Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Raven Guard 500 pts
Old 20 May 2010, 19:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Raven Guard 500 pts

I'm thinking about a fluffy RG list for 500 pts (cause I like to start small). Here is what I'm thinking.

HQ

Captain (lightning claw, stormbolter) 118pts

TROOPS

Scout squad (sniper rifles, camo cloaks, heavy bolter) 100 pts

Scout squad (not sure if I want them to have bolters or combat blades/shotguns) 75 pts

Tac Squad (+5 dudes, Flamer, Heavy bolter, drop pod) 205

Tops out at 498

Captain rides the pod with the tac sqaud. I figure this way if the tac squad splits into combat squads I have 4 scoring units, which can't be bad. I would use the snipers and combat squad with heavy bolter and drop pod as a defensible fire base and then kill stuff I want dead with the other scouts and the captain paired with the other combat squad (with sargent).

Any comments are appreciated.
weldedpicturebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2010, 04:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Raven Guard 500 pts

Wow, for a small list its really fluffy. I suggest you model the 2nd Scout squad with pistol & blade. Its fluffy & practical as they'll be able to act as a screening unit for the snipers. Place them behind the snipers so they don't confer a cover save. I believe you can combine the 2 squads to free up 10 points & just combat squad them. That's enough for a combi weapon for a sarge.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2010, 17:18   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I like the idea of combat squadding the scouts, my only question is, can I give half the squad camo cloaks? Or should I just skip them and free up a further 15 pts.

Thanks for the input.
Old 21 May 2010, 23:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

It seems like a pretty good list. My main concern is anti-tank. Personally, I'd put a Missile Launcher in both your Sniper Scouts and your Tactical Squad rather than Heavy Bolters - the Krak rockets should help you deal with any transports you may face. Missile Launchers are also quite adaptable, with the Frag missile able to fill the role of Heavy Bolters. I also agree with Trux on combining the two Scout squads to save a few points, and use it to add a combi-Melta or similar to a Sergeant.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2010, 19:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I forgot totally about vehicles. I assumed at 500 you wouldn't see them. I agree on the missile launcher but toss it on the tac squad. If you've got a one shot weapon then use it on the higher BS. Besides the scout heavy bolter has a small blast template to make up for the lower BS. If you do take off the sword you can have a combi-weapon & power weapon or power fist. Both are excellent choices but if you take the fist toss it on the tac squad. A 5 man team with 4+ saves has greater risk of getting munched easily before the fist comes into play

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2010, 00:03   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Played 2 games with this list this weekend with a missile launcher in the tac sqaud first game. I lost due to an unfortunate tank shock from a rhino. Second game I took a multimelta and got a solid tie. Things would have gone better if my opponent hadn't stolen the initiative giving him a turn to tear into my scout squads. I think the thing to do would be to give the tac squad a melta gun, cause it would help to be able to put a dent in vehicles on turn one.