Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 point Blood angels list
Old 08 May 2010, 18:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 1500 point Blood angels list

Hi everyone ;D i need some advice with my blood angels list, this is a completly new army to me and only just got the codex today ok here I go:

Hq:
Commander Dante: 225 Pts

Mephiston, Lord of Death: 250 Pts

Elites:
Furioso Dreadnought: 140 pts
/w extra armour

Terminator squad/Terminator assault squad (which is better?): 200 points
if Assault squad add 5 pts for thunder hammer and storm shield (5 models)
if normal squad add 5 ots for chainfist (5 models)

Troops:
Sanguinary Guard: 235 Pts (I believe that since I have Dante I can use them as a troop choice ???)
/w Death masks and A power fist (5 models)

Death company: 115 Pts
/w a power weapon ( and rhino for extra 50 pts )

Fast Attack:
Baal predator: 115 Pts

Heavy Support:
Vindicator: 155 Pts

Total: 1515 Pts

Please give advice on any way to improve or alter it thnx

/w siege shield

Danielorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2010, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni
Default Re: 1500 point Blood angels list

You might as well trim the power weapon off the death company to make it an even 1500 points. Given their number of attacks on the charge as well as having furious charge it'll only ever show a use if you throw them against plague marines or terminators. Even against regular marines the DCs superior S/I/A/WS stats will show mass results without the power weapon.

I like Dante he has a very tactical use, funnily enough, in tactical precision. He can make sure that sanquinary guard always drops where it's most useful

Mephiston is very powerful but he's very weak to AP2 and a few instant death moves like being turned into a Squig. He's also extremely expensive, and he doesn't have IC/Invuln/Eternal Warrior. So he can always be shot at and can't do anything about AP2 weapons.

Termies are really up to you there. TH/SS termies will survive almost anything thrown at them and will break anything they assault, the problem is they can't move fast so people can avoid them outright or shoot them to death with something like heavy bolters on attack bikes (which is how I handle them)

Shooty Termies are good because they can plod along and unlead lots of shots. I personally opt for the Cyclone Missile Launcher myself but thats because it can be fired with the storm bolter and has great range, whereas I think the assault cannon and storm bolter can't be fired together. It's a cheaper way of getting the equivalent of 2 rocket launchers then taking them from tactical squads.

I'd say the main issue with this list is that it has alot of powerhouse units which means you can't cover alot of ground. A high maneuverability army like Eldar will just avoid all your dudes and belt them to death with their shuriken cannons. A strong assault army like nids will meet you head on, same for Orks, and they'll probably win because you don't have enough stuff to readily thin their numbers.

Priests would be a great addition to this army for sure as the weak weapon pelting becomes null with a 2+ and 4+ save.
Old 08 May 2010, 20:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to ollieb8

Right, well first of all good attempt at a Blood Angels list but you seem to be going for a, well, over zealous approach to say the least :P What I mean to say is that you seem to be falling into the trap of 'Toys before Boys' when you really should be going for 'Boys before Toys' as Marines are expensive enough as it is without Toys.

Right, I'm gonna go through this each section at a time just so it's a bit easier for you to pick out which sections you want my advice on, and this paragraph is of course going to be about the HQ. Taking both Dante and Mephiston seems extremely overkill to me as between them they make up nearly a third of your list. Both special characters are very powerful but also very expensive to make up for it and I honestly can't see you managing to make up the points by getting both. Mephiston is a 'stick' which means he targets a unit, beats it to a pulp (like a stick) and then moves onto the next unit. He doesn't have the IC special rule so naturally acts like a bit of a lone wolf so he needs a bit of support, extra-squad wise. Otherwise he usually ends up waltzing up the field being shot and in your list I just can't see any. Normally I would expect a list with Mephiston to have lots of Assault squads in it, that way you're opponent has lots of target saturation and has to either focus on Mephiston or the squads. I can see him just being shot early on in your list I'm afraid On Dante, he shouldn't really be taken in lists of 1500pts or lower in my opinion as his major boon is the fact that one can take Sanguinory Guard as troops, and one cannot take advantage of Sang Guard in such small points. If you want to take him in 1500pts, however, I would recommend taking him as the sole HQ and slapping him in a unit of Sang Guard to make a hard as nails scoring unit.

Furioso Dread is a pretty solid choice in my opinion and will usually pay for itself as well as performing as a pretty awesome tar pit. I would recommend that you put it in a Drop Pod to make sure that it reaches combat and perhaps give it Blood Talons so that when it reaches combat it tears a squad to pieces (assuming you want it to go anti-infantry). I salute you on the Extra Armour, not many new Space Marine players realise how important they are. On the terminator problem generally how you want to Terminators to perform effects which squad you buy. Generally I either take a squad of Assaults and put them in a Land Raider Crusader with Extra Armour to make sure they reach combat or take a unit of normal Terminators and give them a Cyclone ML and use them as mobile fire support. Chainfists on Terminators are, once again, a solid choice but never give the sergeant one, generally you like his Power Sword.

Sang Guard seem like a pretty solid and I imagine that you will be putting Dante in this unit but what I would recommend is putting an Infero Pistol or two in the squad to give it that extra Anti Tank boost. Death Company with Rhino, once again, a solid choice but I would recommend taking them in squads of ten to maximise their survivability and efficency. One problem with the troops in this list is that you seem to be taking them as a formalty rather than a necessity. Troops are your friend! They can capture objectives form staple defensive lines are generally outperform most other units in the Codex. I would recommend dropping Mephiston and instead take some ten man Assault Squads with double Melta in order to act as a staple defence and mobile Anti Tank.

The Baal Predator seems like a bit of a waste for 115pts and you are basically paying 115pts for a twin linked Assault cannon. For double that you could take a Land Raider Crusader which will easily outperform two of them. I would recommend giving it some Heavy Bolters sponsons to boost its Anti-Infantry role a little more as it allow you to move 6" a turn whilst still pumping out an impressive 10 shots a turn. Perhaps some Dakka Speeders will serve you well, which means Land Speeders with Heavy Bolters, Assault Cannons or both as they are cheaper yep are performing the same role. Yes they are easier to kill but with the limited points your strapped with it would most likely serve you well to have a unit that can pump out more shots than survability.

I don't really get the point of the Vindicator, it fires a Blast weapon so isn't that reliable as an anti-tank vehicle and your anti-infantry is already dealt with in the list so it seems a little redundant. In my opinion I would recommend taking either a normal Predator with full Lascannon load out or at least take one with twin Lascannon sponsons and an Autocannon turret. Devastator squads with Missle Launchers could also perform your anti-tank role efficiently and cheaply and I would recommend reconsidering the role of your Vindicator for something more efficient.

Don't want to seem like I'm coming off too strong, just thought I'd cover everything!
[spoiler=40K Clones]Wanna play as clones in 40K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I'm amazed at how balanced this is. I salute you.
[/spoiler]
ollieb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2010, 20:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Is that 30 models. That's like the movie 300. Can't believe you took both specials. Take 1 or the other. I would go with Dante with your list even though I like Mephistopheles.
Old 08 May 2010, 20:58   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So i should get rid of mephiston? and if i got rid of Dante who would i replace him with?

Hq:

??????

Elites:
Furioso Dreadnought: 140 pts
/w extra armour

Terminator Squad: 230 Pts
/w Cyclone Missile Launcher

Sanguinary Guard: 270 Pts
/w Sanguinary Priest and X2 Inferno Pistols

Troops:

Death company: 250 Pts (Ten Models)
/w Rhino

Assault Squad: 200 Pts (Ten Models)
/w Meltagun

Assault Squad: 120 Pts (Five Models)
/w X2 Handflamer

Fast Attack:
Land Speeders: 140 Pts (2 Models)
/w Assault Cannon

Heavy Support:
Predator: 175 Pts
/w Twin linked lascannon and Side sponsor Lascannons

Total: 1530 Pts

Hope this is better???
Old 08 May 2010, 21:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wow, this list has undergone a massive improvement since it's previous form but what I would recommend is attack bikes dropping the Sanguinary guard unit and instead add a Librarian or a Chaplain and some Sanguinory Priests to boot. Give the HQ choice you do choose a Jump Pack and get them to support your Assault Marines as they pressure the enemy and a Priest with the Death Company and in range of both Assault Sqauds will do wonders. (Don't forget the transport capacity of the Rhino is ten so one cannot take a full squad and a Priest in a single Rhino).
Quote:
[/spoiler]
Old 08 May 2010, 21:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

That list has clear improvement, Daniel.

First off, for your HQ. If you must run a special character, I'd roll with Dante. Throw him in your Sanguinary Guard unit and Deep Strike accurately, unleashing your Infernus Pistols into some poor vehicle. Personally, I think that entire unit is a points sink and you'd be better off with an Honour Guard! Then you'll have a Priest for Feel No Pain and Furious Charge, and you can equip the unit with some Storm Shields and Infernus Pistols for some invul saves.

An Honour Guard will also be cheaper on your points, allowing you more breathing room for other changes to the list.

For your Elites, the Furioso is great, but a Pod would make it even more useful. Also, Blood Talons are an insanely effective weapon that should not be passed up.

[hr]

Your Troops look great, for the most part, but I think your Death Company could be looked at. That is a very expensive unit with no support and no upgrades. Unless you intend on fitting in some Fists and/or giving them a Chaplain or other support character, I don't see them making their points back. You might be better with simply more Assault Marines or a Tactical squad.

For your Land Speeders, you'll probably want Heavy Bolters too for even more dakka.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2010, 21:41   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So here we go hopefully for the last time:

Hq:

Astorath the Grim: 220 Points ( goes with the group of 10 assault marines )

Elites:
Furioso Dreadnought: 175 pts
/w Drop pod, Extra armour and blood talons

Terminator Squad: 230 Pts
/w Cyclone Missile Launcher

Honour Guard: 205 Pts (5 Models + Priest)
/w Sanguinary Priest and Jump packs

Troops:

Death company: 330 Pts (Nine Models and Sanguinary Priest)
/w Rhino, Priest and thunder hammer

Assault Squad: 200 Pts (Ten Models)
/w Meltagun

Assault Squad: 120 Pts (Five Models)
/w X2 Handflamer

Fast Attack:
Land Speeders: 150 Pts (2 Models)
/w Assault Cannon and Heavy bolter

Heavy Support:
Predator: 175 Pts
/w Twin linked lascannon and Side sponsor Lascannons

Total: 1805 Pts ( any ideas to boost it up to a 2000 point list )

would it be worth ditching the priest with the death company and adding Lemartes, Lord of the lost instead to try and make it a 2000 point list (if i got him I might add Jump packs)? and for hq Astorath the Grim or the Sanguinor??

Old 08 May 2010, 21:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre

Right, I'm gonna go through this each section at a time just so it's a bit easier for you to pick out which sections you want my advice on, and this paragraph is of course going to be about the HQ. Taking both Dante and Mephiston seems extremely overkill to me as between them they make up nearly a third of your list. Both special characters are very powerful but also very expensive to make up for it and I honestly can't see you managing to make up the points by getting both. Mephiston is a 'stick' which means he targets a unit, beats it to a pulp (like a stick) and then moves onto the next unit. He doesn't have the IC special rule so naturally acts like a bit of a lone wolf so he needs a bit of support, extra-squad wise. Otherwise he usually ends up waltzing up the field being shot and in your list I just can't see any. Normally I would expect a list with Mephiston to have lots of Assault squads in it, that way you're opponent has lots of target saturation and has to either focus on Mephiston or the squads. I can see him just being shot early on in your list I'm afraid On Dante, he shouldn't really be taken in lists of 1500pts or lower in my opinion as his major boon is the fact that one can take Sanguinory Guard as troops, and one cannot take advantage of Sang Guard in such small points. If you want to take him in 1500pts, however, I would recommend taking him as the sole HQ and slapping him in a unit of Sang Guard to make a hard as nails scoring unit.
Meph CAN'T be supported by a squad AT ALL, he lacks Independent Character and therefore cannot join squads, nor can he ride in any transport with a squad. Because he can't join squads he may always be targeted.

I'm also more opt to vote on Honour Guards, but then Honour Guards have become one of my favorite units due to their reasonable point cost, considering they come with a blood chalice. They can also be upgraded with lots of great options. The Chapter Banner gives them all +1 Attack, if Dante joins their squad he gets that +1 attack. 4/5 Members can take special weapons too and they have alot of special weapon options.
There really the best unit I've seen for a dedicated specialty unit. 4 Flamers for anti-horde. 4 Meltas/Infernus Pistols for anti-tank (or terminators). Chapter Banner+Assault gear for a tooled up assault squad.

Land Speeders aren't bad, but there kinda wimpy in a Blood Angels list, only due in part that Bikes can benefit from a Blood Chalice and Land Speeders cannot. They both die in the face of S8 weapons rather easily even with a blood chalice but S7 weapons will kill a land speeder quite reasonably, Attack Bikes can shrug off S7 weapons especially S7 with Ap3 or worse because they can get an FnP save as well as armor/cover depending. Land Speeders can only ever get a cover save and being a flyer it may not be readily available.

Now if you really want to run Sanquinary Guard I'd suggest replacing Mephiston with a regular librarian because he's alot cheaper and can provide the unit cover saves. That alone will help them alot.

Drop the Priest, he's a redundancy. The Honour guard comes with a blood chalice. So move that priest somewhere else, like an assault squad.

Death Company come with both Furious Charge and Feel No Pain, redundant priest once again. Move him somewhere more useful.

Take regular flamers over hand flamers. Regular flamers have better damage and cost less, sadly +1 attack doesn't make up for the S/AP difference between the 2.
Old 08 May 2010, 21:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
He doesn't have the IC special rule so naturally acts like a bit of a lone wolf so he needs a bit of support, extra-squad wise. Otherwise he usually ends up waltzing up the field being shot and in your list I just can't see any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HijiriOni
Meph CAN'T be supported by a squad AT ALL, he lacks Independent Character and therefore cannot join squads, nor can he ride in any transport with a squad. Because he can't join squads he may always be targeted.
Well, I did say that...
Quote:
[/spoiler]