Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pred or Devistator
Closed Thread
Old 09 Nov 2005, 19:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Pred or Devistator

What's better, a preditor annilator decked out with lascannons or a dev team with 4 lascannons?

The tank has the ability to move and shoot, but the troops each have a 3+ save and generaly last longer given the anit-tank biased rules of 40k.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 00:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Pred or Devistator

Honestly I think it's just preferance... I've had Dev squads chewed apart before they could do much by assault marines and I've seen Land Raiders downed with a single Krak. Both draw about the same amount of fire, the only real differance is that the Pred absorbs small arms fire while the Dev's can sacrifice Bolters to protect themselves from heavy weapons.

I doubt that was much help but in my humble opinion it's the truth.
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 10 Nov 2005, 07:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

I also think that this has already been done and not all that long ago either.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 12:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

It is all about preferances. Ok the predator is a bit cheaper both in point cost and price, but one lucky plasmashot and it's all over.
To take out a full marine squad is always a nut to crack. Especially a devastator squad which is almost always supported by tac troops. Personally I never rely on armor, exept for land raiders. Hard to take out, and good for worrying your opponent.
But it is all up to you.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 18:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well, a 10 man dev squad with lascannons costs a few points less than two las-preds, and a few points more if you embed a powerfist into the squad. So for about the same cost, you can get 6 meatshields for 4 lascannons, or you can get 6 lascannons, two of which are twinned, behind AV13...it's a close call, but I'll take the pair of tanks, reasoning that the fire required to kill the tanks will evaporate the marines, as well, so why not take 50% more cannons at slightly higher accuracy for the same cost?

That's my personal preference.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 11 Nov 2005, 03:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Here's my two cents:

Predator Annihilators are good, very good. But, since they are good (and extremely deadly to the enemies tanks) ALL of your opponents weapons will be aimed at this tank. If your lucky, not a single shot will take this baby out, and if your extremely unlucky, one shot on turn 1 will put the nails on the coffin.

Now Devestators have a little bit more survivability, since the enemies antitank weapons will NOT be aiming at the Devs (busying themselves with your other tanks). What will target this squad will usually be Fast Attack units with jump packs (or equivilent), since they will be able to fly over terrain to get to the Devs ASAP.

With this info, it comes down to personal choice. Devestators have somewhat more survivability than tanks since they have more time before the removal of the Lascannons, while Preds are impervious to small arms fire making them much less vulnerable. I'd go for the Preds since they look so much cooler and have a Twin-Linked Lascannon to boot in case of the highly unlikely situation that the others will miss. One advantage, though, that the Devs have is that they are much cheaper money wise as compared to the two Preds, in case it matters.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Old 11 Nov 2005, 05:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I accauly already have a pred, back from when I played space wolves.

But today when I was down in vic I stoped at the local GW and placeda a order for 4 of the SM spures that that have hte missle launchers.

Old 11 Nov 2005, 08:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Last night i played 2 games with my Plasma dev squad... they sealed victory for me. Only 1 died to overheating... which is rare ill grant you... but i killed an entire SM squad in one volley of fire with them. Cant complain about that! Not to mention their nastiness against almost everything else. THey were backed up by two missle/assault cannon dreads too. Rocked the Casbah last night!!

cheers

p
Old 11 Nov 2005, 12:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

....which has what, exactly to do with the debate between putting your lascannons on a tank and putting them on infantry?

[size=40pt]thread hijack in progress[/size]

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 12 Nov 2005, 17:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
I also think that this has already been done and not all that long ago either.
Yes, but it was on horde armies, not on Lascannons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgue
Honestly I think it's just preferance... I've had Dev squads chewed apart before they could do much by assault marines and I've seen Land Raiders downed with a single Krak. Both draw about the same amount of fire, the only real differance is that the Pred absorbs small arms fire while the Dev's can sacrifice Bolters to protect themselves from heavy weapons.

I doubt that was much help but in my humble opinion it's the truth.
Definitly. I don't think in this case it's better, but what you like. Both have an eqaul amount of good and bads, and both do there jobs good. I prefer Devastators, but I wouldn't say they are way better.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Closed Thread