Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Box Car Raiders or 2000 pt Blood Angels Force Recon
Old 30 Apr 2010, 08:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Box Car Raiders or 2000 pt Blood Angels Force Recon

Well I'm sure a number of you saw my for fun list. Its kinda similar to what I actually think I will field or in other words I'm interested in a mech BA force. When I first started Space Marines, Blood Angels were my first army, thanks in no small part to the Baal Predator 3 pack out during the Apoc debut. Now that ALL BA Rhino chassis vehicles are fast I'm hooked. Here's what I'm building & how I intend to use them.

HQ 1:
Librarian
Blood Lance
Shield of Sanguinus

My troop force multiplier. During scoring missions his job is to bring the umbrella to increase survivability & in annihilation he has the Lance power just in case.

E: 505

Elite 1:
Furioso Dreadnought
Blood Talons
Drop Pod

Elite 2:
Furioso Dreadnought
Drop Pod
Magna grapple

Elite 3:
Furioso Dreadnought
Fragcannon
Drop Pod

My aces in the hole. Who drops first will be decided on a case by case basis. Need big scary guy to distract infantry, meet Mr Claw. Need to actually erase infantry, 3 templates say hi. Vehicles? Blindside with 2 S8 weapons. Kinda like Sternguard in a can.

T: 545

Troop 1:
Assault Squad (5 Marines)
Plasma pistol
Power weapon
Razorback
TL Plasma/Lascannon

Troop 2:
Meltagun
Power weapon
Razorback
TL Plasma/Lascannon

Troop 3:
Meltagun
Power weapon
Razorback
TL Plasma/Lascannon

Power weapons aren't my first choice unless I've got a fast character like a captain. For Blood Angels Red Thirst changes everything. I haven't done the math but with 3 squads I figure a 50% chance of one getting FC. I originally had vanilla Razorbacks but I've always wanted to field this variant & seeing as I can shoot either the plasma gun, lascannon or both on the move I figure this is the best army to try it out. Plus the conversion ideas I have seal the deal. I may end up dropping the pistols & meltaguns for other upgrades. Also one may be downgraded to a double storm bolter Rhino so the Libby doesn't always have to pop out to Lance a target.

FA: 435

Fast Attack 1:
Predator Baal
Flamestorm
H Flamer Sponsons
Dozer blade

Fast Attack 2:
Predator Baal
TLAC
H Bolter Sponsons

Fast Attack 3:
Predator Baal
TLAC
H Bolter Sponsons

All my Baals in one list ;D (no jokes please). I'm going to try out the extra crispy variant for a bit & see how it handles. Its the same points as a dakka variant so its just a matter of swapping turrets & sponsons.

HS: 415

Heavy Support 1:
Predator
Lascannon Sponsons

Heavy Support 2:
Predator Destructor
Lascannon Sponsons

Heavy Support 3:
Vindicator

Long range AT power plus up close & personal pain. Might change up the ratio later depending on experience.

Total: 2000

Ok so this is an AV only army. Nothing with armor saves will voluntarily be on the field. In fact Razorbacks will be in reserve most of the time & occasionally whole army. In times of nothing on the board, if it looks scary for my dreads then empty pods will drop first. I've killed Marines that shot at a close up pod before. Rare but happens.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 21:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Box Car Raiders or 2000 pt Blood Angels Force Recon

That list looks pretty tough, to be honest!

I'm astonished you managed to fill your Elites, Fast Attack, AND Heavy, and still have 500 points to sink in troops! The obvious problem is lacking a real infantry presence. If the enemy manages to destroy your Razorbacks you'll often be looking at a draw in objective games, at best.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 07:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah 3 small troops is pretty fragile but that's why they'll be in reserve in nearly every game. If it really turns into a problem I can drop every upgrade except sponsons & add a 4th squad in a Rhino. Really don't want to & at that point is purely min/maxing & admittedly this does kinda skirt the edges of that already.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Old 01 May 2010, 08:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Don't expect red thirst to work. Over my past 9 games with the new codex, rolling 5 red thirst rolls each game, I've passed exactly three. It's nice when it happens, but don't plan on it and you won't be disappointed. I'd rather see an infernus pistol than a power sword in those little squads. Heck, a fist would probably work better if you could find the points elsewhere. Realize that if your little 5 man squads are hopping out, you better be blowing something up with your shooting. Plasma is silly, melta is win. You have plenty of plasma fire from your razorbacks, get melta where you can.

Try out the flamestorm variant for sure, but I'm not a fan of tri-flamer. Once you get up close, you now have a 145 point AV11 vehicle. Flamestorm + HB sponsons seems much more sane as you do have some ranged firepower and can torrent infantry when necessary while still retaining an impressive up-close punch.

Use your long range predators/vindie to protect your razorbacks. AV13 is much harder to crack than AV11, so if you can at least give your razorbacks cover, you'll give your opponent target priority nightmares. Keep your libbie in the centre razorback and have fun with a 5++ AV13 wall as you drive around pretending to be survivable Eldar. Wee. :P

Don't keep them in reserve, just make it really really hard for your opponent to kill them. You want that las/plas firing from turn 1.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 10:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ooh, thanks for the tips. No tri-flame Baal. The HB sponsons make so much more sense, I did a face palm for not seeing it sooner. Hmm as for power fists... Ok at current build I can't really get the points to change to fists but I think I can get a melta bomb or 2. Depending on how the rest of this does or doesn't change I may free up more points.

Thanks guys. I really want to test this out badly now. I should get a chance to try out a some/all of this tomorrow, depending on how much I finish. We'll see how I do.

Old 27 Jun 2010, 14:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I am seeing a lot of 5 man assault squads in BA lists, they die way too quickly. I would find a way to up them to 10 and give them rhinos or jump packs. Other than that the list looks awesome.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 15:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Kalshinko, this army list is nearing 2 months old. Try not to resurrect threads in the future.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 16:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Sorry this list was linked in a current topic, so I thought it would be OK to add my two cents.