* 8) Names are Crusader States and important battles in the 1st Crusade* (You know, the cool one!)

“Odessa”
1 Predator Annihilator 145

“Hereclea” (Command Squad)
7 Initiates w/ 2 Meltaguns, Infiltrate 153
Reclusiarch w/ Bolt Pistol, Infiltrate, 99

“Ascalon”
10 Initiates w/ Meltagun, Power Fist, 3 Neophytes 215
Emperor’s Champion w/ Accept Any Challenge, No Matter what the Odds 140

“Tripoli”
5 Initiates w/ Plasma Cannon 100

“Jericho”
5 Initiates w/ Jump Packs, Power Sword, Flamer, Plasma Pistol, Melta-bombs 141

Old 15 Nov 2005, 23:06   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Black Templars at 1000 Points

First and foremost you need a HQ, as the emperors champion can't be your compulsory choice. Change up your list a bit to fit him in and then I can help with some advice.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 03:03   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Okay, edited slightly for content. I was sure you could take the EMC as your choice (The GW sample list has only him), I felt I needed to focus on getting the units into their element asap (assault troops, infiltrate, large group w/ righteous zeal) a little support with the plasma squad for that little twinge of worry for those who deep strike their temrinators in the midst of all this, and a solid, no nonsense approach to anti-tank. Plasma, melta, and a Las Pred ready to blow anything sky high.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 18:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_357
Okay, edited slightly for content. I was sure you could take the EMC as your choice (The GW sample list has only him), I felt I needed to focus on getting the units into their element asap (assault troops, infiltrate, large group w/ righteous zeal) a little support with the plasma squad for that little twinge of worry for those who deep strike their temrinators in the midst of all this, and a solid, no nonsense approach to anti-tank. Plasma, melta, and a Las Pred ready to blow anything sky high.
This is true.* While the EC does not detract from the number of HQ spots you can use, he does count as a HQ unit. Oh, also please note he cannot jon any squads. Minor point, but you do have him listed with a squad, that's all.

That said, the list isn't bad.* I'm also a Tau player, so it seems a little un-mechanized (then again, Marines can take a lot more than FWs,) but solid choices.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 21:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I am also a Tau Player/Wolf player. I am putting a stop to my DH army and getting some BT. I have been reviewing the vows and lists. Let me ask you this, will this be an all comes? or an anti-mostly +3 sv army list.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 16 Nov 2005, 22:22   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I personally like this list alot. It seems to have all the bases covered. With that said I do have some suggestions..First of all @ Feeple the emperors champion can join squads just not command squads. I personally do not find accept any challenge worth it in point values, and if you changed that to a less expensive vow you could fit a sarge or company champion in your infiltrating command squad for an extra power fist/weapon. The list looks nice though.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 00:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I do like the list but after studying the dex, I might recommend some changes. The changes would be based on my experience of playing Space Wolves and playing my Tau.

Quote:
“Odessa”
1 Predator Annihilator 145

I would add extra armor and smoke, at the very minimun extra armor
My other comment is if you are only going to use one tank, it going to have a massive target on it. I would try all troops first, because every heavy weapon the opposing army has will target this tank. So, you will not have it for long. Besides you have quite a few Meltaguns, you should not have too much trouble with tanks.

“Hereclea” (Command Squad)
7 Initiates w/ 2 Meltaguns, Infiltrate 153
Reclusiarch w/ Bolt Pistol, Infiltrate,* 99

This is a great unit, I will be coping it, but I will be changing one guy to a Fighting Champion, for the points it should be good, especially since you have Preferred Enemy you are going to want more weapon attacks.

“Ascalon”
10 Initiates w/ Meltagun, Power Fist, 3 Neophytes 215
Emperor’s Champion w/ Accept Any Challenge, No Matter what the Odds 140

I would add one more Npht. Make sure the Nphts are out in front so they are the only ones in range and get shot first. I was thinking of painting mine with redshirts on them but thought better of it.

“Tripoli”
5 Initiates w/ Plasma Cannon 100

I would change to Mult-Melta, for better tank killing power, cheaper also. I would definitely get this if you drop the tank.

“Jericho”
5 Initiates w/ Jump Packs, Power Sword, Flamer, Plasma Pistol, Melta-bombs 141

I would make this unit larger, 5 marines don't last long, especially against Tau. I might recommend a dread, instead. That way it could lead your larger unit.
Those are just a few comments, I will restate that I am new to BT but not a new player. You could alway go with Up Hold the . . . . it would be cheaper but Accept Any . . . is the best one.

WT

My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 25 Dec 2005, 02:54   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Black Templars at 1000 Points (edited)

Coming back to this army after drooling over so many new Tau things, it occurs to me changes need to be made, so here we go!

Black Templar @ 1000 Points

7 Initiates & 2 Neophytes w/ Power Weapon, Meltagun
Rhino
Emperor’s Champion w/ Uphold the Honor of the Emperor

5 Initiates w/ Lascannon, Plasma Rifle

Predator Annihilator w/ Lascannons

6 Assault Initiates w/ Plasma Pistol, Flamer, Power Fist, Melta-bombs
Castellan w/ Jump Pack, Term Honors, Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Frag Grenades, Meltabombs

7 Sword Brethren w/ Power Fist, Meltagun, Infiltrate

Merry Christmas, Kwanza, Emperor's Day, Festivus, and everything else we celebrate.

Old 25 Dec 2005, 07:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Black Templar @ 1000 Points

7 Initiates w/ Power Weapon, Meltagun
Rhino
Emperor’s Champion w/ Uphold the Honor of the Emperor
With only one other vehicle in the line up, this rhino is going to get popped quickly, for more lasting power, you can change out the points for the rhino for 5 neos. A 13 man unit running up the middle would help out the SB. They would be target number one, not the SB. Personally, I like to have two powerful units, because then the enemy has split their fire or decide which unit is more dangerous.

5 Initiates w/ Plasma Cannon
Why a Plasma Cannon here? If you are worried about armor make it a Las/Plasmagun unit

Predator Annihilator w/ Lascannons
Nice

7 Assault Initiates w/ Plasma Pistol, Flamer, Power Fist, Melta-bombs
Castellan w/ Jump Pack, Term Honors, Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Frag Grenades, Meltabombs
This is an expensive unit, I would drop the Meltabombs on the Assault guys.

7 Sword Brethren w/ Lascannon, Plasma Rifle
I would take away the Lascannon from this unit, this unit is a CC unit, which should be have Furious Charge or Infiltrate with any extra points left over after paying for the Furious or Infiltrate, add one more SB for more staying power.
Of course these are my views based on points. You do see some tanks and a lot of anti armor at 1000 points. Good luck.

WT
Old 27 Dec 2005, 01:34   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Phinjoe Send a message via MSN to Phinjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeple
This is true.* While the EC does not detract from the number of HQ spots you can use, he does count as a HQ unit.* Oh, also please note he cannot jon any squads.* Minor point, but you do have him listed with a squad, that's all.
Emperors champs can join squads, he jsut cant have a command squad. If you doubt me look at the rule for independent character killing. Why would it mention the champs brethren moving if he couldnt join a squad?