Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 marine list, suggestions if you have them.
Closed Thread
Old 25 Oct 2005, 04:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default 1500 marine list, suggestions if you have them.

Chaplain. jet pack
Dread ac dccw sb
Dread Lc ML
5 terminators 2 AC
5 terminators 2 ML
6 marines 2 plaz gun
6 marines 2 plaz gun
6 marines 2 melt gun
6 marines 2 melt gun
7 assault marines, vet pw bp, 2 flamers
Traits: flesh over steel, Die standing, Cleanse and Purify, wisdom of the ancients.
Tactics: Move and shoot. Pair up dreads or termies with tac squads: chaplain and assault squad go after small elite squads or infantry in hard cover. Why the change? Devistator squads keep to many marines away from the fighting for my, in your face, style of play.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 05:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 1500 marine list, suggestions if you have them.

Wow....while not as in your face as it could be.... IMHO (which should be taken lightly...being personal preferance and all) its a little too.....shall i dare say it? yeah im gunna have to. its a little to power gamey for my liking. Your Tactical Squads are a little small to my tastes with max fire power (AKA Min-Maxing. heavily frowned upon by the majority of gamers) and the combo of 2 dreadnoughts and 10 terminators is definatly a little much. I would go with 1 terminator squad and another Assault squad, and maybe a predator, but never 2 dreads and 10 terminators. I must admit, however, that this would be an exellant tourny list where competitiveness is alot higher, it still has its weaknessess such as the relatively small units. Over all, a decent list, but not sumthing I could ever play myself. Another weakness I just noticed is its lack of speed really.... the Terminators can DS, and you have you assault squad, but any experienced gamer can take advantage of that and deal with your dreads quite easily (two lascannons is all it takes) and then deal with your terminators and assault squad before the rest of your army arrived. Not to mention when it comes to taking table qaurters. I would suggest substituting a dread or terminator squad (preferably ther termies) for some rhinos or even razorbacks. Makes the list that much more "Opponent Friendly" you can say and gives you a little boost in speed.

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 06:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

i tend to agree with ender...you're a little slow. especially given you have 6-man squads...and the meltaguns are gonna be waiting a while to get into range

beyond that, i'd say give that assault squad a power fist on the vet sarge...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 25 Oct 2005, 06:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thank you for your suggestions. *Thay are appreciated. *I have a problem with the razorbacks that I have in my current list. *They attract heavy fire because nobody wants their cargo anywhere near them. *They get blown up early and the troops end up walking anyway. Is substituting a terminator squad with a transport with staying power, I'm sure yo know where this is going, a landraider still too power gamey? *I want a competitive list, but don't want to be that guy nobody wants to play. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 07:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

try a rhino...it may not have the fire you crave, but its cheap and with smoke and extra armour, it can be seriously useful...they're also way more useful than they might look at first

but if you're really craving a land-raider, go for it. it'll do you proud, i'm sure. and it ain't all that power-gamey

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 25 Oct 2005, 07:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Blodied fangs,
Thanks for your comments. I do not post very much but I read quite a few threads, and it is obvious that you know your marines. So with a couple minor changes, I would be minus the termies with the missiles, but plus one landraider.* now I do not need the wisdom of the ancients trait.* I can rush a metlgun squad forward in the landraider! use the long range dread to back up the plazma gun squads and that leaves me with a melt gun squad and a short range dread to move forward as fast as there feet can cary them.* Is this still too slow?* Would I be better served replacing the short ranged dread with a Razorback with tl hb, switching the advantage from wisdom of the ancients to see but don't be seen; infiltrating the 2 plaz squads and moving the termies in tandem with the dread for support?* I would be a couple points over 1500 but I could trim some fat somewhere. again thanks in advance for your reply.
At present I have a razorback, and would need to buy the second group of terminators and dread number 2 to complete the origional list so I am flexible at this time.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 07:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

my honest opinion is that ditching a termie squad and getting some razorbacks/rhinos would serve you far better than a land raider. most likely the missile launcher termie squad would be better off to drop...and then pick up your transports, if you get a rhino, bump the squad inside up a few marines, perhaps with a veteran sarge with power fist (this'd be the kind squad that'd be good for holding ground and capturing objectives)

Old 25 Oct 2005, 07:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks again... well back to the drawing board.
REVISED LIST:
Chaplain jet pack
Dread: LC, ML
5 Terminators ML, AC
6 Marines 2 plaz
6 Marines 2plaz
6 Marines 2 melt, frag, Rhino x armor, smoke
6 Marines 2 Melt, frag, Rhino x armor, smoke
8 Assault Marines 2 Flamers Vet with PF plaz pistol
5 Marines (Devistator Squad) 2 ML, 2 LC
More maneuverable, Less "powergamey"? Still Competitive?

Old 26 Oct 2005, 03:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

i'd lose the missile launcher on the termie squad in exchange for an assault cannon

beyond that, i'd be trying to scrounge up some points to bulk out the dev squad a little

but beyond that, i'd say its looking much better . dunno about less power-gamey, as that's a fairly subjective measure, but hey

Old 26 Oct 2005, 04:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Thats deffinetly more rounded and it doesnt seem power gamey to me. Personally my army would probably be able to take this apart fairly well, in fact Ive taken on armies with similar compositions before.

I would suggest you bulk up the devs some more and make sure to deploy them in a good spot that is both in cover and that does not require them to move, a nice up high place is good. The dread would be good to be carefull with line of sight. Using small windows to snipe targets but stay hidden from the majority of enemy heavy weapons as long range fire support dreads tend to go down very quickly. A single railgun slug ripped apart the last one I fought on turn 1. Keep the rhinos out of sight on their approach as much as possible and keep the foot sloggers hidden as much as possible. Get the rhinos close and have them support the termies when they come in. While the enemy focuses on the termies and your forward squads the on foot troops can close the distance. The assault marines are something you will have to keep protected even more than the rest of your army. At long range they may be ignored in favor of targeting the devs and dread but most likely they will have to cover at least some open ground before they can assault and when that happens they will get shot, a lot. So the more you can reduce that the better.

Several things to keep in mind:

The mounted squads, dread and devs are going to be high priority for any enemy so you can use that to draw them out.
The Terminators are going to get shot a lot when they arrive so if you can surround them in tacticals to draw as much fire as possible that has a chance to keep more of those termies alive.
Assault squads have the ability to flank and overrun so using that to push enemies towards the center and into a nice killing field for the rest of your army is something you should consider. Its possible to do especially against very shooty Guard, Eldar and Tau armies.

Take what you will, discard what you will. I hope this helps some.

Closed Thread