Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 Salamanders - Just Got Back Into 40K
Old 01 Jun 2010, 21:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default 1500 Salamanders - Just Got Back Into 40K

Just starting to get back into 40K again, I havent played since very early in this edition and I have no idea what makes a decent list anymore. Here is what i was thinking for my salamanders;

Lysander: [I know he is Imperial Fists but I have the perfect model to rep him and I think Stubborn and Bolter Drill fits Sallies very well]

10 Tac Marines; Plas, Multi Melta. [Join Lysander]

10 Tac Marines; Plas, Multi Melta. Sarg with Fist.

Those are the advancing squads.

10 Tac Marines; Plas, Missile Launcher [Home Objective Holder]

5 Scouts; Combat Blades. [Utility unit]

Dread: Heavy Flamer, Multi Melta
Dread: Heavy Flamer, Ass Cannon [These support the advancing Tac Squads]

Command Squad: 2 Flamers, 2 Meltas, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield. [Just want to use my flamers, meltas and thunder hammer guys to be honest, have some fluff idead about calling them the anvil guard and have them protect and join the master of the forge].

Master of the Forge: Power Wep, Servo Harness. [Joins the command squad and they advance in relative saftey behind the Vindi and he can then also try to fix it if it gets bust].

Vindicator:

So, competative at all? I have all those models. I also have a Jump Pack Librarian, 5 Assault Marines, Las Cannons, Missile Launchers, Land Speeder with Multi Melta, another Dread with Twin Linked Heavy Flamer, Assault Termies. I am open to buying more models, just not too many :P
Old 01 Jun 2010, 23:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 1500 Salamanders - Just Got Back Into 40K

If I were to try and turn that list competitive, I'd probably do the following. The points are roughly balanced, but a little cutting might be needed here and there, although on the order of tens of points more than anything.

HQ-Lysander- fine

HQ-MotF-No real need for the power weapon, at the least. Maybe trade him out for a standard techmarine and use the same model?

Troops-2x Forward Tac Squads - I'd highly recommend Rhinos here. Speed tends to be the name of the game here, especially with so many objective-based missions and faster armies in general.

Troops- other Tac Squad -Good

Troops-Scouts- With CCW and BP, I can't really see that they're going to be doing anything. Might I suggest a Heavy Bolter and/or Sniper Rifles, as well as Camo Cloaks? These guys should be able to make good use of the techmarine's/MotF's Bolster Defences.

Elites-Dreads - fine, although I'd suggest switching both to Heavy Flamer and Assault Cannon.

Heavy- Vindicator - fine.

Now, I've removed the Command Squad because they just seemed like they wouldn't be doing much at all - foot slogging it with a mixture of short-ranged and expensive weapons. Instead, I'd suggest a unit of servitors to accompany the techmarine/MotF. This would give you a set-up, and deployment, of the following:

Bascially, it gives you an armoured spearhead with the servitors keeping everything in decent repair.

Hope that helps

N.B. The above plan doesn't include the Scouts or the static Tac. Squad - they're fairly obvious

Good luck!

~Ill

Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2010, 23:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Not bad Veq, but a few points.

First off, I doubt your Command Squad will get much at all accomplished if it doesn't have a transport. It simply won't ever get in range! Personally, I would either find some way to give them a transport, or drop them altogether. If you drop them, you can use the points for Sternguard, which I feel are far more useful, especially if you add Lysander to them. Bolter Drill with special ammunition is deadly!

Also, I would personally drop the Scouts and use the points to add some Rhinos to the Tactical squads to give the list more mobility.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 20:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Great advice ill poet, thanks for taking the time to help out.

I agree with both of you on the need for transports, its just so.....un-salamanderish. I think i really do need them to have an effective force though.

I'll have a re work using the advice you guys have given.