Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

starting white scars
Old 07 Jun 2010, 11:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default starting white scars

So this will be my next army and will be my first time using the vanilla marine codex as well as using a codex that's been updated since 5th edition. yikes! The other day I ordered 3 starters of raven wing bikes (18 bikes, 3 attack bikes, 3 land speeders) and I plan on picking up two razorbacks and a tactical squad soon. If you have a suggestion on what to add / change than that's fine as I'm pretty flexible on cash.

So without further ado here is my planned 1500pts list (without the book in front of me)

HQ

Captain Khan
command squad
5 guys on bike, one is an apothecary, the others all have storm shields and one lightning claw.

Troops

8 tactical bikes w/ 2 meltaguns, 1 attack bike w/ multi melta , 1 sergeant w/ combi melta.

8 tactical bikes w/ 2 meltaguns, 1 attack bike w/ multi melta , 1 sergeant w/ combi melta.

5 tactical marines in a razorback w/ heavy bolter

5 tactical marines in a razorback w/ heavy bolter

1 landspeeder tornado? (the one with the dual shot missile launcher)

Total: about 1500pts

What I'm looking for is criticism. Since I've never played these units, or seem them played in such amounts, I would like to hear about other peoples experiences. The command squad is pricey but on paper looks like the baddest motherf*cker around.

thanks for your time

wererat
wererat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 19:38   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: starting white scars

Ok, first and foremost, how do you plan to use this army? From looking at this list I would expect you to be really sneaky with outflank and stay mobile while your tac squads score from the (relative) safety of their Razorbacks. Overall, I really like this list. The one problem that I foresee you having is one that my own very elite oriented Salamanders have: horde armies. Granted, you will have the mobility to maneuver around them to a large degree, but can you actually do an damage to two or three big ork mobs? Or Gaunt swarms? Or even (to a lesser degree) Imperial Guard?

With this end in mind I would recommend gearing your Command Squad to tackling hordes. In my opinion, having storm shields on the Command Squad is a bit superfluous as they should be well protected from shooting because they should be turbo-boosting until it's time for them to charge. But, it's a matter of preference and if you want them there as insurance against power weapons, go for it. I would recommend, however, that you upgrade one of the Veterans to the Company Champion. It's essentially a power sword with a free point of weapon skill and combat shield. Pretty good deal. Aside from that, try and make room for your guys with Storm Shield to have a flamer. This is going to help A LOT in the shooting phase prior to your charge.

As for the rest, it's all down to player preference. I think you may have gone a bit over the top with the Melta in your bike squads, but sometimes it pays dividends to have redundancies built in. On the whole, however, it looks like a fantastic army that would be a blast to play. Hope this helps!
Papa_Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 12:14   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks for the feedback! I plan on playing this army by keeping my enemy an arm's length away, softening them up with lots of bolter rounds. The plan is to just play cat and mouse until khan outflanks at which point the bike squads will move in for the kill.

As for hordes...well I honestly thought this list would do really well against those types of lists because bolters, especially twin-linked ones, are fantastic. assuming I can stay out of charge range for the first two turns I can deal 9-10 kills to, say, a squad of boyz (I realize this is much less after factoring in cover). Then on the third turn the bikes can rapid fire and charge in, stealing the charge away from my enemy most of the time. Alot of horde units have a hard time against bikes due to the toughness and lose alot of bonuses when they don't get the charge. Also every horde army also has a big death star unit aswell. Khan's deathstar squad is ment to fight other deathstar squads (i.e. units of power claw nobs, monstrous creatures, etc).

As for the amount of meltas, well my thoughts were "what does every army have that can go at the same speed as bikes?" transports is the answer. Now the multi meltas should be fine with those but the next question is how to deal with a ranged enemy like tau or eldar? They laugh at my hit and run tactics so I figure I could use the speed to get closer to enemy vehicles and with up to 4 melta weapons on hand it should be easy to take it down.

Anyway all I can say is I'm very excited to try the list out, hopefully by august.

One thing that I'm not sure of is the combi meltas, should I swap those for, say, a power weapon?
Old 08 Jun 2010, 13:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I would put power weapons in place of combi-weapons if possible, though that does take more points. My brother runs one in each of his bike squads in his White Scars army, and those hidden power weapons are a pain in the butt.

Bikes do pretty well against hordes for the reasons you stated. Being able to move 12" and still put out the fire of a Tactical Squad (hell, more than, as your Bolters are TLed!) makes your bikes a force to be reckoned with and the ultimate harrier.

When you're up against shooting army you have a few options. Outflank is your friend but you might come in piecemeal. Then, of course, you have the ever-useful 3+ cover from Turbo-Boosting!

[hr]

One thing about the list:

First, I think your Bike squads are illegal. You have 8 bikes, a sergeant, and an Attack Bike. That might be a total of 10 models, but it's technically 11 Marines. A maxed out bike squad is 7 Bikes, a Sergeant, an an Attack Bike. I'm not sure if you just wrote the squad number wrong or if you did the math wrong as well. I'm hoping the latter, as that will give you a few more dozen points to spend.

Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 14:37   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Oh unfortunately I wrote it down wrong, should be 7 bikes, 1 attack bike and 1 sergeant. I assure you my list was written with army builder so can't have any illegal units.
Old 08 Jun 2010, 16:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would guess suggest perhaps using a plain captain on bike, that way you get to have Bike squads as troops. Korsorro Khan actually doesn't allow that. I would also drop the land speeders in favour of more attack bikes, they are cheaper, harder and are harder to see (for TLOS).
Old 08 Jun 2010, 16:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Khan does allow bikes as Troops when placed on a bike, because he is a Captain. This is also why Pedro Kantor and Marneus Calgar allow for Honour Guard - they are Chapter Masters.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 17:11   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
I would also drop the land speeders in favour of more attack bikes, they are cheaper, harder and are harder to see (for TLOS).
While attack bikes are great, I have two as it is AND the nice thing about the land speeders is that they can shoot 48" and so can just hug the table edge firing the dual krak rockets or frags against swarms. The dual roles makes it much more versatile and useful since two extra attack bikes would do little extra against, say , a non mech army (though that would be a rare sight)

In any case, sounds like a good idea and the problem simply lies within, I will only have 1 extra attack bike when my stuff comes in :P I'll try both though when I get the chance