Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Wolf 1850 possible torny list(first space wolf list)
Old 09 Jun 2010, 14:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Space Wolf 1850 possible torny list(first space wolf list)

First thanks for any help ahead of time, this is my first list that isn't Eldar ever, so if I screwed up bad, I'm really sorry.

HQ:
Rune Priest
Master of runes
Living lightning
Tempest Wrath

Canis Wolfborn 185

Elite:
Dreadnought
2x TL auto cannons

Wolf Guard
4 w/ combi-melta
1 w/ termie armor and cyclone missile launcher
Drop pod

Elite:
Wolf Guard
4 w/ combi-melta
1 w/ termie armor and Cyclone missile launcher
Drop pod

Troops:
10 Grey hunters
2 meltas
Mark of the wulfen
power fist
Rhino

10 Grey hunters
2 meltas
Mark of the wulfen
Power fist
Rhino

10 Grey hunters
2 meltas
Mark of the wulfen
Power fist
Rhino

Heavy support:
5 Long fangs
5 w/ missile launchers

5 Long fangs
4 w/ missile launchers

Predator
Heavy Bolters
Dozer blade

Total 1850

Alright, general plan of the list. Runepriest, Dreadnought and the 2 Long Fang will make short work of troops from a range while the Troops Pred and Canis push forward, hitting tanks and Elite troops. The Wolf Guard will help with that when they come in and then finish up the mess the Runepriest, Dreadnought and Long Fangs leave behind. I know the powers on the Priest seem weird but I like autocannon power of the living lighting and the tempest helps me keep deepstrikers away from the heavy support. Anyways thats the plan, let me know if anything is off mark. Thanks.
Nailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2010, 17:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Space Wolf 1850 possible torny list(first space wolf list)

Ok, first off, your Wolf Guard are enormous wastes of points, as are your Grey Hunters; You are paying way too many points for what you are getting. I would drop mark of the Wulfen and the Powerfists for Wolf Guard pack leaders with powerfists; 1-2 Powerfists swings is not good. For 3 more points you get 2-3. its worth it.

Your Wolf Guard are just giving your opponents as many as 4 kill points on a silver platter. Consolidate them into 1 squad of 10, maybe w/ some power fists added to the combi meltas or one squad of terminators.

Why not run 6 long fangs w/ 5 heavy weapons? That's one of the Long Fangs' incredible strengths.

Lastly, two twin linked autocannons dreadnought isn't doing a lot for you. Why not run a plasma cannon or lascannon?

Also I hate expensive HQs unprotected by invulnerable saves, but that comes down to person preference.
Old 09 Jun 2010, 22:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sorry just realized a misprint in the longfangs both are supposed to be 5 longfangs w/4 missile launchers
As for adding the wolf guard to the grey hunters, that seems bad as you can not have their personal transport if you do according to the faq put out on the GW page for space wolves, and the transport is what makes this list good, as for the guard becoming termies I may do that, though from what I can tell termies just cost too much, and I may change the dreadnought as well.

With your ideas(minus those mentioned above) I came up with
Rune Priest
Master of runes
Living lightning
Tempest Wrath

Canis Wolfborn 185

Elite:
Dreadnought
CCW/Plasmacannon

Wolf Guard
6 Wolf Guard Terminators
6 Power Fist
6 Storm Shields
Drop Pod

Troops:
10 Grey hunters
2 meltas
Mark of the wulfen
power fist
Rhino

10 Grey hunters
2 meltas
Mark of the wulfen
Power fist
Rhino

10 Grey hunters
2 meltas
Mark of the wulfen
Power fist
Rhino

Heavy support:
5 Long fangs
4 w/ missile launchers

5 Long fangs
4 w/ missile launchers

Predator
Heavy Bolters

Total 1848
Old 10 Jun 2010, 07:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The advantage of Space Wolf Terminators is actually how cheap they are; standard terminator is only 8pts more than a Sternguard vet or Grey Knight in power armor. Very cheap for what it is. By super upgrading them they become ludicrously overly expensive.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 15:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm going to put a few comments here in blue.
@MarkH ) MotW really Kicks A$$. I wish I could have two in there, the average I did was 4.6 attacks a turn. I also had an average of 3.4 Rending in 4 turn of CC.( Per Unit / I kept track during my last 4 games, in my two main assault units of GHs).
Powerfist- I had both my Meltaguns miss a Leman Russ, but the Powerfist did not, that one Powerfist guy Slagged a Russ! Is it better to have a WG guy in there, yes but sometimes you can't.
Rifleman Dred- does very well against transports and MCs.
Your right about the Long Fangs.
Your right again about the WG, they are alot of points and I do not use them but they really are hard to kill and can be used effectively in the right list, equipted correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Brunswick

Rune Priest
Master of runes
Living lightning
Tempest Wrath

Canis Wolfborn 185
This is a fun list right?! If it's a serious list this will need to be adjusted.

Elite:
Dreadnought
CCW/Plasmacannon

You can go two ways with the dred, one as a CC help or as a shooting platform. CC/AC is not a bad option for now to feel out your list until you know what YOU want!
I hate to go against MikeH but the Space Wolves can be played very competitively in different ways.

Wolf Guard
6 Wolf Guard Terminators
6 Power Fist
6 Storm Shields
Drop Pod

Only 5 Terminators to a Drop Pod. You also took off all those Combi-Meltas, that's too bad because they rock! If your only going to have one Pod, it's needs to be mixed up a bit so it can handle anything. A mixed unit covers most bases, and is much cheaper. 2 SS/PW 1 SS/TH 2 Dual Lighting Claws.

Troops:
10 Grey hunters
2 meltas
Mark of the wulfen
power fist
Rhino

I love this set-up, only thing that would make it better is adding a Wolf Standard.

10 Grey hunters
2 meltas
Mark of the wulfen
Power fist
Rhino

10 Grey hunters
2 meltas
Mark of the wulfen
Power fist
Rhino

This unit should be your objective grabber, so if you can covert some Plasmaguns, Two Plasmaguns, Plasma Pistol, and Power Weapon. No MotW.

Heavy support:
5 Long fangs
4 w/ missile launchers

5 Long fangs
4 w/ missile launchers

Good Set-up with these guys. Another good addition or way to save a few points, 1 Heavy Bolter in both units.

Predator
Heavy Bolters

This is also a great tank! Cheap but effective!

Total 1848

I only see one other problem, Where does your Rune Priest go?? Do you want him in the middle of Combat? Do you want him safe? What do you want him to do? Do you even need him? and Why? My Rune Priest only did his Dispel and Living Lighting.

WT

edit for clarity
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the help so far, and after trying Canis I agree, he is not so good(sadly I really like his piece). To answer so far I have actually put the Rune Priest with one of the long fang squads(I know its weird) but he shoots well, and adds a little protection if anyone gets close he helps take out, and he throws out the no deepstrike in so they have to tank run or run which is harder on this list if they want to get in assault with them. I will work on a modified list and see what happens.

Ok New list
HQ:
Rune Priest
Master of runes
Living lightning
Tempest Wrath

Wolf Lord
Term Armor
Storm Shield/Thunder Hammer
Saga of the Beast Slayer
Wolftooth necklace
Wolf tail talisman
(He is going in with the terms)

Elite:
Dreadnought
CCW/Autocannon

4 Wolf Guard Terminators
2 PW/SS
2 Dual Wolf Claws
Drop pod

6 Wolf Guard
6 Combi-Melta
Drop Pod

Troops:
10 Grey hunters
2 meltas
Mark of the wulfen
power fist
Rhino

10 Grey hunters
2 meltas
Mark of the wulfen
Power fist
Rhino

10 Grey Hunters
2 Plasma Guns
1 power weapon
1 Plasma Pistol
Rhino or Drop Pod(as an objective grabber I haven't decided if I want to drop them in on it or rhino them there yet, some info may be good for this)

Heavy support:
5 Long fangs
3 w/ missile launchers
1 w/Heavy Bolter

5 Long Fang
3 w/ missile launchers
1 w/ heavy bolter

Predator
Heavy Bolters

Total 1850

Ok new changes made and I already said what the Rune Priest is for so there we go.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 22:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This last list is way better! As for your D Pod, I use only one. I have it set up 2 Plasmaguns, Plasma Pistol, and Power Weapon. It works great. I have thrown it as an Objective grabber or as a thorn on my opponents deployment. If I drop them near my opponent, I have have them take cover behind the pod against shooting. Now they are a pain my opponent has to deal with. You need three Pods, or One, don't go with even numbers, as you may rely on it coming down more often than you should.

Dred, really should be with Assault Cannon as it has rending and 4 shots. Your list is now more Assault orientated so you need a dred that works with this list.
An autocannon with DCCW is not as good in this list. Use these points for the upgrade below.

Wolf Lord, great set-up but I would recommend a Frost Weapon as it has good STR and your WL still can use his great I5. ( you lose the I5 with the TH ) Besides the Frost Weapon is the Wolf Claw as well. I use to hate the combo but re-rolling to hit or wound is great.

And with those points you spent on the TH, use them to upgrade one PW/SS Terminators to a TH/SS.

Now this is a great list as anything can be destroyed but nothing really hurts you if it does. Everything helps everything else.

In the Drop Pod with WG, I may consider dropping two Combi-Meltas. (they are hard to convert) and get a power weapon in there.
or
Drop the Master of Runes and add one more WG in there and add one Power Weapon and one Frost Weapon.

The only reason I now recommend doing this, is because you will now be doing more damage with your troops and they need the extra points to beef them up. All your guys can die pretty easy but when they hit, they will tear it up. Your Rune Priest is now a support character for you fighting force.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2010, 06:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Dante18907

Quote:
Sorry just realized a misprint in the longfangs both are supposed to be 5 longfangs w/4 missile launchers
As for adding the wolf guard to the grey hunters, that seems bad as you can not have their personal transport if you do according to the faq put out on the GW page for space wolves, and the transport is what makes this list good, as for the guard becoming termies I may do that, though from what I can tell termies just cost too much, and I may change the dreadnought as well.
Just to clarify this, a Grey Hunters pack of 9 that is taking a Wolf Guard Pack Leader may still take a Rhino as a dedicated transport, as the rule within the codex doesn't state that the Grey Hunters require a certain number to have one. Having read through the FAQ to find the ruling that would say otherwise I think I have found the area of confusion. The FAQ states: '... This provides players who wish to mount their Grey Hunters in a Rhino or Drop Pod with a difficult tactical choice - extra special weapon or Wolf Guard pack leader'

The 'difficult tactical choice' pertains to ONLY the taking of a second special weapon OR a Wolf Guard pack leader. This does not affect the Grey Hunters ability to take a Rhino or Drop pod. This has been STUPIDLY worded by whoever wrote this. But rest assured, Grey Hunters with a Wolf Guard pack leader can most assuredly take a Rhino transport, and this is the best, and safest, way to field them.

My only advice for this list would be to drop your GH's down to 9, whack a Wolf Guard w/ Power Fist/Wolf Claw in there and also put a Wolf Standard in there (SERIOUSLY DO THIS! This is one of the best things for your Grey Hunters. Re-rolling ALL 1'S for an ENTIRE Assault phase? Yes please! This has saved my bacon SO many times.)

I find the best way to run Grey Hunters is 3-4 identical packs. I typically run:

9x Grey Hunters w/
1x Meltagun
1x Power Fist
1x Wolf Standard
1x Mark of the Wulfen
Rhino

This comes to a total of 225 points, whack a Wolf Guard with Multi-Melta + Power Fist/Wolf Claw in there and these guys will tear up whatever you throw them at. And if you plonk them down on an objective they will hold it like nothing else. Don't ever forget that while Space Wolves are very combatty, Grey Hunters can STILL shoot most things to death, and if not to death, they aren't going to be strong enough to kill them in CC after being shot to pieces.

And also bring back the Wolf Guard with the Cyclone Missile Launcher, and put that mofo in with one of your Long Fangs squads. Speaking of Long Fangs, beef those bad boys up to 5 Long Fangs + Squad Leader. As the Long Fangs are the ONLY Space Marine 'Devastator' squad who can take this extra member, and at such a bargain price, there is LITERALLY no reason for you not to take the extra guy.

I would probably also change out Tempest's Wrath on your Rune Priest for Jaws of the World Wolf, as this is the absolute greatest psychic power ever! Draw a 24" line, if the first model hit fails his leadership test, ALL MODELS BEHIND IT ARE INSTANTLY REMOVED FROM PLAY! (All infantry + bikes that is) There is literally no plausible excuse for not having this power. If you do decide to do this, drop Master of Runes, as they are both Psychic Shooting powers and you can save a few more points there.

This is all just my opinion on how best to run your Wolves, take it and leave it as you see fit. This is how I run mine and I am 6/7 wins and one draw with my lil Wolves.

Good luck in your battles and may Russ guide you brother!

Old 18 Jun 2010, 03:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante18907
Quote:
Just to clarify this, a Grey Hunters pack of 9 that is taking a Wolf Guard Pack Leader may still take a Rhino as a dedicated transport, as the rule within the codex doesn't state that the Grey Hunters require a certain number to have one. Having read through the FAQ to find the ruling that would say otherwise I think I have found the area of confusion. The FAQ states: '... This provides players who wish to mount their Grey Hunters in a Rhino or Drop Pod with a difficult tactical choice - extra special weapon or Wolf Guard pack leader'

The 'difficult tactical choice' pertains to ONLY the taking of a second special weapon OR a Wolf Guard pack leader. This does not affect the Grey Hunters ability to take a Rhino or Drop pod. This has been STUPIDLY worded by whoever wrote this. But rest assured, Grey Hunters with a Wolf Guard pack leader can most assuredly take a Rhino transport, and this is the best, and safest, way to field them.

My only advice for this list would be to drop your GH's down to 9, whack a Wolf Guard w/ Power Fist/Wolf Claw in there and also put a Wolf Standard in there (SERIOUSLY DO THIS! This is one of the best things for your Grey Hunters. Re-rolling ALL 1'S for an ENTIRE Assault phase? Yes please! This has saved my bacon SO many times.)

I find the best way to run Grey Hunters is 3-4 identical packs. I typically run:

9x Grey Hunters w/
1x Meltagun
1x Power Fist
1x Wolf Standard
1x Mark of the Wulfen
Rhino

This comes to a total of 225 points, whack a Wolf Guard with Multi-Melta + Power Fist/Wolf Claw in there and these guys will tear up whatever you throw them at. And if you plonk them down on an objective they will hold it like nothing else. Don't ever forget that while Space Wolves are very combatty, Grey Hunters can STILL shoot most things to death, and if not to death, they aren't going to be strong enough to kill them in CC after being shot to pieces.

And also bring back the Wolf Guard with the Cyclone Missile Launcher, and put that mofo in with one of your Long Fangs squads. Speaking of Long Fangs, beef those bad boys up to 5 Long Fangs + Squad Leader. As the Long Fangs are the ONLY Space Marine 'Devastator' squad who can take this extra member, and at such a bargain price, there is LITERALLY no reason for you not to take the extra guy.

I would probably also change out Tempest's Wrath on your Rune Priest for Jaws of the World Wolf, as this is the absolute greatest psychic power ever! Draw a 24" line, if the first model hit fails his leadership test, ALL MODELS BEHIND IT ARE INSTANTLY REMOVED FROM PLAY! (All infantry + bikes that is) There is literally no plausible excuse for not having this power. If you do decide to do this, drop Master of Runes, as they are both Psychic Shooting powers and you can save a few more points there.

This is all just my opinion on how best to run your Wolves, take it and leave it as you see fit. This is how I run mine and I am 6/7 wins and one draw with my lil Wolves.

Good luck in your battles and may Russ guide you brother!

As that was the general idea, though I thank you for the wolf guard option i want to let you know that jaws of the wolf is an INITIATIVE check (one d6 under initiative) for every model, and is therefore not as good. I have tried it, and it isn't as good, the extra shots are actually better(shockingly, I used to agree with you). It gives a 50/50 against an sm equivalence but ends up sucking against nids and eldar(the two armies i fear the most) and monstrous creatures who get to take one from the roll to go under. And this new nid list has poped up with massive deepstrike and a swarmlord(who is immune to the power). Also the Deepstrike hit shuts down descent of angels and drop pod wolves list, all of which are the three most played lists at my store. I may change the others though so thanks for that help.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 09:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Dante18907

Ah fair enough. It would help if I read it correctly :P.