Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dread Army
Closed Thread
Old 06 Nov 2005, 19:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Dread Army

well, I'm now in Virginia, and am now completely Armyless! So, Ive decided to go through and slowly build an all dreadnaught themed army Haven't worked out the fluff yet, but its gonna be something like a ForgeWorld Chapter of Marines... all the manufactured goodies!!

the core therefore would be 6 Dreadnaughts, 3 of them having to be venerable. the rest would be support for these guys.... I'm still up in the air about what exactly is the best support for them, so for right now I'll take care of the troop requirements, and start off slowly.

so far Ive bought a 5 man Tac Squad, a Razorback, and a Dreadnaught... the 5 man squad and razorback are going to be one of my troop choices... and their intended role will be to engage embedded lascannons/missile launchers in large meatshield groups.. a bane of my Dreads. The Dread is just Dread #1. 1 of many. ;D

I was also going to get the techmarine with full servo harness as HQ, but he was out of stock... maybe next paycheck. Next week Ill probably get another Dread, Techmarine, and the rest of my troop requirements.

I'm going go magnetize everything, and keep things swappable until I get an established setup. for right now is a vanilla AC/DCCW/Flamer Dread, and a Heavy Bolter Razorback, and Hvy bolter in tac squad. The Venerables are going to have the Lascannons, so maybe the Razorback can focus more on anti-infantry in support of the Dreads.... for now. I'm going to economize as well, leaving the Razorback easily reconfigureable as a Rhino if necessary.

That's what I've got for now, I'll post updates as I get more goodies, maybe post paint/in progress pix (if anyone cares), and leave this open for suggestions/comments.

I'll

Old 06 Nov 2005, 20:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Dread Army

Your army idea is interesting. I have played against a six dread army but with a librarian instead of the techie and he had sniper scouts. The list can be strong, just make the venerable the ones that will be taking more enemy fire. Re rolling on the damage tables is not to be underestimated as it can keep some dreads alive forever, much to the chagrin of your advisary.
Drop pods are something to consider as well. Use them for some of your guys but not all. Most important is have fun, some people will cry about the 6 D's, but they are not unbalanced so if you like them take them. Make sure you paint them well, and keep the weapons modular.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 07:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

nice concept...too bad it leaves no room for devastators...I've found the best way to destroy the "hidden lascannon of dreadnaught destruction" (space marine version, bolter fire works well against guard) to be a set of four plasma cannons. Frightfully expensive, but it can nuke an entire tactical squad in a single turn...min/max with lascannon doesn't have a prayer!

Perhaps infiltrating scouts for your other troops choice? They could be used to tie up a threat to the dreads in hand to hand, long enough for the AC/DCCW dreads to get on the scene and stomp them into the ground.

The techmarine is a great idea, but isn't he an elites choice? That would knock you down to 5 dreads, wouldn't it?

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 07 Nov 2005, 21:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i plan on taking heed the wisdom of the ancients, and scion of mars.. making the techmarine an hq choice, and Dreads elite choices. (edit: er... heavy choice)

If you could explain to me how scouts would help the dreads survive, I'll be all for them, and will buy them instead next week. currently my answer to embedded lascannons is a heavy bolter in tac squad, with hvy bolters on razorback.. oh, and the 4 assault cannons on half of the dreads as they approach.

tactically, what im going to try to aim for is building an army thats only vulnerable to a small portion of the enemy's force, and totally immune to the rest! then, as i compensate for that weak area with supporting troops, the dreads can wade around with impunity to wrap up a game.... in theory. as i stand ive no real way to DO this planned out.....

but youm get the idea: smash the devestator squads and land raiders first... then laugh at the bolter troops out there!*
Old 07 Nov 2005, 21:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, fluffwise, a Dreadnought is just an improved version of a Terminator, so include some of those.

Scouts are good in other armies, but for this type, just go for firepower and bone-crushing might.

Great idea for an army!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 07 Nov 2005, 23:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If I had the money I'd love to field an army like this one... unfortunately I don't :P

As for the usefullness of Scouts I think it's actually debateable. I could see them employed with Sniper Rifles for playing wack-a-mole with heavy weapon squads but then again a Tac squad with a heavy bolter would be decent for filling that role and it'd have a higher survivability. Please understand, however, I have no experience with Scouts besides being on the receiving end of there fire thus far.
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 08 Nov 2005, 06:25   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Robby

woah, wicked, I never knew you were aloud so many dreadnaughts in your army. Is there a limit to how many of them your aloud in or are you aloud as much as you want?
Old 08 Nov 2005, 08:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You just have to be careful who you play.

At armor 12, dreds are nothing but free points for tau missilepods and railguns.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 08:14   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby
woah, wicked, I never knew you were aloud so many dreadnaughts in your army. Is there a limit to how many of them your aloud in or are you aloud as much as you want?
Just like any other army using the standard force organization chart, you can only use 3. There's a trait called 'Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients' that lets you take more.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 09:04   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Robby

oh ok so normally your only aloud 3 dreadnaughts in an army max but with this Trait you can have an extra 3 more having your max at 6? ???