Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Army Idea - Up close and personal marines.
Closed Thread
Old 10 Oct 2005, 00:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Army Idea - Up close and personal marines.

Let me start off by saying I own IG and Tau right now. My IG are very static, and my Tau are mechanized. I have been thinking about starting a rapid assault marine force.

I don't have any traits picked out yet, but I know that I will be using cleanse and purify and I want to take some drawbacks that are actually fluffy, not just the stupid ones that will never actually effect performance.

I would base the army around these units:
- 5 man tactical squads w/ 2 special weapons and powerfists.
- Razorbacks to carry these squads, all with TL lascannon turret.
- Chaplain with jump-pack as HQ
- Large assault squad to accompany chaplain
- Landspeeders with assault cannons
- Predator Destructor w/ sponson HB
- Attack Bikes with heavy bolters

The overall plan would be for the army to boost ahead first turn and use as much terrain as possible, then the following turns move up at 6 inch crawl with tanks letting lose with all the firepower while the assault squad and bike squad A) move up behind cover of tanks or B) jump ahead to engage. This would really depend on the weapons the other force is packing. I like this idea because I think it fits marine fluff farely well utilizing the idea of a rapid strike force packing a punch.
In the coming days I'll write up a 1500 list for everyone to critique but until then what do you guys think about this idea?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 04:36   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Army Idea - Up close and personal marines.

Hi

i'm an avid marine player, and from what i can read sounds pretty good although some suggestions and possible changes to the army could be

-bumping up the tactical squads
reason being, if your razorbacks get shot down you can lose a squad very quickly because of the small size

-razorbacks are a resonable choice but as they are a dedicated transport vehicle they will lose there effectivness once they have dropped the marines and with the ability to only shoot one shot per turn, this could be a problem for your army

-Chaplian with jump pack is the way to go as he kicks in combat and makes them fearless (good choice)

-Assault Squad is a must to accompany the chaplian with jump pack, and depending on what army you are facing a sergeant equipped with powerfist and either a pair of flamers or plasma pistols... sounds good and acts well.

-Landspeeders are very useful and highly effective at drawing enemy fire away from your razorbacks but on the downside they only have light armour and a well placed heavy bolter or bolter shot can destory you plan... if you use the landspeeders use them as a hit and run unit

-As for predator destructors i have never used one but i have used the annihalator and when this is used in tandem with combat squads can be highly effective.

-Attack bikes are good and are even better than normal bikes as they have two wounds, if i was taking bikes i would probably be inclined to take three bikes one multimelta and to hb's this would then give you bikes the effectiveness of taking on light troops and also heavier sqauds and tanks.

As for the traits if you are going to take cleanse and purify another good one to take with that is either "take the fight to them" or "see but don't be seen" this would make you tacticals squads better in combat and with cleanse and purify giving them better shooting from short to medium range could prove effective.

Anyways this is what i think could help you

Cheers Daemonic-Archangel >
Old 10 Oct 2005, 05:01   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I really wish I could up the squad size, but can't razorbacks only hold squads of 5? I think with all my razorback TL lascannons the predator destructor will be more effective pumping out 8 shots a turn then a 3 shot a turn predator annialator. See but don't be seen is the infiltrate ability right? If it is I probably won't take it because I plan on everything being mounted at the beginning of the game. Thanks for the advice I'm taking into consideration the weapons on the attack bikes ;D.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 05:10   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Okay

Razorbacks can hold squads of six,

if you also want to have everything mounted at the start of the game you could also try the drpo pod rules and put your tatical squads into drop pods. This could prove effective when used with cleanse and purify as when you drop pod in you count as moving and the special weapons are assault you could fire.

That could cause haovc amognst a well planned enemy line and as drop pods can hold a ten man tactical squad.

also if you took out the predator and reduced the lascannons on the razorbacks to heavy bolters that gives you anti infantry support and you could then take devs with lascannons, missile launchers etc...

and as you can take meltaguns in tactical squads 2 of those could cause havoc in the back line when dropped in with a tactical squad.

Cheers Daemonic-Archangel > 0_0
Old 10 Oct 2005, 05:22   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm liking the drop pod idea. But aren't the only drop pods from forgeworld? And if I'm going to do drop-pods I can drop the razorbacks and maybe drop pod some dreads too. Knowing that the Razorbacks can hold squads of 6 is nice an extra body always helps. Would it be possible to mix it up? Maybe pod a squad of 10 and also mount 3-4 squads in razorbacks. That way as the smaller squads are arriving the drop pod will of been there for a turn or two.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 05:32   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by koggol
I'm liking the drop pod idea.* But aren't the only drop pods from forgeworld?* And if I'm going to do drop-pods I can drop the razorbacks and maybe drop pod some dreads too.* Knowing that the Razorbacks can hold squads of 6 is nice an extra body always helps.* Would it be possible to mix it up? Maybe pod a squad of 10 and also mount 3-4 squads in razorbacks.* That way as the smaller squads are arriving the drop pod will of been there for a turn or two.
Hello again

With the drop pod rules i am also liking your idea with the drop podding of the tactical squads and the dreadnoughts, this could be used in a way that you use you drop pod tactical squads to drop in and hold the objective and / or harrass the enemy backline with you special weapons until the cavalry can arrive in the shape of your razorback tactical sqauds.

One problem with this is it is a highly effective stratergy but if you drop pods tun up a turn too early then you may end up with your tactical sqaud either being shot to peices or being overwhelmed by a fast moving enemy unit, your ideas are sound ones, the only thing you can do now is practice and learn from what happens in the games you play

Cheers Daemonic-Archangel > 0_0
Closed Thread