Melta gun

Blood Claws x 9
Melta gun
Power weapon
Drop pod

Grey Hunters x 6
Plasma Gun

Total:500 Points

The idea is that the rune priest and blood claws will attack from close with the drop pod

the scouts will move around and do anything useful

and the grey hunters will stay back and defend an objective

---------------
Just a simple list, and my first attempt at making one. It doesnt have to be super competitive, and I don't have a huge range of models, luckily I know some others who are starting out with 500 points games.

Anyway, What do you think? what would you change?
Terroney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2010, 08:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: 500 points beginners space wolves army

Arent Scouts etc troops choices?
Great list, the only problem is that you dont have much in the way of anti-tank...
Old 31 Aug 2010, 11:10   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

In my space wolf codex it says scouts are elites?

but blood claws and grey hunters are my troop choices

Maybe melta bombs on scouts and a powerfist with bloodclaws would help better with tanks if i can find the points?
Old 31 Aug 2010, 23:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Mirage

not a bad 500 point list-
be careful how you use the scouts- with space wolves, they are a potent unit. read up and tell your opponent what they can do, psych him out. if he understands the power that they hold (being able to outflank on his deployment area) he will try to mitigate the effect they have by taking his mech and moving it in.
IMHO, that is all of the anti mech you need. in 500 points, only IG will be able to field a substantial amount of mech.
bulk up instead on anti infantry, and move the rune priest to the grey hunters- living lightning is unlimited range, so you have no need to get up close an personal with the blood claws.
speaking of the blood claws, give them a flamer! i get that your plan is to use the alpha strike and have them in range for a charge from turn 1 (any alpha strike units cannot be included in your turn 4 or 5 battle plan, they will vanish by that time). I personally am not a fan of blood claws, so that may just be me if i were in your situation, i would take a 5 man squad of grey hunters with plasma, and hold them as objective takers, then max out a squad of grey hunters and put THEM in the drop pod (they will be able to take 2 assault weapons, one of the real draws of space wolves) i'd say a flamer and a melta would be good enough, or 2 plasma guns if you just can't decide
run the rune priest with the 5 man grey hunters squad. drop the wolf tooth necklace and the scouts power weapon and get the deathwind missile pods for the drop pod. use the extra 5 points to help pay for the dual plasma gun of the podding grey hunters squad.

my rework of your list looks like...

HQ:
RUNE PRIEST - will go with 5 man grey hunters
Jaws of the world wolf
living lightning
saga of the beast slayer
terminator armor

Elites
Scoutsx5
Melta gun

grey hunters x 10
2x plasma gun
wolf standard
Drop pod w/ deathwind missiles

Grey Hunters x 5
Plasma Gun

Total:500 Points

Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2010, 08:46   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

would you have bolt pistols and CC weapons on the hunters in the pod?
Or bolters?

Also, Grey Hunters (maybe wrong here) can't assault after firing plasma guns? I know I can't assault after dropping out of the pod, but on the next turn special weapons would be nice too. Are meltas a viable substitute? One of the guys starting with me is going to start Imperial guard, so tank hunting is also important.

Thanks
Old 01 Sep 2010, 13:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Mirage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terroney
would you have bolt pistols and CC weapons on the hunters in the pod?
Or bolters?

Also, Grey Hunters (maybe wrong here) can't assault after firing plasma guns? I know I can't assault after dropping out of the pod, but on the next turn special weapons would be nice too. Are meltas a viable substitute? One of the guys starting with me is going to start Imperial guard, so tank hunting is also important.

Thanks
you can take both bolt pistols and bolters!
You can assault after using the single shot on bolters, but not the rapid fire.

If you're sold on meltas only, I will not try to sway you any more, I just chose plasma guns because they are a good all purpose weapon that all armies fear. If you will be facing multiple opponents, it is not advisable to tailor your list to beat only one kind.

The reason I told you to use the deathwind missile pods is to counter horde enemies such as tyranids, guard or orks. Dropping a large s5 blast template on guard is devastating
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote