Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000p tournament coming up
Closed Thread
Old 15 Oct 2005, 16:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default 2000p tournament coming up

I'm going to a 2000p tournament in a couple of weeks. But I need some ideas for my
army's buildup. Would anybody care to help. I do not have any dreads or tanks, only
a razorback and different equipped marines+ 4 normal termies and 1 with assaultcannon..
It will be a footslogging army.
The only armies I am sure will be my opponents is several different SM chapters, chaos and Tau.
Old 15 Oct 2005, 16:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 2000p tournament coming up

You have 1900 points of SM infantry and only one vehicle???

Well....concentrate on the power-armored foes, then. What works against them will work against tau (though it may be overkill for the points). Take as many lascannons as you can. Don't take missile launchers, the frag missiles will be worthless against these foes. Take as much plasma as you can, you'll need it to defeat power armor. Take as many assaulty-type marines as you can, you won't be able to outshoot any of these foes.

Best bet: Take the traits that allow you to infiltrate and either the one that allows two assault weapons per squad, or true grit. Take as many assault-oriented veteran squads as you can. Take meltaguns, you're in close so the range is acceptable. Consider a multimelta devastator squad (infiltrating S8 AP1 at 24"...trust me, it's nasty!) if you have the models.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 16 Oct 2005, 17:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well first off, in order to help you better, we would require a list of your current army as well as what models you have available. From your rather vague list of opponents, I can give you the following advice.

For loyalists, take traits. If you want to be a little defensive, take the traits "Trust Your Battle Brothers" (enableing your Space Marines to take True Grit and Counter-Attack) and "Honour Your Wargear" (Devestators can be taken as Elites or Heavy Support, though if taken as Elites, they must have Tank Hunters or Infiltrate). These two traits combines will give you a solid, defensive line. You will have plenty of fire power to go around, and you can even infiltrate a Devastator squad or two. Your Tactical Squads will form a strong front line as they are considered to have two CCW. For a defensive list, I would suggest 3-4 Tactical squads that are 7-10 marines strong. Add a Veteran Sgt. with a power weapon, and you already have a formidable force if used correctly.

For an offensive list against Loyalists, I would sugggest the traits "See, But Don't be seen" (enabling Tactical squads or Devistators to infiltrate) and "No Mercy, No Respite" (Gives your Tactical Squads and Assault Squads Furious Assault). This gives you a very offensive list right off the start that is in your opponents face quite early in the game. Again, take 3-4 Tactical Squads that are 6-8 Marines strong, with a Veteran Sgt. with a power weapon. Take a few Assault squads and use your Terminators to Deepstrike into the midst of the enemy. If the mission allows Deepstrike, Deepstrike your Assault Squad(s) with the Terminators to pack that much more punch as well as to act as supporting unit(s) until the rest of your army arrives.

Now, against Chaos you may have some trouble hear. Chaos have a range of nasty tricks up there sleeve and its hard to keep track and be aware of all of them. The Chaos army list is quite possibly the most versatile codex out there. With this in mind, you must be prepared for everything. Of course you may be up against a specific Chaos God, so you change your base plan accordingly. Your key against Chaos is as many high strength weapons as possible. This means Lascannons, Plasma Cannons and plenty of Powerfists. You want to take down those Defilers, Daemon Princes, and Greater Daemons as soon as possible, otherwise you will feel the hurt (my friend feilds all three in a 1000pt World Eaters army :-[) I would not exactly take any traits against Chaos, just because if you take the wrong trait, your plans are shot down the drain before the game begins. If you were to take triats, I would limit the trait to one. Possibly "See, But Don't Be Seen" or maybe even "Blessed be The Warriors" (allows your Assault squads to be taken as Elites, but must take Furious Assault).
If you take "See, but Don't Be Seen", it might be a good idea to give your Tactical Squads Melta-Guns, or even give your Devistators 4 Multi-Meltas. This allows you to handle tough units such as Choson, Nurgle Plague Marines (Nurgles equivalent of a standard Space Marine) or even Obliterators. It gives you a little more punch, while not crippling yourself against one element of the game. They key against Chaos, is to keep your army balanced, with each unit supporting another. NO ONE UNIT SHOULD RELY UPON ITSELF. While the points loss may be a little more forgiving in larger games, once the last turn rolls around, you could be kicking yourself for wasting a much needed unit.

And finally (wow...I'm winded just by typing this!) against Tau, I would suggest the traits "See, But Don't Be Seen" and "Take The Fight To Them" (Tactical Squads may exchange their Bolter for a Bolt Pistol and CCW). This allows you to infiltrate possibly behind their lines, and gives you the additional attack that may win you combat on the first turn. A Tactical Squad would have 3 attacks/Marine on the charge. With 9 Marines and a Veteran Sgt. you will have roughly 31 (plus 1 Attack for the Veteran Sgt.) against 12 or 14 models. Their is a very high chance that they will not make 12 4+ armour saves. For shooting, I would suggest Missile Launchers and Heavy Bolters. You may even want to put a few in your Tactical squads. Deepstrike your Terminators into the rear of the Tau lines, (preferably out of Line of Sight) and use them to take out any Broadsides. I say to Deepstike them in cover because you can not assault on the turn you Deep Strike, meaning you would have every Railgun and Plasma Rifle pointing in their face. Essentially against Tau, it is idealistic for your Assault oriented elements to close ground quickly and your Shooting oriented element to concentrate large amounts of fire.

This should pretty much cover it, though a more specific list of models you have as well as the list of Chapters and Legions you will face would have made this a little more lengthy, but I feel this should suffice. Good Luck in the tournament!

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 20:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks. You are most helpful. I had already made a list, and your ideas look rather similar to mine.
But I do not only have regular marines. I forgot to mention that i have bikes, assault marines, and scouts...
I should have written that earlier.
In my list I have deep striking termies, 2 veteran squads with infiltrate. One shooty and one assaulty.
I use one 10 man, fully tooled assault squad with furious charge and a 3+1 bike/attackbike squad for tankhunting.
One squad of sniperscouts. And one librarian with infiltrating assault command squad.
The remaining points is spent on devastator squads with supporting tac squads with flamers/plasmaguns.
Just found out I will be facing an all out daemon army early in the tournament. Lots of bloodletters and stuff...
Old 17 Oct 2005, 02:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

hmmm sounds like a Daemon Bomb. This should be easy to take care of if your opponent is not experienced with it. What I would do, is since the majority of his army will be held in reserve, you should do as much damage as possible in your first turn. Target any unit that carries an icon with concentrated fire and if possible, assault him with your assault squad and scouts. Keep your shooting units such as your Devistators, some tactical squads and your sniper scouts well back, but not too far back as to be completly out of the fight. use them to shoot any daemons that advance on them. If your luck is good, you can hold up all his icons on the far edge of the table and force his daemons to footslog it farther then he would like. From there, the rest is all improvisation as the battle rages on.

Against this army, the first turn will be the most important. Gain the upper hand quickly and maintain control, never allow him a foot hold that could turn the tide of the battle. Bloodletters are nasty creatures, but they fall fairly quickly to high strength, low AP weaponry. If and when he manages to summon daemons, concentrate on them until the unit is reduced to a manageable size, or wipe them out completly if they pose a very big game turning threat. Again, try and hold up his icons, and stay away from the daemons as much as possible, only chargeing into assault when the unit has been reduced to a manageable number. Remember that once the squad is reduced to 50% strength, they are forced to take instability tests. This could easily win you the game. Just take care of the Icons, and reduce the daemon units to 50% and you should do fairly well.

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 13:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew "Ender" Wiggin
You want to take down those Defilers, Daemon Princes, and Greater Daemons as soon as possible, otherwise you will feel the hurt (my friend feilds all three in a 1000pt World Eaters army :-[)
0_o

How does that work? I mean, what, It's those three, and like two Berzerkers?
Old 17 Oct 2005, 14:57   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

My ideas may limit your chances against daemon bombs and such but here goes:

Chapter Traits: Take the fight to them, Cleanse and Purify
Chapter Drawbacks: Death before Dishonouor, Eye to Eye

HQ
Epistolary - Terminator armour, Storm Bolter, Veil of Time, Bionics, Fury of the Ancients
Chapter Master - Pair of Lighning claws (1 master-crafted), Terminator Armour, Bionics, Adamantine Mantle
Terminator Command Squad - 5 terminators, 1 assault cannon, 2 chainfists.

Troops
2 x 10 man Tactical Squads - Bolt pistol + cc weapon, 2 flamers, sergeant with power weapon, bolt pistol, terminator honours.

10 man Tactical Squad - bolt pistol + cc weapon, 2 meltaguns, sergeant is the same as above.

Fast Attack
2 x Land Speeder Tornado - 1 w/ heavy bolter + assault cannon, 1 w/ multi-melta

Heavy Support
Predator Annihilator - Heavy Bolter sponsons, Power of the Machine Spirit, pintle-mounted storm bolter, extra armour.

This is only a 1500pt army, if you decide to use this then the other 500pts or so is up to you. This list has worked fairly well for me, I've played 6/7 games, won 2, drawn 1, and I'm not a very good player, not to mention the fact that I've played 'Nids for about a year and have only recently added Marines to my collection.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 16:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Okay. Here is the list.

Librarian Codicier- Force Weapon, Bolt pistol, Psychic hood, Might of heroes, Infiltrate
109p
Command squad- 10xMarines,7x with Chainsword+Bolt pistol 2xFlamers, Company champion, Infiltrate
212p
Terminator squad- 5xTerminators, Assault cannon, 2xChainfist, (Deep strike)
230p
Veteran squad- 10xVeterans, 8xwith Chainsword+Bolt pistol, Power fist, Power weapon, (Infiltrate)
220p
Veteran squad- 10xVeterans, 8xwith Bolters, Plasma cannon, Meltagun, (Infiltrate)
210p
Scout squad- 6xScouts, 3xwith CCW+Bolt pistol, 2xSnipers, 1xHeavy bolter (Infiltrate)
93p
Tactical squad- 6xMarines, 2xPlasma guns, Razorback with twin l. lascannons and smoke launchers
208p
Assault squad- 10xMarines, 2xPlasma pistols, Meltabombs, 1xTerminator honors, 1xPower fist, Auspex, Furious charge
322p
Bike squad- 3xBikes+1xAttack bike, 2xMelta gun, 1xMultimelta
181p
Devatator squad- 8xMarines, 3xMissile launchers, 1x Lascannon
215p

Total 2000p
This is about every model I have got...
Any further opinions?

Old 21 Oct 2005, 07:57   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

First of all I'd recommend giving the Librarian Veil of Time instead of Might of Heroes. Also the scout squad with the sniper and heavy bolter, they need to built for combat or shooting, not a combination, if you try combining shooting ability with combat ability then most of the time it's going to blow up in your face (I know, I've tried it.)

Apart from that this is a very good list, just be careful not to let your rear units be attacked by fast attack, they might be able to deal with deep strikers as they can't charge when they land but fast attack, in particular bikes, can be very deadly on the charge into isolated units so I'd make these units one of your top priorities.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Closed Thread