Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1650 tournament, odd points.
Old 11 May 2010, 03:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 1650 tournament, odd points.

So, the next store tournament is 1650 points. Whoever chose it probably thout we'd write new lists instead of modifying our 1750s; I don't think he thought that through. I've got a Crimson Fists list that's a little modular that I've been tinking around with. I'm a little limited by models, the biggest stickers being no Preds, Attack Bikes, Pods, or Speeders. So, list time.

-HQ-
Captain -160
Relic Blade, Artificer Armor, Storm Shield.

It's a beatstick, what can you do? Tends make a big pain of himself, what with the whole not dying thing.

-Elites-
Sternguard (5) -195
-Combi-Melta x2
--Razorback, Extra Armor -55

Captain goes in here. I know some people hate the extra armor (and it is about five points more than it should be on rhinos), but it's important that the column keeps moving.

-Troops-
Tactical Squad (10) -195
-Powerfist, Flamer, Missile Launcher
--Rhino, Extra Armor -50

Tactical Squad (10) -195
--Rhino, Extra Armor -50

These Move up with the Captain in Basegrab and Kill Points and go run around in Multi-Objectives. They've done alright for themselves.

Tactical (10) -200
-Powerweapon, Plasmagun, Plasmacannon

They sit around and score. The Plasma is enough to make them killy at range, Powerweapon is for a shot in hell if they get stuck in combat.

Scouts (5) -80
-Meltabombs

Outflank and maybe pop a tank. Honestly made due to extra points. Dropped in the second list.

-Fast Attack-
Assault Squad (10) -215
-Powerfist

Hide behind the tanks mostly, attack when needed.

-Heavy Support-
Dev Squad (10) -230
-Missile Launcher x4

About the only Dev loadout I ever use anymore.

Whirlwind -85

It's a whirlwind.

When the list is modified; the Scouts, Captain, and Razorback are dropped. Instead, in goes an Epolstiary (not sure on powers; Probably Avenger/Gate), Sternguard go up to nine, and another exra armor Rhino for them to ride in. Plasma squad swaps it's rifle for a Meltagun.

I have a few things on the shelf to swap out with stuff: Pedro Kantor, Land Raider Crusader, 5 Assault Terminators (3 TH/SS, 2 LC), 7 Tactical Terminators with a Heavy Flamer, Terminator Captain (or AA, RB, SB), Jump Chaplain, Heavy Bolter Dev Squad (hah!), a second seven man Scout squad with HB, 2 Dreads (Magnetized, nearly everything but rifleman), and 2 tactical Squads (one PW/FL/ML, one PW/MG/MM).

I kind of want to use the Crusader, but the points seem a little low and I'm used to the old 4th ed. deathtraps. I'm not used to libbie either, but Avenger seems too good to pass up, and Gate is nice once the transport is (inevitably) popped. Considering he'll be dropping avenger and carrying Sternguard around with him, he seems pretty nasty.

Comments? Using the wrong stuff when it's right in front of me? LOL NOOB, needs drop pods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2010, 05:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 1650 tournament, odd points.

1650 isn't as odd as you may think. It was all the rage for the tourney scene a little/few years ago. :funny:

Not too unbalanced a list imo. Again, imo, it's the balanced ones that do the best at local tourneys amongst a ton of friends/regulars who know the metagame for the area well.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2010, 03:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm very much leaning toward the Libby setup now; keeping mobile even though the transport went away and getting nice and close with Sternguard and Avenger is nasty, I'm glad I made him out of spare parts. Bikers hate him.

Quote:
Quote:
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Old 12 May 2010, 14:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Maybe this is my own preference, but I might switch out the Whirlwind for a Thunderfire Cannon. S6 AP5 shot instead of S5, with 4 small templates instead of one big one that might miss. Not to mention the TFC's ignore cover shot is way better than the Whirlwind's incindeary. You can also do way more damage with the cannon if you pick a highly packed spot. It's not uncommon to do 10 or so S6 wounds to Space marines. And it can have a 3+ cover save ;D.
Old 12 May 2010, 15:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

That's an excellent list. You've put a lot of boots on the board. Hell, you've got more infantry than I do and I play at 350 more points - curse the Blood Angels and their expensive units! :P

Anyway, it's an excellent list. The Thundefire, as Kenny mentioned, is a good weapon, but extremely easy to pop as you only need one Glancing hit on its weak armour. Such a change is really up to you, as its player preference more than anything. Also, as you say you're limited by models, you might not have a Thunderfire on hand, making the Whirlwind an even more appealing choice.

I don't have much to critique. My favorite lists have always been those that just put a lot of power armor on the board and you've done this well, and mechanized it to boot.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2010, 21:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
Anyway, it's an excellent list. The Thundefire, as Kenny mentioned, is a good weapon, but extremely easy to pop as you only need one Glancing hit on its weak armour. Such a change is really up to you, as its player preference more than anything.
But it's almost just as easy to blow up a Whirlwind. A Lascannon glances on a 2+, and that's at least going to prevent it from shooting. Anything higher, it's a 50/50 chance of taking it out of action(with either a weapon destryoed, or wrecked/explosion, i mean). But I will concede the point to Seth if you don't have the model :P.

*crosses fingers*
Old 12 May 2010, 22:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've got to be honest, I've recently been going off the concept of Storm Shields on Captains and, for the same reason, Artificier Armour. The thing is, most people see it as paying XX points for a 3++ or a 2+. However, another way to look at it is that you're paying XX points for a +1 or ++1 increase to your save.

For example, the Storm Shield only really kicks in when hit by power weapons or AP2/3, and then increases your save from 4++ to 3++. Meh, to me there are better places to spend points. (Although I love the asethetic ideal of such a captain, and have a similarly equipped model for non-competitive play )

Personally, iwith the 30 points saved, I'd take the Melta-Bombs from the Scouts, and in turn give them a missile launcher or a heavy bolter and camo cloaks.

This then leaves you 10 points left to play with, by my calculations

~Ill

Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2010, 22:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't have a thunderfire. I've seen it used, and it worked well for him (unitl someone shot it), but he said it was a major pain to put together. I can see why, with it being fully metal.

Anyway, changed the list up a bit. It's almost got everything I want.

-HQ-
Captain -160
-Relic Blade, Artificer Armor, Storm Shield

-ELITE-
Sternguard (5) -160
-Combi-Melta x2, Powerfist

-TROOPS-
Tactical Squad (10) -195
--Rhino, Extra Armor -50

Tactical Squad (10) -195
--Rhino, Extra Armor -50

Tactical (10) -200
-Powerweapon, Plasmagun, Plasmacannon
--Rhino

Rhino for an extra layer of protection, some mobility, and some LOS blocking if it's called for.

-FAST ATTACK-
Assault Squad (10) -235
-Powerfist, Flamer x2

Flamers make these guys really good. Now they're better at shooting than they are at assaulting, but damn are they a threat now.

-Heavy Support-
Devastator Squad (10) -230
-Missile Launcher x4

Whirlwind -85

It's on the dot. Dropping the scouts got a lot of points, if I drop the Sternguard 'fist and lower the Plasmarifle to a Meltagun, I can get exra armor for the third Rhino and Pedro. At that point though, the entire army starts working differently, and the spearhead becomes very threatening. Then, however, I loose the durbility and general fightiness of the Captain. Pedro's not that hot at fighting, he mostly stands around and look inspiring. That will give me the ability to get bogged down with nearly anything and not care though, due to stubborn.

Never thought one 15 point decision could dictate how an army functions.

Quote:
Quote: