Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1.5k 13th Company Space Wolves List
Old 07 Jun 2010, 16:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 1.5k 13th Company Space Wolves List

HQ
Wolf Lord w/ Frost blade, storm shield, Thunder Wolf Mount, Saga of the Wolfkin, Meltabombs
220pts

Elites
Lone Wolf w/ Thunder hammer, Storm Shield
80pts

4 Wolf Guard w/ power weapons and 2 have meltabombs
They are used as sergeants for the Grey Hunters and Scouts, with the meltabombs added to the Scouts and Plasma gun units.
122pts

10 Wolf Scouts w/ 2 power weapons and melta bombs (for every model to maximize anti tank)
This unit comes off of a board edge and blows up vehicles as well as tieing up as much of my opponent's army as possible
230pts

Troops
30 Grey Hunters in 3 squads of 10, 2 double melta squads, one double plasma squad.
155/155/160pts

Fast Attack
10 Fenrisian wolves
80pts

Heavy Support
6 long fangs w/ 5 missile launchers
140pts

6 long fangs w/ 3 heavy bolters and 2 lascannons
155pts

I would like some help deciding on my 2k list. I am going for a themed army so I want to avoid Blood Claws and vehicles; 13th Company have neither. I am open to bikers or jump pack troops though. I also have the world's worst luck w/ Rune Priests, so unless they'd revolutionize my list I'd rather avoid them (though I'm considering one that grants cover saves so I can be more aggressive w/ my Grey Hunters and wolves). The list acts through knocking out my opponent's transports while aggressive lone wolf, cavalry, and scout use disrupts my opponent so that my Grey hunters and Long Fangs can destroy them piece meal. So far this list (a few tweaks here or there) has 11 wins 4 ties and no losses. I would like to keep up my streak into the next points level.

I was considering:
Wolf Guard Battle Leader w/ Wolf Claw, Storm Shield, Thunder Wolf and meltabombs
170pts

Rune Priest w/ Storm Caller and Jaws of the World Wolf OR a Wolf Priest
100pts

10 Grey Hunters w/ 2 plasma guns
160pts

10 Fenrisian Wolves
80pts

Wolf Guard lose their melta bombs
Old 08 Jun 2010, 16:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 1.5k 13th Company Space Wolves List

So nobody then? No comments or criticisms?
Old 08 Jun 2010, 16:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Whoah... Chill dude... you only posted the list yesterday!

I'm not a Space Wolf player, but i am looking into getting their codex.
They list looks good, but i would suggest perhaps getting a little more anti tank weaponry in there... I would be tempted to drop the scouts and perhaps look into getting a Vindicator or a predator... They are slightly tougher and a bit less squishy, plus more reliable. That is a lot of points riding on that squad if they either don't pop up on the ride board edge or there isn't a tank near them.

For 2000pts i would maybe get a dreadnaught with drop pod in there, and maybe a rhino with another grey hunters squad, perhaps look at getting a rhino for the other grey hunters squads as well?

All this together will give you a much more competetive and faster army that will get in the enemies face before they know what is happening to them...
Old 09 Jun 2010, 17:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I see your point about the Scouts; that has been a concern of mine as well. I was considering a 3rd Long Fangs squad in their place. As much as I'd love rhinos or predators I'm sticking with a theme that forbids vehicles, so they're not in the cards.

How about dropping the Lone Wolf as well as the scouts and going for man tanks in the form of a big Terminator squad?

Or instead, also to add speed, a big squad of skyclaws (Jump Pack assault unit) or Swift Claws (bike assault unit) with a Wolf Guard along for the ride, possibly packing a power fist?

I was also pondering dropping the Priest altogether and giving all the Wolf Guard Frost blades and melta bombs instead as well as adding a wolf guard to the new Grey Hunter unit.
Old 09 Jun 2010, 18:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

A terminator unit sounds like a good idea... When i use my vanilla marines i use a 10 man squad of termies all with thunderhammers and storm sheilds. This unit is incredible tough, i would recommend something along those lines...
Old 09 Jun 2010, 19:42   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris the Tramp
A terminator unit sounds like a good idea... When i use my vanilla marines i use a 10 man squad of termies all with thunderhammers and storm sheilds. This unit is incredible tough, i would recommend something along those lines...
Thunderhammer+Stormshield Termies tend to be very expensive for Space wolves... However, you can field a whole unit of 'Terminator sergeants' (stormbolter + power weapon) for 33pts each, which is a real steal.

Throw in 1-2Termies with assault cannons or Cyclone launchers (these are also cheaper, 63pts). Add a few chainfists or Melta bombs, and you have a great allround unit. Any points left over can be used to upgrade power weapons to wolf claws.

Another great thing is that you can take a unit of 10 (entitling you to up to two heavy weapons), and lend out some of them as mentors/sergeants to other squads, equipped as you see fit...

going to 2K points I would drop the lone wolf and add to the wolfguard squad:
6xTermies, 2xCyclones, 2xchainfist (288pts) - or a bigger unit, as bodyguard for the rune priest or stand-alone.
I don't see the benefit of the Battle leader; consider that you get 2 Thunderwolf cavalry, both with storm shield and melta bombs for the same points! And you can also give a special weapon to one of them. You could even get 3 bare Thunderwolf cavalry, and have points to spare!
Ikarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 16:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just a couple of quick comments.

Scouts, your paying 50 points for meltabombs, so drop two scouts. How about a Meltagun in there? And add in a WGL with a Combi-Melta Power/Frost Weapon and Meltabombs.

Lone Wolf is Too Slow, he dies pretty quick and is wasted points.

None of your GHs can do CC well. How about a MotW in there? and at least a power weapon. They will easily get bogged down in CC. For example: Blood Angels with Feel No Pain will eat them for lunch.

And pay for at least one Cyber Wolf, it is a themed army right?

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote