Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1850 SW tourney list need help!
Old 29 Apr 2010, 14:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel
Default 1850 SW tourney list need help!

Ok first off I have an 1850 tourney RRT coming up here soon. I've gone down to this RRT the last 3 yrs and have always gotten 2nd for best general or overall all 3 yrs with my eldar, but this yr I'm not feeling the eldar. So this yr my fiancÚ who just recently started playing gave me the ok to use her space wolves at the tourney. here's the list and a rundown on what it is suppose to do.
wolf lord- thunderwolf, thunderhammer, storm shield, saga of the bear, wolftooth necklace=250
rune priest- meltabombs, living lightning, tempest's wrath=105
rune priest- living lightning, storm caller=100
3 wolf guard- 3powerfist,3 combi-melta=129
8 greyhunters-meltagun,rhino=160
5grey hunters- flamer-razorback=115
landspeeder-multimelta,heavyflamer=70
landspeeder-multimelta,heavyflamer=70
4 thunderwolf calvary- frostblade=225
6longfangs-3 missile launcher,2 heavybolter=130
6longfangs-3 missile launcher,2 heavybolter=130
The lord and thunderwolves are my close combat killy unit charging across the field destroying everything in their wake pretty simple use really. The rune priestx2 are riding with either of my grey hunters and provide anti psker protection and to disrupt deamons, and heavy DS, hoard, or mech armies. The grey hunters provide short to mid range fire support along with some CC support if needed and to capture/claim objectives. The speeders provide anti heavy armor support along with hoard control. The long fangs provide anti light to mid armor support along with monsterous creature control and infantry control. The list comes out to 1799 so I have 51 pts left to space on making some changes or to add to the list. I have thought to add another thunderwolf or another wolf guard or to add more bodies to the grey hunters and/or give them a power weapon or mark of the wulfen. Any help here would be great since I have always lost to this kid that plays a hybrid eldar list using the avatar and Eldrad.

uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2010, 18:43   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: 1850 SW tourney list need help!

Some proper posting format would have made reading this a whole lot better instead one giant wall of text. It hurts the eye especially those with Dyslexia. Overall, I like the list but I have reservations about the Landspeeders.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2010, 21:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sry, but everytime i post on here it always does this or spaces it out way too big. I'm glad you like the list. I know alot of people dont like speeders much, hecause of how fragile they can be, but i do play eldar alot and use 6 vypers in my lists and do quite well with them so i figured how hard is it to use speeders? Anyways i have 51 pts left over what do you think i shoild use them on?

Old 30 Apr 2010, 04:53   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I like Landspeeders too but I'm just questioning the weapons setup. Not very synergistic but I do see an advantage of versatility. Still I rather not get my Landspeeder near anything that can hurt it which is pretty much anything.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 08:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Oche! it's hard to read.

Here are a few tips, it's up to you if you want to use them.

You are losing out on your I5 on your HQ Wolf Lord and there will be times you will need it. I would go with a Wolf Claw and give the TH to a regular TWC guy. Saga of the Bear is not bad, but for 5 points less you can get Runic armor and Beastslayer saga. This combo works well with the Wolf Claw. Remember he is now T5, so there is not alot out there that will insta-kill him.

Land speeders, Not a bad set up, did you see that one on the B&C? The problem as discussed there is, it's not good at either one. Do you want to kill tanks, go double MM. IF you want horde control use your LFs. I use two landspeeder as well. They are only equipted with MM. I am thinking of changing them to double MM for that extra tank killing power.

Two Rune priest are okay but you would be better off dropping one Rune Priest and getting two Razorbacks for your LFs and use the extra points left over for 2 PWs for your GHs.

Your 3 GH units will get bogged down in CC. You need a few more upgrades there. You need to add either a PW or PF in there.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 14:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thx guys i agree the MM x2 sounds good but moving 12" i wont be able to fire both but again i wont be able to do the same with the flamer either. I totally agree about adding PW in my grey hunter squads for fear of getting bogged down. I also agree the TH on yhe lord is a waste on his I5, but we have ran the lord different before and had him gey smoked by a difiler in CC so she wanted him setup this way. I know the chances of this a slim but it is a chance so ahe minimmized it as much as she could with this setup.
I got the pts to add 3 PW in the hunter squads and try it out ttomorrow and let you guys know how it goes. Let me know if there is something else i should change or add. Thx a bunch guys your advise is greatly appreciated.

Old 30 Apr 2010, 18:19   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Just thought I'd re-edit the post as it was a pain to read

[hr]
Ok first off I have an 1850 tourney RRT coming up here soon. I've gone down to this RRT the last 3 years and have always gotten 2nd for best general or overall all 3 yrs with my eldar, but this year I'm not feeling the eldar. So this year my fiancÚ who just recently started playing gave me the ok to use her space wolves at the tourney. Here's the list and a rundown on what it is suppose to do.

[size=14pt]Army Name: Space Wolves Tourney List [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

[HQ]

HQ 1: Wolf Lord: 250
- Thunderwolf
- Thunderhammer
- Storm Shield
- Saga of the Bear
- Wolftooth Necklace

HQ 2: Rune Priest: 105
- Melta bombs
- Living Lightning/Tempest's wrath

HQ 3: Rune Priest: 100
- Living Lightning/Storm Caller

[hr]

[ELITES]

Elite 1: Wolf Guard (x3): 129
- Power Fists (x3)
- Combi-meltas

[hr]

[TROOPS]

Troops 1: Grey Hunter Squad (x8): 160
- Meltagun
- Rhino

Troops 2: Grey Hunter Squad (x8): 160
- Meltagun
- Rhino

Troops 3: Grey Hunter Squad (x8): 160
- Meltagun
- Rhino

Troops 4: Grey Hunter Squad (x5): 115
- Flamer
- Razorback

[hr]

[FAST ATTACK]

Fast Attack 1: Landspeeder: 70
- Multi-melta
- Heavy Flamer

Fast Attack 2: Landspeeder: 70
- Multi-melta
- Heavy Flamer

Fast Attack 3: Thunderwolf Cavalry (x4): 225
- Frostblade

[hr]

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

Heavy Support 1: Long Fangs (x6): 130
- Missile Launchers (x3)
- Heavy Bolters (x2)

Heavy Support 2: Long Fangs (x6): 130
- Missile Launchers (x3)
- Heavy Bolters (x2)

[hr]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 1799 [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

The lord and thunderwolves are my close combat killy unit charging across the field destroying everything in their wake pretty simple use really. The rune priestx2 are riding with either of my grey hunters and provide anti psker protection and to disrupt deamons, and heavy DS, hoard, or mech armies. The grey hunters provide short to mid range fire support along with some CC support if needed and to capture/claim objectives. The speeders provide anti heavy armor support along with hoard control. The long fangs provide anti light to mid armor support along with monsterous creature control and infantry control. The list comes out to 1799 so I have 51 pts left to space on making some changes or to add to the list. I have thought to add another thunderwolf or another wolf guard or to add more bodies to the grey hunters and/or give them a power weapon or mark of the wulfen. Any help here would be great since I have always lost to this kid that plays a hybrid eldar list using the avatar and Eldrad.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 20:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Word of advice, your Wolf Lord is not meant to be a tank Killer. He is an Elite Troop killer, and he does very well at this.

What do you want your WL to do and I can point you in the right direction. Even though he can kill tanks and other vehicles. He should not go against Walker type vehicles. He hits their front armor instead of rear armor in tanks/transports.

btw thanks for fixing the List. So am I talking to Dominic or Uriel?

WT
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 30 Apr 2010, 21:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Dominic retype the list but im using it. I completelu agree that he is a nasty infantry killer and should be used as such. But a frostblade wont do much against most CC walkers or monsterous creatures where a TH will do more damage. I still agree i will lose out on that awesome I5 that he brings with him. I tell you what wolf-tau. You make a thunderwolf lord and I will try mine and yours out to see which one I like and let you know. Thanks a bunch WT

Old 01 May 2010, 01:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

LOL. I'm talking from experience not from what I feel will work.

The TWC are great but you do have to pick your targets well. The TW Lord is good, he is very expensive so you don't want to throw him at walkers or tanks. He also kicks a$$ when he hits units from reserve. I had a big debate with several other members on here. And I tried several set ups and a Wolf Claw worked the best for me. Or I should say, it worked for my style of play. The Frostblade is second. I also run a TWC with a TH also. Now if your still wanting to hit walkers your going to need meltabombs because even with a TH there is no guarantee that you will destroy it.

I see your list and you have a lot of Anti-tank stuff so the WL should not have to do it too often.

If you have any questions PM, I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Good Gaming to you.

WT