Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Legion 888: The Mentors.
Closed Thread
Old 07 Oct 2005, 14:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Legion 888: The Mentors.

Notes: I began the Mentor Legion Chapter back in 1st Edition, inspired by the inside cover of the WH40K Compendium which featured their commander, Nisk Ran-Thall. The early WD's had a single photo of a Space Marine in Mk VIII armor identified as a Mentor Legion Space Marine. I went out to the local hobby stores and barely found enough blisters to field one full squad in Mk VIII, and built the rest of the army from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition plastic sprues. I'm hoping to re-vamp this army for 4th, but I really want this army to feel like the historical Space Marine armies, i.e. mostly infantry with bolters, and a mix of unusual weaponry and wargear by today's standards. The Mentor Legion is noted for being "test pilots" of Imperial weaponry, so they would have a good mix of different weapons, but not an abundance of any one. Additionally, they practice advanced field maneuvers so they are more likely to have skills like true grit and infiltrate versus furious charge.

Yes, I know it sounds bad tactically, but believe it or not I've gone 16-0-1 with this army. Go figure.

Anyone wishing to view this armor can look here.

Mentor Legion Special Rules:

Mk VIII armor: The Mentors are noted for having the most access to this rare armor variant. The armor features a number of improvements over the Mk VII armor, notably the incorporation of the respiration system into the helmet, and extra plating over the thoracic vascular systems. "Errant Armor" as it is known as, is ideal for arboreal and harsh enviornment missions where standard Mk VII armor would be more vulnerable. Additionally, Mentor Legion Space Marines are trained in the art of power-armor non-standard activation processes, which allows them to stow Errant armor in forward combat zones and even suit up on the field without the aid of an Adeptus Servo. Errant armor is normally reserved for officers, veterans, and HQ detachments.

In game terms, a model wearing Errant armor must take the infiltration skill at +3 points/model. (SBDNBS)

Furthermore, because Mentor Legion detachments are almost always testing Errant armor, a Mentor Legion army is not allowed to take Drop Pods. (Die Standing)

Combat test-pilots: The Mentors have a wide variety of combat equipment, and are authorized to test this equipment in live battle situations. Therefore, in any battle situation, it is likely to see veteran Mentors and officers displaying a wide variety of equipment, and few carry the same equipment.

All wargear in the Space Marines armoury has a limit of 0-1 for any Mentor Legion army.

************************************************** **************************************************

So anyway- that's the fluff for my army. It's not designed with the "best way to win" in mind, I just really wanted to stay true to the minor bits and pieces I've seen of the Mentor Legion. I'll be building a 1k list using these rules, with my MkVIII veteran squad.
Old 07 Oct 2005, 15:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default Re: Legion 888: The Mentors.

Very nice.* Incredibly fluffy..I like it. Also the rules are all legal.

Good luck.* Can't wait to see your list.

In fact, this has just inspired me for some fluff...

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 07 Oct 2005, 15:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks, but I can't really take credit for the fluff. There have been subtle hints about what this Chapter is from WD, and I did some looking at other fansites to make sure I was in line with that they thought the Mentors were like. Every once in a while, someone will see or hear about my army and say, "I know a guy who plays that chapter too" but I have yet to encounter a fellow Mentors player.

My main consideration at this point is whether to make the MkVIII guys a veteran squad- so I can give them true grit, a vet sgt. with a combi-weapon (weird I know but I'm trying to stay wysiwyg), or make them a command squad so I can infiltrate my commander too. Either way, the squad will have a meltagun and a combi-weapon, and the squad is armed with bolters. I like the Vet option because I'll have 2A and can take true grit, but then my Commander (power weapon, bolt pistol, artificer armor, Iron Halo) will be forced to march across the field.

FYI- I'll also incorporate a scout unit, which includes a vet sgt as well, a dreadnought, a vindicator, and at least 2 tac squads.
Old 07 Oct 2005, 17:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Spaceknight

Pics please I would love to see this

Im dyislexic dont hate me for it
Old 07 Oct 2005, 18:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sure thing. My brother and I have a 1k battle scheduled for either this weekend or the next (as part of the Playoffs we run) so I will be sure and take photos from that fight.

I'd like to repaint a few things, particularly thr Mk VIII and the Dreadnought. The army looks hodge-podge, from years of different painting skills and model molds. I should really sit down and repaint the whole army together, but I can't ever seem to find the time!

Old 07 Oct 2005, 19:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Spaceknight

Cheers ;D

Im dyislexic dont hate me for it
Old 08 Oct 2005, 13:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Why don't you post the army list?

Old 08 Oct 2005, 17:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I agree. Lets see a list!
Old 09 Oct 2005, 02:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I took a force that's very, very basic for most people's taste. It has to do with the Honor Code I'm following for the playoffs:

HQ:

Commander Nisk Ranthall- Artificer Armor, Power Weapon

COmmand squad consists of 9 Marines in Errant Armor (infiltrate), 1 with Meltagun, 1 with Plasma Gun

Elites:

Venerable Dreadnought with Twin Linked Lascannon, Dreadnought close combat weapon, Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers

Troops:

10 Tactical Marines, 1 with Missile Launcher, 1 with Flamer

10 Tactical Marines, 1 with Missile Launcher, 1 with Flamer

Scout Squad with Vet Sgt and a Combi-Melta, 2x Shotguns, 1 bolter, 1 bolt pistol and CC weapon.

This army squared off with Tau in the first round today and this battle was a doozy!! I'll post the battle report when it becomes available! Sneak Peak!

Old 09 Oct 2005, 19:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hm...

Whats the armies overall strategy? It seems that it just combines alot and plans are made on the go. This may or may not work... please let me know of your army's strategy; I'm curious.

Nice paint job

Closed Thread