Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Footslogging Flamers
Closed Thread
Old 28 Oct 2005, 02:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Footslogging Flamers

A recent reply in another post left me really thinking this subject over (thanks SMR :P )

Just a quick question reguarding the possibility of swapping my weapon configs around. Right now I outfit my Tac squads with flamers and leave the non-assault weapons with a Dev team as a rule of thumb, simply because I'm a firm believer in mobility equals survivability. Not to mention shoot and scoot tactics are working wonders for me. However I know my luck is gonna turn the instant I get stuck on a board with little to no terrain. With that in mind what weapons should I be looking to as replacements for the flamers? I want to be able to soften up my assault targets a bit before actually engaging them but the idea of being chewed alive while I march across 18+ inches of no mans land doesnt thrill me.

Keep in mind, for the time being I'm stuck with 600pt and below matches. Along with that for the time being I have no vehicle support at all with no hope of adding any until after Christmas (children make Morgue a poor poor man). So in closing what squad level weapons should I be looking to as replacements for the flamers in reguards to killing power (if need be I can outfit my Dev team with more heavy weapons or swap them around entirely)?

As always thanks in advance gents.
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 28 Oct 2005, 04:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Footslogging Flamers

well, plasma isn't a popular choice for nothing...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 28 Oct 2005, 06:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Pulse carbine ;D

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 28 Oct 2005, 17:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Pulse carbine* ;D
Hmmm I've stomped several Tau armies over the past month... I'm sure I have a few laying around... now if only I could talk that stubborn inquisitor into letting my company field xeno weapons...

Anyways from the responces I gather I'm basicly out of luck until I can drop a few rhino's into the mix. Thanks anyways all
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 28 Oct 2005, 19:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

A rhino is a good choice, but melta guns can be useful, although I only take 2. They can't be singled out w/out a sniper, and up close, they are horrendously effective, especially if you've got any multi-wound models lurking around on the assault spectrum. Plasma is always a good solid choice, however, and is often worth the points...

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 18 Nov 2005, 16:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Drop Pods. You need drop pods. Can go almost any where, and pretty cheap. On a map with no cover just drop a lot of your force right behind the enemy, and flame their infantry, melta there tanks and assault cannon their HQ's.

[move] O0[/move]

In his own words, the real reason why Mace Windu's lightsaber is purple:
"Oh sure, they say not to get Mountain Dew on your lightsaber, but they never say what will happen if you do!"
Old 18 Nov 2005, 23:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

For space marine tac squads plasma guns are really great. They match the range and rapid fire characteristics of a bolter if you want to stand and shoot. They have a great strength and good AP. Most heavily armoured units do not want to get too close to plasma weapons. If you have a few squads with them you can vapourize a Carnifex without too much diffictulty. (Trust me, Ive seen it done many times.)
Old 19 Nov 2005, 07:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hehehe...or you could be like me. 3 ten-man tactical squads with a total of 8 plasma weapons between them, and stubborn to boot. You can shoot down 8/10 of the squad...but you're still going to eat a plasma template next turn...and a pistol, too, if you're in range.

Quote:
Old 19 Nov 2005, 11:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Hehehe...or you could be like me.* 3 ten-man tactical squads with a total of 8 plasma weapons between them, and stubborn to boot.* You can shoot down 8/10 of the squad...but you're still going to eat a plasma template next turn...and a pistol, too, if you're in range.
Unless cheating, thats impossible. Even with Cleanse and purify.
2 for each squad would be max, so total of 6...unless you st. has a plasma pistol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgue
A recent reply in another post left me really thinking this subject over (thanks SMR :P )
Welcome. What was it?

Anyways, some advice. Definitly plasma like these guys have been saying. Good range, powerful weapon, and more mobile than heavy weapons. And rapid fire... >
Meltaguns have smaller range (but the same if moving) than a plasma gun. but otherwise have stronger S and AP. If your looking for something to kill infantry or elites with, take the plasma gun. If this squad will hunt powerful creatures (like the carnifex and up) or tanks, then meltagun. But I prefer Plasma Guns.

And try to get a rhino. They'll solve the problem of mobility. Except when aimed at by a missile launcer.... :-\
Hope this helps.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 19 Nov 2005, 15:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yep...3 plasma cannons, 2 plasma guns, one melta, and three plasma pistols. Stubborn sergeants with powerfists (2) and powerswords (1)...pricey, but you can't make them go away!

Quote:
Closed Thread