Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Have space marines gone all shooty?
Closed Thread
Old 09 Oct 2005, 22:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Have space marines gone all shooty?

I can't remeber the last Time I saw an assaulty space marine army.

Even against tau they don't charge anymore. In Objective based games they just stand and shoot until turn four when they move two or three sqauds near an objective.

What happened. Whats so stratigic about this?

RailgunV42
Old 09 Oct 2005, 22:46   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Have space marines gone all shooty?

Marines do very well in shooting, they always have. However, they also do well in assault. 3rd Edition favoured assault, so Marines favoured assault. Now 4th Edition favours shooting, so Marines favour shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 09 Oct 2005, 23:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to phish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailgunV42

Even against tau they don't charge anymore. In Objective based games they just stand and shoot until turn four when they move two or three sqauds near an objective.

RailgunV42
Hmmm........Well My entire army is based on assault! And the other person i know who plays has an assaulty based army too. Ive never really seen any of this.
Old 09 Oct 2005, 23:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Tell that to my Tactical Squads - BP/CCW and a Meltagun. Marines are what you make them; they are always good in assault but can be made into very lethal shooters as well. The reason I see you might have noticed more shooting armies is that to make a squad assaulty you must sacrifice alot of the shooting potential - take a squad with a Lascannon and Plasma Gun vs. a Trait Army squad with bolt pistols & CCWs with a Meltagun and Flamer - at close range it is powerful and in assault you have more of the same that you would get with shooters, but you loose the Bolters and heavy/special weapons.
Old 09 Oct 2005, 23:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Yes, I think Wargamer sumed it up. Third edition was all about getting stuck in at some point. Now shooting has a better role than it did. Since most you see right now are straight up codex marines your going to alot of shooting simly because the amin rues sway them more in that direction. You might see that reversed with the release of the Black Templar codex. Definatly expect to see some of it reversed when Space Wolves finally come along!
Old 10 Oct 2005, 12:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:

RailgunV42
seems you've never faced space wolves, blood angels, or black templars....

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 10 Oct 2005, 18:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
Quote:

RailgunV42
seems you've never faced space wolves, blood angels, or black templars....
I haven't seen those armies played since third edition deadnight.
i think Wargamer go the answer.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 19:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The basic SM tatical squad is NOT an elite close combat unit.

Bet as to the claim there are no CC SM armies, 1 in 3 are, 1 in 3 are shooty, the last 1 in 3 are mixed.

But where I live there seems to be alot of CC.

I have a mixed army, I got my firepower, but I also pack my 10 assult troopers and DH. My friend has BA, and we all should know how pure CC they are. My other friend has DA, and he has some kind of lighning claw fetish and 20 terminators.

Most of SM armies I come across are very CC based. Since the change to 4th ed. I've notice no change, other then the lack of Rhino rush.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 10:19   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

My marines are pure combat. The entire army consists of 30 Marines with bolt pistol and close combat weapon (except Sergeants who have power weapon instead), Chapter Master with a pair of lightning claws (1 is master-crafted), a Librarian and a Terminator Command Squad with 2 x chainfist and an assault cannon. Also there is a Predator Annihilator with heavy bolter sponsons, Power of the Machine Spirit and extra armour, and 2 land speeder tornadoes, 1 with heavy bolter and assault cannon and 1 with multi-melta.

So no, not all Marines are now shooty.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 09:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Mine always were shooty. In 3rd edition, I was the one complaining that marines were all assaulty...well, not complaining, exactly, more like commenting. How could I complain, when they were too busy rushing across the board to take the time to deal with my shooters? Generally, half of them were dead before they reached me, and stubborn 10-man DA tactical squads have little trouble finishing off depleted assault squads ;D I especially loved blood angels with their cheesy "death company charge of a hundred jump-packing powerfists"....They made great targets for my plasma cannons, and the rest of the army generally had nothing to offer, since it existed solely to create the largest possible command squad for my shooting pleasure.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread