Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First attempt - 1000 Points
Closed Thread
Old 17 Oct 2005, 13:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default First attempt - 1000 Points

This is my first go at a 1000 point marine list, I'm a bit worried about being called on the massive ammount of points that went into my Devestator squads, who have the potential to die very quickly, but I'd like to know what you think:

HQ:
Epistolary - Stormbolter, Terminator Armour
145pts

Troops:
6 Marines (Infiltration, Enhanced Senses) - Heavy Bolter, Meltagun,
Sgt. Terminator Honours, Sgt. Plasma Pistol, Sgt. Thunder Hammer
184pts

5 Scouts - 4 Snipers
Sgt. Terminator Honours
98pts

Elites:
Dreadnaught - Venerable, TL Lascannons
145pts

Heavy Support:
6 Marines (Infiltrate, Enhanced Senses) - 3 Missile Launchers
Sgt. Terminator Honours
189pts

6 Marines (Infiltrate, Enhanced Senses) - 2 Multi-Meltas, 2 Plasma Cannons
Sgt. Terminator Honours
239pts

1000 Points dead on.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 13:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG
Default Re: First attempt - 1000 Points

I would probably get rid of one of the devastator squads and add a tactical squad

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 13:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auin'Myrrath
This is my first go at a 1000 point marine list, I'm a bit worried about being called on the massive ammount of points that went into my Devestator squads, who have the potential to die very quickly, but I'd like to know what you think:

HQ:
145pts
Ok, not too shabby, but there are HQ chocies I'd rather go with, like Librarians or Chaplains.
Quote:
Troops:
6 Marines (Infiltration, Enhanced Senses) - Heavy Bolter, Meltagun,*
184pts
A balanced squad.
Quote:
5 Scouts - 4 Snipers
Sgt. Terminator Honours
98pts
Snipers \m/>_<\m/
Quote:
Elites:
145pts
Consdier a drop pod.
Quote:
Heavy Support:
6 Marines (Infiltrate, Enhanced Senses) - 3 Missile Launchers
Sgt. Terminator Honours
189pts
6 Marines (Infiltrate, Enhanced Senses) - 2 Multi-Meltas, 2 Plasma Cannons
Sgt. Terminator Honours
239pts
Seeing a lot of armor, are we? ;D

My only problem I see is that the Dread and Command squad are the only ones not infiltrating, and are going to be left behind. Consider making some sacrifices here and there with the wargear, and get a drop pod for the Dread, and maybe a Razorback or some kind of transport for the HQ squad.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 14:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

There actually is no command squad, simply the Epistolary (who IS a librarian). He will be Termiporting in whenever possible, the Dred is mainly just to give an anchor, the Lascannons letting him fight at longer range.

With that said, I looked over the list and realized I realy couldn't live with a list that badly minimized with so much weaponry, so I did a major revision:

HQ:
145pts

Troops:
7 Marines (Infiltration, Enhanced Senses) - Heavy Bolter, Meltagun,
184pts

184pts

Elites:
145pts

10 Marines (Infiltrate, Enhanced Senses) - 2 Multi-Meltas, 2 Plasma Cannons
Sgt. Terminator Honours, Sgt. Power Weapon
325pts

Old 17 Oct 2005, 15:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

'HQ:
145pts
'

Seems ok, but the main draw of Termie Armour is usually that it can teleport, when you have no other Termies in the army it seems a little odd. Will reduce your chances of cutting down fleeing squads etc if he joins a unit.

'Troops:
184pts

184pts
'

Odd weapon load outs. A horde killing heavy weapon, tank killing special weapon and heavt infantry killing pistol. I'd give the first squad a Plasma Gun rather than the Meltagun and drop the Heavy Bolter. Get into range, rapid fire, then recieve the charge. You could then have the other in a more supporting role, that means you can drop the Plasma Pistol [keep the Melta Gun just in case], you could also drop the Hammer for a Fist. This would allow you two more Marines in the other squad.

'Elites:
145pts
'

If its venerable and has a Lascannon, you may aswell give it the Tank Hunter skill.

'10 Marines (Infiltrate, Enhanced Senses) - 2 Multi-Meltas, 2 Plasma Cannons
325pts
'

Again an odd weapon load out, but not too bad this time. The MM can kill some heavy infantry which is what the Plasma Cannon is designed for but the Plasma Cannon cant deal with heavy tanks, which is what the MM is designed for. The squad will be decent against medium tanks though.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 01:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
'HQ:
145pts'

Seems ok, but the main draw of Termie Armour is usually that it can teleport, when you have no other Termies in the army it seems a little odd. Will reduce your chances of cutting down fleeing squads etc if he joins a unit.
I plan to toss in a Terminator squad at a later point, for the 1000 point list his purpose is realy just to be a pontentially scary guy that can tackle other threats - if I can deep strike him, he'll probably stay either with the assaulty Tac Squads, or as a deterant to people chasing the Devs. If I can't deepstrike, chances are I won't be Infiltrating either, so he can just stick around with the rest of the poor sods with no transports.

Quote:
'Troops:
184pts

184pts'

Odd weapon load outs. A horde killing heavy weapon, tank killing special weapon and heavt infantry killing pistol. I'd give the first squad a Plasma Gun rather than the Meltagun and drop the Heavy Bolter. Get into range, rapid fire, then recieve the charge. You could then have the other in a more supporting role, that means you can drop the Plasma Pistol [keep the Melta Gun just in case], you could also drop the Hammer for a Fist. This would allow you two more Marines in the other squad.
Granted, it's probably not the most intelegent layout for a pair of Tac Squads, but it suits me fairly well - origionally the only weapon was a Meltagun for assaults, but I realized I had a serious deficit of anti-horde firepower. The Heavy Bolters got tossed in since the Devs were otherwise occupied, and it gives them flexibility against a few problems that might spring up:
a) Not being able to Infiltrate into position for an early charge, so they have some backup punch.
b) Not being able to Infiltrate, period, so they can still put up some heavy firepower.
c) Being stranded with no assault targets, so they can still hose some mid-light fire.

The plasma pistols are up for debate, but I chose to include them because they're powerful and can be used as a CCW, and it gives a tad of extra "oumph". The thunder hammer is a fluff inclusion, a howling Norseman with a big glove doesn't scratch a howling Norseman with a huge hammer - they should be manditory for Space Wolves :P.

Quote:
'Elites:
145pts'

If its venerable and has a Lascannon, you may aswell give it the Tank Hunter skill.
Beleive me, whenever I play a 1010 point game he'll be Tank Hunter - I just couldn't squeeze in in, though.

Quote:
'10 Marines (Infiltrate, Enhanced Senses) - 2 Multi-Meltas, 2 Plasma Cannons
325pts'

Again an odd weapon load out, but not too bad this time. The MM can kill some heavy infantry which is what the Plasma Cannon is designed for but the Plasma Cannon cant deal with heavy tanks, which is what the MM is designed for. The squad will be decent against medium tanks though.
Full-out Plasma Cannons would be expensive, beardy, and unweildy (not to mention suicidal!), while full Meltas would be useless but for armour. I decided on the mix because they can both toast heavy infantry and medium armour, while the Meltas can brutalize the likes of Russes, Landraiders, and Monoliths.

Finally having the rulebook in front of me, I can see that "enhanced senses" is a nightfighting abilty, not the Initiative boost I had hoped for - 24 points freed up right there! Tankhunter amd Extra Armour for the Dread, and maybe a toy here and there - the thing I like about this list is that I don't need to worry about those few measly points for Auspexes - if there's a peice of terrain, I'll probably have something scary sitting in it! Thanks for the input, everyone - 1500 and 2000 point lists are coming, if you want the background ethos for the list, look for "The Wandering Legions" thread - it includes Traits and the thinking that went into the army building.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 03:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I like your army. The only problem I have with it, though, is this:

Quote:
325pts
I'm not a big fan of Multimeltas, they are too short ranged to be of any real use to Devestator squads. If the enemy is close enough to be shot at by the Meltas, either he/she is not very clever and ran up way too far, or they've taken out your other squads and are going in for the kill. Also, the Melta bonus won't be of any use unless the tank is in 12", and at that point you're pretty screwed. I'd replace them with Missile Launchers, they are more versatile when not facing a power-armoured threat.

Another thing is the Terminator Honours and Power Weapon on your Sergeant. The power weapons is pretty useless since you'll never want your Devestators in CC, and while the Honours is useful for the Ld, the target you should be shooting at will be bigger than the surrounding models, so you won't need to take the test. Granted it could come in use when firing at squads, but you'll most likely pass the test with Ld 8.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Old 18 Oct 2005, 16:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathbringer
I like your army. The only problem I have with it, though, is this:

Quote:
325pts
I'm not a big fan of Multimeltas, they are too short ranged to be of any real use to Devestator squads. If the enemy is close enough to be shot at by the Meltas, either he/she is not very clever and ran up way too far, or they've taken out your other squads and are going in for the kill. Also, the Melta bonus won't be of any use unless the tank is in 12", and at that point you're pretty screwed. I'd replace them with Missile Launchers, they are more versatile when not facing a power-armoured threat.

Another thing is the Terminator Honours and Power Weapon on your Sergeant. The power weapons is pretty useless since you'll never want your Devestators in CC, and while the Honours is useful for the Ld, the target you should be shooting at will be bigger than the surrounding models, so you won't need to take the test. Granted it could come in use when firing at squads, but you'll most likely pass the test with Ld 8.
I figured on the Meltas to exploit the fact that they can get into very close range via Infiltrate - initially I never liked them either, but I'll give them a try. The power weapon if just for a bit of backup, but it's gone now in any case... the Terminator Honours is more fluff than function, but the added LD helps as they will be fire magnets early on.

Revised List (Again):
HQ:
Epistolary - Storm Bolter, Terminator Armour
145pts

Troops:
8 Marines (Infiltration) - Heavy Bolter, Meltagun,
Sgt. Terminator Honours, Sgt. Thunder Hammer
184pts

8 Marines (Infiltration) - Heavy Bolter, Meltagun,
Sgt. Terminator Honours, Sgt. Thunder Hammer
184pts

Elites:
Dreadnaught - TL Lascannons, Venerable, Tank Hunter, Extra Armour
160pts

Heavy Support:
9 Marines (Infiltrate) - 2x Multi Meltas, 2x Plasma Cannons
Sgt. Terminator Honours
Old 26 Oct 2005, 07:30   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Robby

Chaplain on a Bike are always good! Or you could get a Chaplain with the Death Companys For your HQ. Always a good idea!
Old 26 Oct 2005, 14:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sorry, Robby... but this almost seems like Spam. This isn't a Blood Angel army, and theres no mention of any kind of Chaplain anywhere in this list...
Closed Thread