Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vindicator or Assualt Squad?
Closed Thread
Old 05 Oct 2005, 23:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Skyblazer
Default Vindicator or Assualt Squad?

I am using a infiltrating space marine army. I was originally planning to use the follwing to fill up the last 220 points of my army:

A vindicator and either:

a. a techmarine

b. a predator

c. a whirlwind with Castellan missiles

However, the release of those beautiful new terminator assualt squad models has convinced me to think again about filling up the final 220 points of my army. Please tell me what I should use and why. Thank you in advance for your advice.
Old 05 Oct 2005, 23:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default Re: Vindicator or Assualt Squad?

Assualt techmarines for a infiltrating army; whats better than a squad of awesome termies able to show up right at their front door equipped to take on a greater daemon? Well, atleast for this army.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 05 Oct 2005, 23:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

SMR, I assume that you mean teleport-deepstriking in the termies - Terminators can never Infiltrate, not ever, not even with SBDBS.

If you can give us a rundown of the rest of your army, we can point you in the right direction more easily - for example, whether you need to fill a gap in the anti-horde, anti-armour, assault, etc. catagory.
Old 05 Oct 2005, 23:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

My army list in a nutshell:

1 Space marine commander (still not sure what to equip him with, it would take a whole topic to cover what I'm thinking of equipping him with, but if you want I'll post that later)

3 tactical squads of 6 marines with infiltrate and true grit; 1 squad has a melta gun, and the other has a plasma gun

1 terminator squad with assuat cannon and cyclone missile launcher

1 Landraider

1 assualt squad (not termies)

1 Dreadnought with no upgrades
Old 06 Oct 2005, 00:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auin'Myrrath
SMR, I assume that you mean teleport-deepstriking in the termies - Terminators can never Infiltrate, not ever, not even with SBDBS.

If you can give us a rundown of the rest of your army, we can point you in the right direction more easily - for example, whether you need to fill a gap in the anti-horde, anti-armour, assault, etc. catagory.
Exactly what I meant...sorry, if wording was a little unclear...

Give the 3rd squad a flamer, as you can use that to attack infantry.

The termie squad is ok. It would be etter if you did the following;

1)Get rid of missile launcher and put in an assualt cannon. They are incredibly effective, and then you can foucs all of your firepower in that squad towards infantry.
2)Get 2-3 chainfists in there for enemy Dreanought type vehicles.
?)How many termies in the squad?

The Dread should be given a drop pod! It'll have along way to go sitting back with an assualt cannon and DCCW.

Land Raider will do ok....alot of points however, and will be useless as a transport. I suggest swapping it out for a Devastator squad.

On the Dev. Squad, either swap the Land Raider for it or use the last points to get one.
The Dev. Squad, to fit in with your infiltrators theme, should be given Infiltrating and 4 Multi-Meltas. Great at Tank busting. And your army lacks that capability; besides a land raider, you have nothing else

Commander would be good equipped with a jet packed to join up with the Assualt Squad. gear the Commander up for assualt, and that squad will be hard to kill.

Old 06 Oct 2005, 00:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for all the advice.

-I forgot to mention that there was one chainfist in the Terminator squad.

-I thought about a devastator squad but in the end decided against it because it seemed to be very fragile in comparison to the Land raider, because I wanted transporting capacity, the expense in both money and points, and the fact that I could just give the same guns to the tactical squads and then divide the shooting*

-There are 5 terminators in the squad

-I'll take your advice on the drop pod if I have the points to spare

-About the flamer, wouldn't a heavy bolter work better?

-For the commander, I might as well give all of the configurations I was thinking of for him:

a. Terminator armor, thunder hammer, and lightning claw

b. Terminator armor, thunder hammer, and storm bolter

c. Artificer armor, iron halo (?), plasma pistol, Thunder hammer OR power weapon

-Lastly, a question: does a model need terminator honours or the ability to take equipment from the armoury to take a teleport homer, and can the homer be used multiple times?
Old 06 Oct 2005, 01:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Okay.

-Add 2 chainfists
-Yes it would technically do better, but flamers can hit lots of enemies. Also, you'd have to sit and shoot. There goes some points on True Grit.
-Hm. Try this;
Power Weapon or Power Fist...depends
Bolt Pistol
Jump Pack
Iron Halo

Cheaper and more effective to use.

-Keep the Land Raider than (I just finished mine; yes, they stand up against ALOT...but you don't get the guns or infiltrating ability of devs....a well...your choice)
-Homer can only be taken by those who have access to the armory. I can be used as many times as wanted.

Old 06 Oct 2005, 01:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Spock411 Send a message via MSN to Mr.Spock411 Send a message via Yahoo to Mr.Spock411

You should use a chaplain instead with a jumpack and attach him to your assault squad or instead take out the jump pack and add terminator armor ( same price) and attach him to the terminator squad. Chaplains in my view are far more effective than SM masters and when attached to a squad they make that squad even more powerful by making them fearless and re roll all hits on a charge.
Now on the subject of your landraider it all depends on what your going to put in it. If your planning to use it as static fire power just use a predator instead with side sponsoon Lascannons much cheaper and useful.
And last the termi assault squad, i don't think you should get them because overall the regular termies to me are more useful and 2 terminator squads in one army is to many points for what it's worth. Stick to just one squad of Terminators.
Live with honor, die with honor
Arrogance destroys the arrogant
War is Hell
Knowlegde is power
Death to ignorance and stupidity
Kendo is my only salvation
Old 06 Oct 2005, 09:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR
-Add 2 chainfists
not all that keen on that bit of advice. my experience says that a power-fist and enough attacks (4 usually does it) will be just fine up to nuke things like dreads. it tends not to be wirth burning extra points like that

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 06 Oct 2005, 11:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Agreed, a single Chainfist is more then enough if you ever happen to find your Terminators next to a Land Raider and yourself without anything else to kill it...

The model is cool though, and tends to be feared rather more then it should be.

~Andromidius
Closed Thread