Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

500 pt army
Closed Thread
Old 27 Oct 2005, 16:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG
Default 500 pt army

am planning on building 500 point armies for all the races of 40K, so I was wondering what units to include in my SM one.

thanx

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 18:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: 500 pt army

Personally I prefer to field troops in matches this small simply because it gives me more mobility and offers up more threats to my opponent. Not to mention I can't afford any venhicles at this moment :P So here's what I use and what I think I would like to use...

HQ: Reclusiarch (Chaplain) w. Term Honours and a P Pistol

Troops: 7 man Tac Squad w Flamer
7 man Tac Squad w Flamer Sgt w P Fist, T Honours, Bolt Pistol

Heavy: 6 man Dev Squad w 2 Missile Launchers

I've been asked a few times why I stick with the launchers, the primary reason is that I prefer a flexible force rather than a min/maxed force. The launchers allow me to attack armor with a 50/50 chance of success without losing my infantry pop'ing abilities. Reason for the flamers and Chaplain, simple I like to assault my opponent and funny enough the dev squad usually provides just enough cover fire for that to be very feasible. (497pts)

Once I can afford to I plan on picking up a Pred Destructor and yanking the Dev Squad. That way I can either tool up another Sgt or drop a few more marines into those squads. Only thing I've seen that can be a problem with having a vehicle in a match this small is that players tend to rely on them too much. (505 pts)

Anywho hope I was able to help a bit.
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 27 Oct 2005, 19:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I play SM at 750pt only, but I rely on nothing fancy like a librarian:

Captain pistol CCW
Devistator Sqd 6 men 3 ML 3 bolter
Vindicator tank demo storm blt smoke
Assult squad 5 man CC & p p fist
Tac 1 9 man 7 bolter 1 flamer CC & p
Tac 2 9 man 7 bolter 1 flamer CC & p
Total: 747

drop the tank and 1 or 2 SM and you have 500pts.
wanax
Old 27 Oct 2005, 19:55   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ya I like the first one (love the basic marines) but replace the devastator squad with an HQ..I like chplains.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 00:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by XV 15 Tahran
Ya I like the first one (love the basic marines) but replace the devastator squad with an HQ..I like chplains.
But very un-tactical. Yea, the 1st list seems good; got the firepower for the 1 tank that pops up every bit (I'd say at most 2 in a 500 pt game, but that is very ulikely and power-gamey.) Also it as good infantry popping. Just take out the expensive sgt. in squad 2 and add a rhino instead to have some mobility;flamers dont work the best in foot-slogging squads, but will work. Atleast 1 needs a rhino.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 28 Oct 2005, 01:49   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

But don't you need 2 troops and an HQ?
Old 28 Oct 2005, 02:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XV 15 Tahran
But don't you need* 2 troops and an HQ?
I think SMR was talking about a player fielding two tanks in a 500pt match. But to answer your question, yes, you have to have 2 troops in a 500 pt match unless you're playing combat patrol missions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR
Just take out the expensive sgt. in squad 2 and add a rhino instead to have some mobility;flamers dont work the best in foot-slogging squads, but will work.* Atleast 1 needs a rhino.
He'd have to shave off allot of points to fit a rhino, meaning knee cap the Sgt, lose the flamers, and even then he'd still be over by a bit.
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 28 Oct 2005, 07:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, go small on the HQ, even 100 points is a lot to spend out of 500. Your basic chaplain would be a good choice, attached to one of the squads. Maybe take the trait that allows infiltration? That way, you can get the chappie an his squad a bit closer. Wouldn't recommend doubling up on the flamers, though. Paying for a missile launcher and getting a flamer would be insane at 500 points.

HQ: Reclusiarch (Chaplain) w. Term Honours

Troops: 8 man Tac Squad w Flamer
8 man Tac Squad w Flamer Sgt w P sword, T Honours, Bolt Pistol

Heavy: 5 man Dev Squad w 2 Missile Launchers

Dropping the plasma pistol and changing the powerfist to a power sword gives you the points for another marine. Moving one from the dev squad bumps both other squads to 8. Attaching the reclusiarch to the cheaper tac squad gives you a nasty character in each squad. Now you have two moving squads that can pump out a reasonable ammount of fire and will tear it up in assault. The dev squad with two missiles is about right for 500 points, but I don't think they need 4 meat shields for 2 weapons. By the time the enemy gets done killing them, they will have eliminated any enemy vehicles, and the fire that they draw gives your tactical squads time to get close enough to charge. It's a good setup!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread