Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500pt BA looking for input
Old 04 Jun 2010, 05:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 1500pt BA looking for input

HQ
Librarian with jump pack (Fear of the Darkness and Unleash Rage.)

Elites:
3 sanguinary priests with jump packs
5 terminators (1 cyclone missiles and 4 stock.)

Troops:
4 10 man assault marine squads with jump packs (1 thunder hammer,1 melta, and 8 stock.)

Tactics: Everything deep strikes in, 3 assault squads get a sanguinary priest each, 1 will have the librarian. 49 boots on the ground. Assault Assault Assault.

Should I drop the thunder hammers and upgrade my librarian so he can use 2 powers a turn and drop his unleash rage for Sanguine Sword so I can instant kill almost anything with him?
Old 04 Jun 2010, 07:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni
Default Re: 1500pt BA looking for input

Personally I'd put a priest in terminator armor and stick him with the terminators, making them basically immune to anything that isn't AP1/2, and that will tie up a huge investment from your opponent to bring them down. Considering how many other threats you have that can be a huge problem. Course the terminator armor isn't needed at all, I just kinda like to keep my priest matching his dedicated unit.

2 Priests can cover 4 squads no sweat, but I would also take a look at an honour guard. They come with a priest that doesn't give a KP and can't be singled out in assault. They also have some other neat options.

Maybe some flamers? Probably not needed with the amount of assault squads but I've recently started liking them now that I can get more then 1 in a squad, 4 in an honour guard.
Old 04 Jun 2010, 08:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HijiriOni
Personally I'd put a priest in terminator armor and stick him with the terminators, making them basically immune to anything that isn't AP1/2, and that will tie up a huge investment from your opponent to bring them down. Considering how many other threats you have that can be a huge problem. Course the terminator armor isn't needed at all, I just kinda like to keep my priest matching his dedicated unit.

2 Priests can cover 4 squads no sweat, but I would also take a look at an honour guard. They come with a priest that doesn't give a KP and can't be singled out in assault. They also have some other neat options.

Maybe some flamers? Probably not needed with the amount of assault squads but I've recently started liking them now that I can get more then 1 in a squad, 4 in an honour guard.

I am at work right now, so will have to update it later. I like that idea, drop a priest and the terminators and get some honor guard in the list!

Would it be cost effective to give the honor guard jump packs though? And I am torn on how to load out my Librarian, you have any suggestions on that from your experience.
Old 04 Jun 2010, 14:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thunder Hammers really seem to be a strange weapon. Perhaps drop a couple down to powerfists, unless you are cursed like I am and just love the LOOK of THs.

I enjoy adding diversity to squads to better round out their ability against multiple enemies. For instance, one Assault squad will be tank killers, TH, melta gun, another will be MC/vehicle killers with PowerFist and meltagun (maybe plasma pistol), the final will target infantry with power sword and flamer (or two). Depending on the opponent, shift which squad your librarian is in. facing a horde, Put him with anti-infantry with unleash rage to maximize that squads effectiveness.

When I used my Libby last, he had Unleash rage and Avenger, but problem was he was against a seer with RoWarding. Didn't use his powers much. Used unleash rage a bit, quite good.

Side question: If a priest w/o termi armour but with jump pack is with the terminators, can he deepstrike with them? I am guessing not.
Old 04 Jun 2010, 17:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hijiri and Sau1us have covered the Assault Squad upgrade composition very well. I second their points.

Also, I would personally add a Chaplain rather than a Librarian. I feel the Chaplain's rerolls to hit on the charge overshadow the Librarian's Unleash Rage, for a few reasons. First off, Unleash Rage is a psychic power and thus can be locked down, as Sau1us has experienced. Also, it's only for a single assault phase, so you have to cast it a LOT, guaranteeing some failures. Finally, it's only Preferred Enemy, so it doesn't work against vehicles.

Of course, the Chaplain's Litanies of Hat only work on the turn in which you charge - in a prolonged combat his ability is completely wasted. Still, I'd go with a Chaplain rather than a Librarian for an assault-based army.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2010, 00:33   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hi! I have a couple of remarks here:

1.) Squad lay-out: If you take Melta-squads (against heavy armour, vehicles,...), I would always take two Meltas per squad... I don't know if it is only my dice-rolling, but even with BS4 that single shot can go amiss (and will, when you most desperately would need a hit). Also, not every hit is a kill, or even a penetrating hit/wound! I destroy most vehicles like that (also with a good measure of crew shaken/stunned inbetween): immobilized-weapon destroyed-weapon destroyed-immobilized (dead, as all weapons are already gone ). If you have a few points left, it can't hurt to take a Thunder hammer. Against extra-tough 'heroes' and monstrous creatures (e.g. giant bugs with high I, but also Dreadnaughts) that Ini-reduction can come in really handy. Also, if you follow the vehicle destruction procedure mentioned above, it can't hurt to keep the vehicle from firing... If you don't have the spare points, then a powerfist will do, of course.
Against infantry/hordes, two Flamers plus power weapon are excellent. If you have spare points, you could also consider Melta bombs for the sergeants (to boost the limited anti-tank already provided by the Krak grenades)

2. Tactics: While Decent of Angels makes Deep-Striking really good, you should not be too fixed on it. Especially because you cannot assault the turn you come in (unless you take Vanguard). So, if you have some good cover for deployment and for advancing, it might well be worth to have some squad(s) on the table at the start of the game. This way, you can hopefully already assault with the advancing squads, while your other squads 'come down' (in two turns, squads on the table can advance+assault up to 12 + D6+ 12 + 6 inches, which might often be enough for a turn 2 assault). Especially on boards with densely packed terrain (cities, Jungles,...) advancing under/behind cover will be the better solution, as it is more reliable and lets you avoid those pesky dangerous terrain-checks after scattering into terrain.
Of course the squads that start on the table should be supported by priests for shrugging off wounds caused by enemy shooting...
As the terminators do not have DoA, their deep-strike is both less accurate and less reliable. Also, consider that practically any opponent is bound to have some ranged anti-tank with DS1 or DS2. If you have only power armor on the table, these weapons will kill a few of these 'cheap' troops. However, the Termies will act as a magnet for all these weapons. Overall I would either leave them at home in the context of your army, or attach a priest in Termi-armor to them, as suggested by HijiriOni.

3. Priests: I think your approach to keep them cheap is excellent, as they will be a primary target in assaults. Better invest in upgrades on the Sergeants which cannot be picked out and have the same number of attacks...

4. Honor guard: always take jump packs (in your army context). In a mechanized list, a transport is also ok. If they don't jump, they have to be deployed at the start of game. With limited speed. Without lots of ranged firepower. (if everything else is DS'ing: without support).
While this is a great unit, they are only 5 guys (or 6 if joined by your HQ) after all... As for equipment: I would either go for 3 Meltas or 3 Flamers (or even 4), with 1-2 power weapon/fist(s) if you can afford it. You can also leave 1 guy bare as Lascannon-fodder. Of course you could also add some Stormshields (plus maybe Lightning claw), but this lets their point-cost soar upwards really fast.
In the context of deep-striking, the small unit size and the small footprint that comes along with it can be really useful, so you can DS closer, or in more densely packed terrain, and/or behind cover. Multiple Meltas or flamers will hopefully allow you to to kill/cripple their intended target and thereby minimize the retaliation that will follow...

5. HQ: I think a Reclusiarch is the best choice for Blood Angels. As a Chaplain is not a HQ-choice you cannot replace the Libby with him. Apart from that, I would always try to take a Reclusiarch over a Chaplain, as I think those additional 30 points are really well spent. The additional wound is always nice-to-have, the additional attack is of course welcome. The real bonus however is IMHO the increased initiative, which lets you get in a handful of power-weapon attacks before the majority of opponents (e.g. other marines, etc.) can attack, even if I get charged (with re-rolls on my own charge). Throw in the Furious Charge from a priest, and you can even have a few first-strikes against Eldar Elite units! While any dead enemy is a good enemy, a dead enemy which is killed before he can raise his hand against me is an excellent enemy!

As I am just starting with Blood Angels myself, please let me know if someone has contrary experience!
Ikarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2010, 19:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ah, right, my bad, Ikarus. I had forgotten the Chaplain was now an Elite and the Reclusiarch is the HQ option. The Reclusiarch has notably better stats, but is unfortunately 30 points more expensive.
Old 06 Jun 2010, 22:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Updated

HQ
Epistolary with jump pack (Fear of the Darkness and The Sanguine Sword.)
5 Honour guard(Sanguinary Novitiate, 4 have hand flamers and melta bombs

Elites:
2 sanguinary priests with jump packs

Troops:
4 10 man assault marine squads with jump packs (1 thunder hammer,2 meltas, and 7 stock.)

Tactics: Everything deep strikes in, 2 assault squads get a sanguinary priest, 1 will have the librarian. 48 boots on the ground. Assault Assault Assault. Or I may do half and half if there is some nice cover. Wanted to keep the Libby over the Chappy because he can go up against almost anything and insta kill it before the enemy can retaliate.

I really want to keep the TH on all the assault squads.
Old 07 Jun 2010, 08:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us

Side question: If a priest w/o termi armour but with jump pack is with the terminators, can he deepstrike with them? I am guessing not.
You would think that but the rules care not where the deep strike flows, only that does. Teleporters can be joined with Jump Pack Deep Strikers. You could even attach a terminator HQ to Sanquinius and deepstrike them together.
Old 07 Jun 2010, 12:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sanguinor is not an IC. You can't attach squads to him. But yes, as long as all units there have Deep Strike, you can, even if they're by vastly different methods.

As for the list, it's coming along pretty nicely. I like it.