Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A mechanized Salamanders army... need advices!
Closed Thread
Old 27 Sep 2005, 23:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default A mechanized Salamanders army... need advices!

Hey!

I've been looking at my 750-pt list but I'm still not satisfied. I know that a mechanized army will be low on Salamanders but a fluffy Salamanders army without transport is kinda slow to get within range of its short-ranged weapons. (I'm a big fan of multi-meltas!!! And all those meltaguns and flamers too! ) The drop pod could be a nice option but I prefer the good ol' rhino. So:

1. How many squads should be used for a 750-pt army?
2. Should I go with small squads and get some Razorbacks?

Thanks!

Chaplain Thu'Ook
Promethean Cultist
Old 28 Sep 2005, 01:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: A mechanized Salamanders army... need advices!

You might need a few more members in your tactical squads, as even if you're close, the enemy's close too, so you'll both be rapid firing...
Old 28 Sep 2005, 05:48   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Thu'Ook
I know that a mechanized army will be low on Salamanders but a fluffy Salamanders army without transport is kinda slow to get within range of its short-ranged weapons.
Given their focus on short range fire fights, Rhinos seem a natural for Salamanders and while I don't claim to be a Sallie expert I don't know of anything in their fluff that would indicate they use less transports than a normal SM chapter.

Quote:
1. How many squads should be used for a 750-pt army?
2. Should I go with small squads and get some Razorbacks?
Personally, I would probably go with either three or four squads at 750 points. More than that and they would just be too small. I'm a big fan of big squads, myself. I would advise going with Tac Squads of at least eight. Just off the top of my head, something like this might be fun:

HQ - Captain
Troop - 8 man Tac Squad with 2xFlamers in Rhino
Troop - 8 man Tac Squad with 2xFlamers in Rhino
Heavy - 5 man Dev Squad with 4xMulti-meltas (you did say you loved them!) in a Razorback

This would give you an all mechanized Sallie list, and depending on the options you chose could come to around 750 points.

Hope that helps! ;D
Old 28 Sep 2005, 11:19   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

mechanized army huh well meltaguns and flamers are all well and good but a army that's not well rounded is a dead army.
you really need a balance for every short range weapon you have try to get a long range and you'll be fine.

i have won tournaments but only with an army that's well rounded a close combat army with a ton of meltaguns and flamers is OK when facing an idiot, but facing someone that knows which end of a bolter to point at an enemy will keep back and shoot you to pieces

Peace

Spike >
Old 28 Sep 2005, 11:51   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike
mechanized army huh well meltaguns and flamers are all well and good but a army that's not well rounded is a dead army.
you really need a balance for every short range weapon you have try to get a long range and you'll be fine.
I agree that you should normally seek balance in an army list, but in this case you need to consider two thing; first with only 750 points to play with, trying to do too many things at once will just mean you do none of them very well, and second the original poster had some fluffy/personal preferences that he seemed interested in fitting into the list:
  • Mechanized
  • Mulit-meltas
  • Flamers & Meltaguns
From a purely "balance" point of view you might be better off giving the Dev Squad Missile Launchers and/or Lascannon to get the long range weapons to "balance" the short range Tac Squads, but he did want to field those MM, and I think they would work even less well in the Tac Squads (who will probably want to be moving around too much to effectively make use of a move-or-shoot weapon like the MM.*

This list may be rather short ranged (with the exception of the TL-Lascannon on the Razorback) but at closer range it should be quite powerful, with all those flamers and meltas, plus being totally mechanized it should be able to take advantage of that close-range firepower pretty well.* Is it an ideal tournament army?* Probably not, but with some skill and good tactics I think it is still a very playable list.
Old 01 Oct 2005, 20:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike

i have won tournaments but only with an army that's well rounded a close combat army with a ton of meltaguns and flamers is OK when facing an idiot, but facing someone that knows which end of a bolter to point at an enemy will keep back and shoot you to pieces

Peace

Spike >
As said, 750 points isn't too big, and at that small he might want to focus on one thing. And yes, as said, it will be very powerful at a close range. In a larger game I'd agree with you spike, but this is a smaller game. Nice going Shas_o_Mike , I agree alot with you.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Closed Thread