Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Depicting Space Wolves
Closed Thread
Old 15 Oct 2005, 21:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Depicting Space Wolves

Hi

My son wants to build his own army, using the Space Wolves codex but wants to paint them red (aka the Blood Wolves)...would this cause anyone a problem in a tournament? Also, some of the SM he has are vanilla marines, gain do you have to use SW fugs for SW troops?
Old 15 Oct 2005, 22:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Depicting Space Wolves

Not realy, a Marine with a Bolter is a Marine with a Bolter - if you expect realy picky opponents, just put on some SW transfers - there should be plenty extra if you get a single box of Blood Claws or Grey Slayers
Old 15 Oct 2005, 23:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's perfectly fine, no one should object to your son's decisions (except for maybe tournament officials, but I doubt it). Your son would probably have to come up with a good reason as to why they are painted red instead of their normal colours, but as long as it makes enough sense people should have no problems with it.

And no, you don't HAVE to use SW figures for SW troops, its just that the box sets come with a nice extra sprue that makes the marines look more wolfy.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Old 16 Oct 2005, 00:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

How do you think people use the angels encarmine or sanguine or the flesh tearers or blood drinkers. Those are all splinter chapters from the Blood Angels, you just use the Blood Angels rules with them and your all good.

If you write some fluff for these Blood Wolves as a splinter chapter of the Space Wolves it should be all good. Even campaign officials shouldnt have a problem.

You can bits order the space wolf accessory sprue from a GW catalogue to spice up your existing marines. Prime them, paint them and glue em on.

Old 16 Oct 2005, 05:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

well i havnt had a problem to date, and my combat patrol Sons Of Anubis are doing fine, they use the SW list, but have no visual recognition to SW (except from really big fangs!!!) and i have been in two tournaments with them...
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 16 Oct 2005, 09:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have been thinking of doing the same. Using the marine codex for beak away chapter of the space wolves.

I also use "normal" marine figures for SW. I just add in a extra bit or two to make them fit in better. I bought a BClaws box and have used bits from it with the new Space marine unit box.

Good Luck to him
WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 16 Oct 2005, 10:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by freecloud
Hi

My son wants to build his own army, using the Space Wolves codex but wants to paint them red (aka the Blood Wolves)...would this cause anyone a problem in a tournament? Also, some of the SM he has are vanilla marines, gain do you have to use SW fugs for SW troops?

it should be perfectly acceptible, providing he states "my blood wolves follow the SPace Wolf codex - they are a successor chapter" and that if asked, he will show which squads are "blood claws" equivelants, or "grey hunters" equivelants. i personally would have no problem accepting this.
having a few lines of fluff is generally needed in certain tourneys anyway so it would not go amiss....

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 16 Oct 2005, 19:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
it should be perfectly acceptible, providing he states "my blood wolves follow the SPace Wolf codex - they are a successor chapter" and that if asked, he will show which squads are "blood claws" equivelants, or "grey hunters" equivelants. i personally would have no problem accepting this.
having a few lines of fluff is generally needed in certain tourneys anyway so it would not go amiss....
Thanks all, thats what we've done...we actually went for a white uniform (sort of an ice theme) with red shoulder pads and a Raven emble (the Vikings used the raven standard a lot). Paints up quite well.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 00:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freecloud
the Vikings used the raven standard a lot.
Odin used ravens, if that helps with fluff writing...
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 18 Oct 2005, 07:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcaster Tefnik
Odin used ravens, if that helps with fluff writing...
Thanks....we just need a way of spinning them out of SW now.....best seems to be post heresy, the Codex mentions many tall tales, some with a germ of truth. Viking mythology is full of adventurers going wandering, I think the founding of this lot needs to be some form of Saga whwre some senior SW bod takes off to go a-viking.