Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1750pt Tournament Deathwing
Old 20 Apr 2010, 05:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default 1750pt Tournament Deathwing

Simple. . Will this list work in a tournament?

DEATHWING

HQ

Belial
130pts

Librarian
-Terminator Armour
145pts

Troops

5 Deathwing Terminators
-Assault Cannon
-Chainfist
250pts

5 Deathwing Terminators
-Assault Cannon
-Chainfist
250pts

5 Deathwing Terminators
-Assault Cannon
-Chainfist
250pts

Heavy Support

Landraider Crusader
250pts

Landraider
250pts

Landraider
250pts

Total: 1745pts

I would go lightning claws but really if I'm versing finer tuned armies CC wise my terminators either become dead meat or useless, at least with the storm bolters I can keep my options open.
C&C please.
That Phyco Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2010, 13:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 1750pt Tournament Deathwing

Sorry to double post, but I would really like some feedback on this list. Any information or criticism is highly welcome.
That Phyco Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2010, 15:11   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Having just played a 1750 tourney w/ my Deathwing, here is my advice.

HQ's - Obviously Belial is mandatory. The Libby isn't a bad idea either. However, in 1750, I only run Belial as my HQ, just to free up pts. That 145pts you save is a 3 man squad of Ravenwing bikes w/ a power sword that can be a 'terminator delivery unit'.

The troops all look good, however, if you have the models to do it, drop the two standard LR's & free up points for more Deathwing squads. You're BADLY outnumbered w/ just 3 squads of terminators & even @ 1750, there will be plenty of weapons that will make you rely on your 5++ save & pretty soon your 3 squads of Termies will be whittled down to nothing. LR's & LRC's are nice, but they're points sinks @ this level of play, stick to one & add in two more Deathwing squads. If you can, make one an assault unit (either all lightning claws, or 3 LC's & 2 TH/SS, maybe stick a H. flamer in there too) and stick Belial in that. Keep the other as normal, but give it a Cyclone missile launcher instead of the assault cannon.

Hope this helps!

~Sunscreem

But essentially, what the Tau do is no different - its just a bit more benign. They take over the planet - you have a choice, you join them - Hoorah, tea and drones all round. - GoneFishing
Sunscreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2010, 06:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

And I'm going to respectfully disagree with sunscreen. I feel as though the land raiders are an absolute necessity (at least 2). The movement and speed is key. Foot is dead, long live mech (expensive as it is... sigh...).

Your list should do okay. Sadly, there isn't much variety in DW lists once you pick "shooty" and "tri-raider," so you're pretty much stuck with what you've got. What's your main reason for taking the librarian? If it's for the hood, there are cheaper (and better) ways of doing it, such as an allied brother captain or inquisitor (ld10 brings the hood up to a ~42% chance of success rather than 25%). If it's for the psychic powers, then go ahead. If you do drop the libby for something else, you might be able to free up enough points to get an apothecary in one of those squads, something which is also incredibly useful. Not FNP useful, but still very useful.

Pure LC can work at 1750, but you've got to be super careful. I'd still play shooty if I were you, especially if that's what you're used to.

Remember that Deathwing are not a top-tier tournament army. They're a fluff bunny's dream and will play as such. You should do okay, however. As far as fluffy armies go, Deathwing are pretty good. Heck, with a bit of luck and some good generalship, absolutely you can win. I've beaten plenty of armies I "shouldn't have" with my Deathwing.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2010, 02:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Mirage

i agree with crazyguy, this is an army that you can showcase your true tactical mastery.
Another thing to keep in mind with your army is that though land raiders are mighty, I myself have popped one with a multi melta mounted on a jetbike on turn one. they are not the end all be all and should be treated as if they were as fragile as any other tank.
My chief concern with your army is the lack of scoring units. if you are going to play in a tournament list as you built this around. 3 scoring units means that your deathwing squads are going to have to hold an objective, survive and attack back well enough to get other squads off of thier objectives (and hope there aren't more than 5 objectives). my suggestion is to drop a land raider and pick up an extra deathwing squad.

One thing I have noticed is that deathwing can be extremely effective in turn 1, not many players are expecting the deepstriking terminators right into thier vulnerable areas. I always smile when an opponent cries foul- generally followed by opening up my DA codex to page 28. Around my LGS I'm known as "that terminator guy" which isn't the most horrible moniker I could imagine, haha.

true, I may not always win, and in doubles games I'm happy being in front and taking the brunt of the fire, (Deathwing teamed up with IG still proves to be unbeatable) but the whole point is having fun with the army that you play!
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2010, 03:42   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage
My chief concern with your army is the lack of scoring units. if you are going to play in a tournament list as you built this around. 3 scoring units means that your deathwing squads are going to have to hold an objective, survive and attack back well enough to get other squads off of thier objectives (and hope there aren't more than 5 objectives). my suggestion is to drop a land raider and pick up an extra deathwing squad.
I seem to remember giving similar advice, yet you & Crazyguy both disagree, yet agree...? ???

~Sunscreem

But essentially, what the Tau do is no different - its just a bit more benign. They take over the planet - you have a choice, you join them - Hoorah, tea and drones all round. - GoneFishing
Sunscreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2010, 07:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

3 scoring units is plenty. At 1750, I'd want 20-30 tactical marines as a general rule of thumb. 15 terminators die to anti-infantry guns like 30 tacs. You don't need more, but you are still very light on bodies for when AP2 shows up.

Sunscreen, your advice was to drop two of the three raiders for more DW squads. That's fine if you want to run a foot list and/or have your one raider stranded if you decide to advance at cruising speed. Mirage only agreed with me that DW are a test of a general's ability, he also disagreed with me on 3 squads of DW being plenty.

At 1750, I'd be comfortable with 2 raiders/4 DW or 3/3. Dropping down to one raider seems silly and I'd rather have more boots at that point. As far as keeping objectives go, as soon as you're down to 1-2 guys, just hop in a raider and now it's a scoring AV14 brick. That or contest with your land raiders. Capture and control is great as you can bunker with your termies and contest turn 5 with your raiders. Even 5 objective missions are win-able with three troops.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote