Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

first run with SM in Carnage game
Closed Thread
Old 28 Oct 2005, 11:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default first run with SM in Carnage game

Last night was my first run at playing SM in our weekly Carnage game. My two opponants were dark eldar and deamon hunters.

My list:

Captain w/CCW + BPistol
2x9 tac squads w/bolters, 1 flamer, SGT w/CCW+pistol
1 dev squad w/3 bolters 3 Missle launchers
1 assault squad w/4 CCW+pistol 1 SGT w/powerfist + pistol
1 vindicator tank

Deamon hunter list as I recall:
1 gray knight squad of 6 w/psy cannon and stormbolters/powerweapons
1 gray knight squad of 6 terminators armed as above
1 dreadnaught
1 chimera multilaser, heavy flamer + w/12 stormtroopers hellguns and flamers

Dark eldar list:
1 badass HQ dude
2 splinter cannon dudes
1 wraythlord w/starcannon
55 assorted dark eldar meatsheild dudes

I've been winning fairly easily about 50% of these games with Tau since they bring massive shots to the table, thus everyone tooled for Tau this game. So I brought SM.

It is so totally different playing SM...they are slow...that I didn't make it to the objective until turn 5. Foot slogging seemed scary over open ground at first, but for the first time I was the one making 3+ saves. What a joy that was. None died from shooting in the first 3 turns. Then I overjumped with my assaulters and they were vaporized by the wraithlord. I was Tau cautious most of the game, but eventually came to regard shooting as a bother.

The eldar made it into the objective first, but between my vindicator's shooting and the charge of the homer led Gray knight terminators, the eldar were soon down to less than 20 men total. They were expelled by the charge of the deamon hunters on turn 4.

Next I rolled up, now ignoring the remnant eldar and shot into the objective with the vindicator and rapid fire SM killing many stormtroopers. This is were my Tau-ness shown, for I should have not shot the SM but charged into the stormtroopers instead. As it is, this lapse cost me the game. By standing there shooting, I game the enemy terminators the opportunity to charge me and kill the tac squad to a man. I lost in turn 6 by a single figure.

It was an excellent learning game.

Lessons learned:

1. Assault SM stay behind cover until they can jump onto an enemy.
2. Krak missiles kill SM dead, so forget frags.
3. demolisher cannon is a fun thing.
4. Enemy shooty dreadnaughts can't kill or be killed by SM in CC.
5. I need power weapons to fight deamon hunters, so SGT get them next time.
6. Remember to get captain on table at start of game.
7. Wraithlords suck!
8. No SM rapid fire when charging is option.

Wanax
Old 28 Oct 2005, 14:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: first run with SM in Carnage game

Yes, though Tau rapid firing is deffinetly an option its a tough decision for SM sometimes. As Tau I never, ever give the opportunity for Grey Knights to charge but as SM I suppose charging would be a good thing.

Assault troops simply MUST stay behind cover. As Tau I ignore them while they are behind cover, knowing that they will have to be out in the open for at least 1 turn. Its not too hard to kill 5 assault marines in a single turn of shooting. Most players rush them out the instant the cover is gone, what I would suggest is holding them back until the enemy gets close enough for you to reach them without being out of cover for a turn. If your fighting over an objective you can be pretty sure that they will be coming to you.

Nice try and if you learn from your mistakes than it is even better than winning and learning nothing.

Old 28 Oct 2005, 14:31   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

nice match but there is only one problem withthe demon hunters list. he cant have 12 stormtroopers as one squad only as two of six and the dark eldar player took a wraithlord. are there diffrent rules in a carnage game? cause i find that very confusing with the rulese being broken.

it was a close match. nice try though
"Rise from the ground and Grab your weapons! We fight to death against these beasts! We are the Iron Reapers and As long as we stand they will fall." Captain Tyrael rallying the 2nd company after Chaos Ordance barrage at the Battle of Timat
Armies
Tau Combat Patrol 400pts
Old 28 Oct 2005, 14:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Suradas
nice match but there is only one problem withthe demon hunters list. he cant have 12 stormtroopers as one squad only as two of six and the dark eldar player took a wraithlord. are there diffrent rules in a carnage game? cause i find that very confusing with the rulese being broken.

it was a close match. nice try though
I'm guessing on number of stormtroopers. More than 10, maybe 10. All one unit for sure. The DE wraithlord was a Harlequinn Ally...stupid 4+ cover save always...

Wanax
Closed Thread