Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Dark Angels
Closed Thread
Old 19 Oct 2005, 04:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Shovah Send a message via MSN to Shovah Send a message via Yahoo to Shovah
Default Starting Dark Angels

Hi every body,

I like the Dark Angels fluff and background, so I cant make up my mind. Deathwing, or Normal Marines. I like the look of the Deathwing, but I don't know there ups and down (apart from very costly.) But I also like the simple color scheme. And all of that Plasma death. So I need your guys opinion of these two different armies.

Shovah

"... and if machine spirit is not roused, the Lithany of Profanity should be spoken, followed by ritual striking of machine with one's fist. After which, depress the red rune again."

[taken from Adeptus Mechanicus manual]
Old 19 Oct 2005, 04:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Starting Dark Angels

don't. turn back now...starting dark angels is a horrible, horrible mistake >

nah, just kidding...honestly, if i were you, i'd start by getting up about 1500 pts of dark angels (the regular ones in powered armour), with a squad of termies in there somewhere, then slowly branch into deathwing...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 19 Oct 2005, 04:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Shovah Send a message via MSN to Shovah Send a message via Yahoo to Shovah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
don't. turn back now...starting dark angels is a horrible, horrible mistake >
I got a bad feeling...

lol Anyway sounds good, but for the death wing models can I use the new Terminator models? They look juicy >

"... and if machine spirit is not roused, the Lithany of Profanity should be spoken, followed by ritual striking of machine with one's fist. After which, depress the red rune again."

Old 19 Oct 2005, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

go for it . hell, use whatever termie models you like, including chucking in GK termies if you want (IMO they might make a good sarge)

tho where might yet be a release of plastic DA termies...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 20 Oct 2005, 17:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Heres the army list I made up for start my DA: help is welcomed.

HQ;

Chaplain: 100 pts

Plasma Pistol

Troops:

7x Tactical Marines and 1x Sarge: 140 pts
1x Plasma Cannon
TRANSPOSRT
Rhino: 50 pts

4x Scouts and 1x Sarge: 75 pts
1x Missile Launcher

Heavy Support:

Vindicator: 133 pts
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers

Total: 498 pts

Old 21 Oct 2005, 10:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

BF's non-joking advice is good. Start with DA, then branch into DW later. I've got 2500 points of DA, about 900 is DW-compatible. Be sure that anything that might get played in a DW list is painted in DW colors, this is entirely cool even for a normal DA army. Examples would be Dreadnaughts and Landraiders, obviously. It would suck to have such a vehicle painted green and need to use it for a DW army...

I only have about a dozen terminators, more than I'll use in a normal DA list, but I'm suddenly crippled by the new inability to mix assaulty and shooty termies (2 lightning claws and two heavy weapons, and one chainfist had a standard slot in most of my DA armies, total of 5-7 termies). Anyway, when I get home, I'll get about 8 of the new ones to be able to field 2 shooty squads and one assaulty squad (in my crusader ;D) at 7 men each....maybe 8-9 in the assault squad, no sense wasting space in the roomy crusader, but have to leave room for the HQ!

Best advice I can give for DW is:

1. Always take 3 dreadnaughts, they cost only 2.5 times as much as a terminator, and are much cheaper Lascannon platforms than landraiders. Don't take assault cannon dreadnaughts, you can get plenty of those in terminator squads. Take either the LC/ML combo (especially on a venerable dreadnaught with "tank hunter"!) for hanging back, or take TLHB, HF, and DCCW for wading into the fray/crowd control.

2. Don't take landraiders unless you're playing at least 2000 points. at 40+ points per model, model count is your achilles heel. 250 points buys you 6 terminators, a few more gets 2 assault cannons for them. 6 termies with 2 assault cannons will do a hell of a lot more than 1 landraider. Only take landraiders for the purpose of getting lightning claws and thunderhammers into the enemy backfield. Two twinlinked lascannons are not worth 250 points. Charging 32" in 2 turns without losing a single terminator is.

3. Stay out of hand to hand with shooty terminators. Assault cannons and storm bolters do more at less risk than powerfists. Most enemies will bury powerfists behind meat shields and kill 2-3 terminators before you wipe out the squad. Your only hope in an assault against marines is lightning claws, to get to the sergeant before he swings that powerfist on I1. Making 4-5 2+ saves before hitting at the same time as a veteran sergeant with a powerfist will get you killed. You will average 1-2 dead terminators and 3-4 dead marines when taking 4 powerfists and a power sword powerfists against 9 boltguns and 1 powerfist/powersword. Problem is, he has more bodies, you don't!

4. Don't start DW till you have 15-20 games, minimum, under your belt of "Dark Angels guest starring Deathwing" Making a mistake with terminators is something you can recover from in a DA army, and that's where you want to make those inevitable mistakes. You don't want to make them in a DW army, you don't have the model count to make mistakes and win.

DA has been a very rewarding army for me. I've been patient for 3 years, I'm going to take the plunge after Christmas and build up 1500+ points of DW. If I had gone DW from the start, I would have lost at least my first 6-7 games, which would most likely have led to selling my models and starting a different army. DW is one of the most unforgiving armies out there. One preventable casualty can easily cost you the game. I hope I'm ready!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 21 Oct 2005, 16:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wow, thansk for the advice march10k!
I just found out my army list for DA is not offical (damn FAQ)

Old 21 Oct 2005, 23:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovah
Hi every body,

I like the Dark Angels fluff and background, so I cant make up my mind. Deathwing, or Normal Marines. I like the look of the Deathwing, but I don't know there ups and down (apart from very costly.) But I also like the simple color scheme. And all of that Plasma death. So I need your guys opinion of these two different armies.

Shovah
Go with a normal Dark Angels army first with Deathwing add-ons. Normal Dark Angel armies are much cheaper to buy, and also you won't be screwed if you want to enter a 1000 point tournament.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The All-father
A horror! HOOORRRROOOOORRRR!
Old 22 Oct 2005, 11:31   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Robby

Go for what you like the Look of most mate, that way you will enjoy warhammer 40k more, in other words...Follow ya heart :P lol man im cheesy. DARK ANGELS!