Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

new to marines, need to advice with 1000 point list
Old 20 Jul 2010, 01:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default new to marines, need to advice with 1000 point list

Hey everybody, so I have a massive amount (12000+ points) of ‘nids, and thought it’d be nice to try a new army for a change ;] so, all you marine vets out there, please criticize this so I can improve. Here’s my 1000 point lists.
HQ- Captain in terminator armor, dual lighting claws 155 points

Elites- 5 Terminator, 4 w/thunder hammers and shield. 1w/ lighting claws +200 points

Troops- 2 tactical squads-
9 marines, 1 sergeant one melta gun, one missile launcher, rhino +210 points
9 marines, 1 sergeant lascannon, flamer, rhino +215 points
1 scout squad- 4 scouts, 1 sergeant, heavy bolter, power weapon +100 points

Fast Attack- Assault Squad 4 marines, 1 sergeant, power weapon, melta bombs +120 points

1000 points

Suggesting or modifications? Or did I actually get lucky first time( doubt it) thanks in advance.
dragon17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2010, 04:48   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: new to marines, need to advice with 1000 point list

i find if you're not using the scouts for a specific purpose, they're a waste of points. especially a 5 man squad will get torn to shreds pretty quickly. i'd probably throw in a dreadnought instead. They can take a beating and deal it out equally. Not to mention they steal a lot of attention away from the rest of your army.
Salacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2010, 19:27   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

okay, cool thanks.
whats a good dread set up for about 120 points then? ill trim some points outta some else :P
Old 21 Jul 2010, 03:30   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well being a BA player i like the Furioso for 125 as it has better armour, and i like getting up close and personal.
for vanilla, it depends on how you'd like to use it. as a tank hunter, i like the standard multimelta, dccw over lascannon, missile launcher as its cheaper and offers more versatility like when taking on MCs.
but if you're going for infantry, the assault cannon has to be my favourite weapon in the arsenal. especially since they gave it rending. teamed up with the dccw, you can't go wrong. though, you want to avoid getting tied up by big crowds of troops. 2 attacks only goes so far...
Old 22 Jul 2010, 00:17   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

yeah. i like how the assult cannon is sounding. just use him to draw fire while the assault squad is moving up. ik terminators can deep strike, but can the captian go with them/ or does he have to footslog it? hope not..
Old 22 Jul 2010, 04:35   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

captain should be able to deep strike with them. as far as i know theres no stopping that. i dont use a termie captain so ive never come across the problem.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 22:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Mirage

if it can teleport, it can deepstrike with termis!

a few trends i see in 1k point lists is light transports, and infantry. you might well be served by taking an autocannon dreadnought (dual twin linked autocannons- 48" s7 ap4, four twin linked shots total)

flexibility and dual purpose in lists 1k and under is very handy.
i agree that the scouts have no direction, you have a heavy bolter and a power weapon. my suggestion for them if you were sold on them is to drop the PW, pick up sniper rifles and swap the heavy bolter for a missile launcher, also give them all camo cloaks.
this is a decent objective holding unit. put them in terrain and they get a 3+ cover save.

one blessing i've seen in low points lists is the thunderfire cannon! this monster is the price of a 5 man assault squad (cheap) and you get bolster defenses! you have gobs of flexibility with this weapon, put it up high in terrain, bolster that terrain and snipe with heavy artillery! (oh and put the scouts in the same building to slow down any would be attackers with pinning shots)
the thunderfire cannon is a 60" heavy4 blast with varying shots depending on what you want.
"s6 ap5" is a good, general purpose shot
"s5 ap6 ignores cover" is good for any pesky units that rely on a cover save
"s4 ap- tremor" is good for slowing down hordes of footslogging enemies, as all must make a difficult terrain test if they choose to move in the following turn

thunderfire cannons are very fragile, however, and the only unit defending it is a techmarine.
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2011, 09:27   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thumbs up

As a marines player myself I second the Auto-cannon Dready. Awesome Light tank killer, especially for the points. It's range is awesome, and he doesn't even do that bad shooting into infantry.

The only other thing I might suggest for a similar points cost is a Landspeeder with Typhoon Missile Launcher and Multi-Melta (costs 100 total).

I always run at least one of these, and it makes an excellent Hvy Tank hunter with the Multi, Light tank hunter with the Krak, and superb horde control with the frag missiles.

Its a toss up between the two, but I think if you go with the Landspeeder you'll be hooked.

Happy hunting
kalanbennett is offline   Reply With Quote