Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Plasma Cannon + Signum
Old 11 Nov 2005, 13:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Plasma Cannon + Signum

I just now put this 2+2 together, now tell me if I got it right:

Techmarine, with a Plasma Cannon gun Servitor.... Tech has Signum... meaning any 1 shooting miss in his squad may reroll......

...... does this 'missed to hit roll' count for 'gets hot' rolls of 1, as well??!!?? Or does the Servitor go poof irregardless??

I'm currently exploring all things Techmarine-ey, for a certain army list.. and if the signum removes the hazards of Gets Hot! mishaps.. well..... >
Old 11 Nov 2005, 14:27   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Plasma Cannon + Signum

Yes, if you re-roll a 1, then it doesn't apply... unless you roll another 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 07:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would have thought it works like master-crafting...mastercrafted plasma pistols still force armor saves on a 1, IIRC, only a 2 (and 3, in the case of IG) gets rerolled.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 09:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

well twinlinked plasma pistols(like snake) can re-roll ones, which means they only have half as much chances of over heating, even though if you fire two plasma pistols at once you should have twice the chances of splattering.

Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 17:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Sounds like exploiting little things to me... :-\

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
SMRCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 18:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
I would have thought it works like master-crafting...mastercrafted plasma pistols still force armor saves on a 1, IIRC, only a 2 (and 3, in the case of IG) gets rerolled.
If you reroll, the first result is ignored, so I don't see where you'd get the idea that you still have take the armor save if you re-roll a one and get something else.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Doctor Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2005, 11:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I was under the impression that 1s don't get the reroll, being preempted by the "gets hot" result.

As for twinlinked plasma pistols...special rules for special characters. Personally, I'd suggest that if you get a 1 and a hit with twinlinked plasma, you get a hit and a "gets hot" check...if you get snake eyes, you get two "gets hot" checks.

Trust me, my DA stubborn sergeants would love to mastercraft their plasma pistols just for the ability to reroll 1s and avoid "gets hot". I just don't see the rules that way. If anything, you'd get to reroll the miss, but have to take the armor save anyway. But if it gets hot in the first place, it'll probably mess up your aim, eh?

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2005, 12:33   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Of course 1s get a re-roll! A Master Crafted weapon is a beautifully artificered weapon, and so is much less likely to overheat.

In the case of the Signum, you can assume the user is monitoring carefully the energy outputs of the Plasma weapon, and thus warns the gunner (or knows himself) when the weapon is reaching overheat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2005, 14:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd agree with wargamer here on the issueof master crafted weapons and signums (how my salamanders used to love their safe plasmaguns) however I could see it working more like the miscasts in WFB or BS rapid firing plamsa - if you reroll the one, you may hit something which you didn't before but still get weapon still gets hot.
Tastyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2005, 09:10   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Of course 1s get a re-roll! A Master Crafted weapon is a beautifully artificered weapon, and so is much less likely to overheat.

In the case of the Signum, you can assume the user is monitoring carefully the energy outputs of the Plasma weapon, and thus warns the gunner (or knows himself) when the weapon is reaching overheat.
He's right, all missed 'to hit' rolls can use the signum to re-roll, the first roll is then ignored, therefore unless you roll another 1 you won't have to take an armour save for 'gets hot'
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Scout Sergeant Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote