Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shrike Army List
Old 07 Jun 2010, 14:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Shrike Army List

This is an idea for a semi-casual Space Marine army containing Shrike.

Raven Guard:

HQ: Kayvaan Shrike. (195) (Deploys with Assault Squad).

Elites: Dreadnought with twin-linked Lascannon and Missile Launcher.(145)

Troops: 10 Man Tactical Squad with Plasma Gun and Rhino. (210)

10 Man Tactical Squad with Plasma Gun and Rhino. (210)

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Squadron: Land Speeder Tornado with Heavy Bolter and Assault Cannon. (90)

Land Speeder Tornado with Heavy Bolter and Assault Cannon. (90)

Land Speeder Tornado with Heavy Bolter and Assault Cannon. (90)

Assault Squad: Sergeant with Thunder Hammer. (130)

Heavy Support: Predator with Autocannon and Heavy Bolter. (85)

Predator with Autocannon and Heavy Bolter. (85)

Total Points: 1,750

The army list seems fairly powerful while still seeming fun to play against. It seems good at a variety of scenarios due to its maneuverability (the entire army bar the Dreadnought can move 12 inches) and the insane amount of Autocannon, Assault Cannon and Heavy Bolter Shots it can pump out. If you go first Shrike and the Assault Squad can be in combat on turn one (Infiltrate 18 inches away, run in the shooting phase and still able to assault thanks to Shrike giving the whole army Fleet) and they have a huge punch on the charge. This can really mess up static gun lines like Guard or Tau. The Tactical Squads can either be mobile in their Rhinos and capture objectives or deploy outside their transport and form a massive gun line with the other heavy weapons against hordes like Tyranids or Orks. (Against Hordes Shrike and his squad would deploy behind the gun line for a counter attack). The Land Speeders are very versatile, either advancing with the Rhinos or forming a gun line with the Predators and Dreadnought. They can either destroy medium and light vehicles or tear through infantry with seven strength 5 or 6 shots at 4 or 5 AP each. The Predators have the dual role of destroying vehicles and killing infantry en masse but they are much tougher than the Land Speeder. The Dreadnought is the dedicated Tank Hunter, killing anything Assault Cannons and Autocannons cannot with the twin-linked Lascannon and Missile Launcher. What do you think? I'm thinking of either ditching one of the Land Speeders, giving the Tactical Squads Plasma Cannons and adding some more bodies to the Assault Squad or ditching one of the Tactical Squads completely for either a squad of Terminators (Give the Assault Squad Sergeant a Teleport Homer) or an Ironclad Dreadnought in a Drop Pod. Any feedback welcome.
Led Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 17:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Shrike Army List

Sure looks great to me, perhaps consider splitting the Landspeeders into 2 squads, just makes them that little bit harder.

However, this goes in another place. See the sub board named 'Army Lists'? it goes there. I will request a move for you!
Old 07 Jun 2010, 18:19   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Sorry about the board, I didn't even notice the sub-forum.
Old 07 Jun 2010, 18:33   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think the Assault squad is too small to be effective (beyond their first assault, which they may/will win due to Shrike); I would go for a full squad and add a flamer or two. I would put one of the tactical squads in a drop pod to support the Assault squad, and either go for anti-infantry (flamer,power weapon) or anti-tank (Melta plus powerfist/Thunder hammer).

I also think you are a bit light on Anti-tank, so you could equip one or both Predators with Lascannon Sponsons.

4 Tactical squads may be a bit too much; I would also consider to use different weapon layouts. E.g., you could take one squad with Flamer and Missile launcher and a Razorback with assault cannon. 5 Chaps, including the Sarge and flamer can mount on the Razorback, while the other 5 with the ML guard an objective in your deployment area.

While I am really fond of Assault cannons (especially on Dreadnaughts), I think Landspeeders are a rather fragile platform for them. A cheap alternative are Landspeeders with two heavy bolters, which also give you a lot of shots, without painting a target mark on them.

Concerning the alternatives you mentioned: unfortunately you cannot give the assault squad Sarge a teleport homer; and hence this combo with the Termies will not work. I love Dreadnaughts (of any flavor); so yes, an Ironclad in DP would also be a good support for Shrike's unit. As an uneven number of DPs is better you could then also go for 3 DP (e.g., one Ironclad and two tactical squads).
Ikarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 19:19   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Looking at the list I'd say you're right about the Assault Squad, a few more bodies would help the survival rate beyond the first two turns. Not sure about the flamer though, due to Shrike giving everybody Fleet, they will be running during most shooting phases, reducing the Flamers usefulness.

I'm not a huge fan of giving Predators Lascannons and Autocannons, as I think the Lascannons are wasted when you're just mowing down Guardsmen or Orks. I agree more high strength weaponry is needed though, maybe ditch a Landspeeder and use it to pay for Lascannons in some of the Tactical Squads?

Yeah the four Tactical Squads pretty much migrated directly from a 2000 point list I used to use. Theres nothing I hate more than not having enough units to capture objectives. I'll mix up the weapons and squad composition bit and report back.

The abundance of Assault Cannons comes from me playing mostly in 4th edition where they were rightly feared. The reason I have the cannons on is because the extra point of strength helps when trying to punch through various dedicated transport armour.

My bad on the teleport homer, should have checked the codex. (Could They take a homer in the last codex?)

Thanks for the suggestions, I need to get a few games in and see what's what.