Baal Predator-115

Baal Predator-115

Heavy Support
Predator-Autocannon, Heavy bolter sponsons-100

Predator-Autocannon, Heavy bolter sponsons-100
Valten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2010, 15:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 1750 BA list-need help spending last 125 points!!!

hmmmm, i would suggest that tactical squads in a BA army is a bit of a waste but instead of the tac squads i would have this

4 Marines & Sergeant
Razorback w/ T-L plasma gun & Lascannon

for 155 points, saving 135 points. That would give you 260 spare points giving 2x

Devastator squad, 4 x missile launchers

so, instead of your list you would have

Quote:
HQ
Tycho-170

Elites
8x Sternguard-4x Combi Meltas-220
Drop Pod-35

1x Corbulo-105
I could save myself 55 points here but I like Corbulo, hes got that sweet chainsword and that reroll could be usefull, also in the drop pod

Troops
4 Marines & Sergeant
Razorback w/ T-L plasma gun & Lascannon - 155

4 Marines & Sergeant
Razorback w/ T-L plasma gun & Lascannon -155

4 Marines & Sergeant
Razorback w/ T-L plasma gun & Lascannon -155

Fast Attack
Baal Predator-115

Baal Predator-115

Baal Predator-115

Heavy Support
Devastator squad, 4 x missile launchers -130

This has 20 points spare and you lose (firepower wise)

- 3x meltaguns
- 3x sang priests

and you gain
3 x lascannons
3 x plasmaguns
9 x missile launchers
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2010, 16:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I like the list. It's original. You're not obligated to take Assault Marines or Razorbacks when you play Blood Angels - as a chapter they possess just as many Tactical Marines as any other SM army. My main worry is maneuverability - Rhinos could help your army a lot. With 125 points you could get a pair of them to give some of your Tactical squads some mobility. Alternatively, you could just throw in a Dreadnought but you'd probably have to find points for a Drop Pod for him.

Corbulo isn't that necessary to the list so I think dropping him would be fine, but he's not a bad unit either, so it's up to you.

Heavy Bolters on the Baals are also an extremely good idea. I know it ups their price pretty heavily, but the ability to fire the Assault Cannon and both Heavy Bolters after moving 6" is too good to pass up, and lets you chew through infantry squads.

[hr]

Henbob, that list looks effective but that is a massive change from the original list. He's looking for critique, not a new army.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2010, 16:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for response guys.

@Henibob- As Seth said that listis a pretty massive switch. I think tactical squads arent a waste at all in a Blood Angels Army. I may be stuck in 3rd edition but They thanks to feel no pain there much more tougher than a vanilla marine tac squad and thanks to FC they can charge into combat and do extremely well.

@Seth-I agree that mobility seems to be the biggest issue. I also am thinking of dropping Corbulo (ill just use his model for the sternguard SP and thats happy medium for me). Im leaning heavily on those heavy bolters.... I thought about a riflemen dreadnought just not sure how effective he would be. I could

How about this. Drop Corbulo entirely and give one of the three priest to the sternguard as I think I can survive with 2 priest between the three squads. Also drop a Powerfist from the third tac squad and change it to a Power sword. Then I can buy 2 Heavy support Dreadnoughts and give them both two twin-linked Autocannon arms. Thoughts?

Edit: Damn! I keep getting ideas.Im pretty sold on dropping Corb down to a regular priest and a powerfist from a tac squad. If I do taht I can take an 10 man Assault Squad with 2xFlames and a melta bomb and that gives me another scoring unit with some mobilityh taht I can have deep strike later in the game or even start on the table....damn the choices ???
Old 10 May 2010, 00:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Yeah, Rhinos. That's my best recommendation.

Or Razorbacks, either way.

You don't need 3 priests to occupy all 3 tactical squads in the back. 1 Priest if those squads are managed correctly can cover all 3 (Meaning Corbulo). As the only requirement for the squad to gain FnP is to have 1 model within those 6 inches.

Seeing how you have power fists you'll definitely want rhinos to move them forward, the priests can easily join these squads.

I personally don't like combi-anything. It has a use but it's more likely to roll 1s then lazcannons because you only get 1 shot with it, and we all know the more important that shot is to make, the more likely it is to fail.

I like Honour Guards way to much I guess, but sternguard still have some flexibility when it comes to killing marines or something else.

I'd say buy 2 rhinos with extra armor with the last 125 points.
Old 10 May 2010, 02:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I dont know about some rhinos, won they just get shot especially if I Outflank the Baals? I feel like more bodies would be more approiate but in this edition my experience with mech has left me wanting.

I also am okay with two priest but just one for all three tac squads just seems like asking for trouble. Multi Assault and template galore.

On the note for powerfist everyone Ive seen take them is so your tac squads dont get tarpited by a dread or mc or can instagib charecters. There defintly for the defense not offense. Never seen anyone ever use them to get in combat. Could just be a play area thing.

I was gonna do the honorguard instead of the Sternguard. The biggest factor-More bodies-The Guard + Tycho is only 6 men which isnt a huge threat but with 10 guys in the pod all the sudden ist a much larger (no pun intended) threat. Plus with special Ammunition you pose a threa with all the special ammunition of bolt shells and can deal with a larger variety of threats. The honor guard just gave me actual melta guns and a cheaper priest but outside of that didnt see any more vaule. If i gave them jump packs rather than a pod I think the argument would be stronger.
Old 10 May 2010, 04:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I understand and agree with many of your points, Valten. No way in heck a single Priest is going to cover 3 Tactical squads unless you keep your units in a permanent group hug and are asking to be templated.

Power Fists are a significant investment but I understand them as a defense measure. Hidden Fists are always a major deterrent. I still consider Rhinos the best possible move, and highly support dropping down a Priest, and Corbulo as well, to make points. With those you can add some Rhinos and sponsons to up the mobility and damage output of your army as a whole.

As for using the Rhinos, it just takes getting used to on their proper usage. They'll get shot, sure, but they're cheap matchboxes. They get your units where they need to go in objective games. Furthermore, you can combat squad, putting the Fist and special weapon in the Rhino, and leaving the heavy weapon in your deployment zone. As for Outflanking Baals, it's a good move but I wouldn't do it with all 3 except under unique circumstances - you're going to want firepower on the board from the start. Of course everyone is different but I feel if mechanized units have left you disappointed than it is more an issue of using it right than anything lacking with the tactic - footslogging will not win games.

Sternguard are an excellent unit and quite possibly the best unit to which to give Combi weapons as you're not killing your special ammunition capabilities - I'm going to have to disagree with Hijiri there. Besides, you have 4 of them in the unit, giving you some insurance if you fire 2 at a time.
Old 10 May 2010, 04:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

It really depends on what your playing. If your playing against Chaos your list will lose very fast because Lash will toss your power fist foot sloggers around and bunch up your heavy weapons dudes outside cover for template spam.
But if your against Orks they won't matter.

Yeah, I just don't like sternguard...but that's because they feel like a smurf hand-me-down and not actually a blood angels unit. Same for Vanguard. We use to have Veteran Assault Squads, why couldn't we have kept those instead?

And not really on the group hug, like I said, only 1 model needs to be in the bubble meaning

T=Tactical Marine
P= Priest
/\()=FnP Radius markers

T T T T
/ T \
T T
T T (T P T T) T T T

\ T /
T T T T

It's not a great graph but it's close enough to make my point.
Each space represents roughly 2 inches and each enter line is 4, this priest is protecting 4 squads and the only one liable to be templated is the one he's attached to, it may scatter onto another squad but it won't cover anymore models in that squad then any other...and it won't cover more then 1 model from 2 squads if it actually lands in a way to cover 2, which would be very close.

I also don't think a multi-assault is even legal here because there should be 4 inch gaps, but more like 5, between the priest and each unit accept the one he's joined to.

It's possible to safely cover 8 squads with 1 priest and have them all be free of template issues, but that almost guarantees the priest won't be joined to a squad.

But 2 priests can easily and safely cover 3 squads.

This is also a footslogging priest. Should you put the priest in a transport like a rhino or land raider his radius now extends from the vehicle instead of his base covering a much better radius.

EDIT: This gave me a great idea for something to make a tactica about, Seth next time I'm at my hobbyshop I'll make actual measurements, photographs, template comparisons, and what not. So you can have a great "Optimal Priest Usage" tactica for the new stickies.
Old 10 May 2010, 13:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

AHA thats what it was about rhinos Hijiri and seth. If I take a rhino for the squads the priest is left walking unless I combat Squad- At that point I might as well get a razorback instead so I can Combat squad the Sgt, Special Weapon, 3 dudes and a priest. ALso my buddy doesnt play lash. SO orks footslog and seem to do well why cant marines? I really think the Tac squads hoof it to objectives will be okay. BTW thanks for the discussion keep it up!
Old 10 May 2010, 14:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh, darn, I had forgotten about that, Valten. Footslogging isn't bad in this case, and you don't really have any other option. And 2 Priests will give you a good coverage.