Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1850 Blood Ravens (Not Angels) army. Opinions please?
Old 24 Mar 2010, 07:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default 1850 Blood Ravens (Not Angels) army. Opinions please?

So my 2010 project has been my Eldar and I've been loving it. I've loved building a new army so much that I've decided my 2011 project will be a Codex: Space Marines army. The theme and chapter that I'll be going with is Blood Ravens. You may be familiar with them from the Dawn of War series. The list is going to be 1850 on the dot and I wanted to get some opinions from some more experienced players. In my experience there's not really too much you can really do "wrong" in a Space Marine army but I feel better when I run my ideas past other people. So here goes.

HQ:

Force Commander (Chapter Master) - Artificer Armor, Relic Blade, Storm Shield

I called him a "Force Commander" because that's what they call the generic commander character in the game. Also, the Chapter Master of the Blood Ravens is a librarian so I figured just using the Chapter Master stats and calling him Force Commander would work just as well. Anyway, I like this choice because he's an excellent close combat character and that's how I kitted out my Force Commander in the PC Game. Also, the storm shield and artificer armor makes it extremely difficult to one shot him with a las cannon or krak missile if I decided to have him go it alone and take on units by himself. I also feel that choosing the chapter master over the captain is somewhat obvious because for 25 points you get an orbital bombardment.

Librarian - No upgrades

There's a few reasons I like this guy. I initially chose the Librarian after reading up a little more on the Blood Raven fluff and realizing that the Ravens have an unusually high number of librarians. So I kinda had to add one. Upon further review I realized that the stock librarian with no upgrades isn't a bad choices because of the way his psychic powers included in his profile. So before any game starts you can just choose any psychic powers that would be useful to you based on the opponent that you're playing. Also, the psychic hood gives me a chance to possibly stop enemy psychic powers. Which is really helpful any way you cut it.

Elites:

Iron Clad Dreadnought - Drop Pod, Heavy Flamer, Melta Gun

Iron Clad Dreadnought - Drop Pod, Heavy Flamer, Melta Gun

2 Armor 13 walkers in an opponents deployment zone on turn 1 is a pretty powerful thing. (2 because I have a third drop pod later in the list) They have some of the best close up weapons in the game in my opinion. The Flamer being the best weapon for taking out light to medium infantry and the melta gun which is point for point the best anti-tank weapon in the game. Most small arms fire cant even hurt them as well. I also like the drop pods because they're so big that they can block the line of sight of most units that you put them in front of or completely block an opponents pathway and effectively trapping them in their deployment zone. These guys are in my list to drop in on turn 1 and cause havoc so that the rest of my army can get across the table.

5 Assault Terminators - Thunder Hammer Storm Shield

These guys don't really require much explanation. They can deep strike in, or run across the table and lay some serious smack down on anyone they get in base to base contact with. They have 2 rolls in my army. 1) Draw Fire 2) Kill my opponents most important stuff. In most games they're involved in they kill far more than their points cost and they're one of those units I think I'd be crazy not to take.

Troops:

Space Marine Combat Squad - Razorback Las Cannon/Twinlinked Plasma Gun

3 Mobile troops choices in a versatile transport. I kinda wanted to go with a mechanized theme. The units themselves are shockingly cheap as well. I know that the razorbacks armor is pretty much made of tissue paper. But I think that combined with my dreadnought drop pod assault they'll be able to get across the table and provide support pretty well.

Space Marine Tactical Squad - Flamer, Multi-Melta, Sergeant w/ Power Weapon and Melta-Bombs in drop pod.

These guys are meant to follow in the drop pod assault from my Dreads. My HQ's will usually be riding in with them also. They're durable, they've got versatile weapons and if they need to then they can form combat squads and split into a 4th and 5th scoring unit for me.

Heavy Support:

Vindicator - No Upgrades

Probably one of the best heavy supports in the game for it's points cost. There's pretty much nothing that a strength 10 ap 2 ordnance weapon can't deal with. Every space marine player should have one.

Predator - Autocannon w/ Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Predator - Autocannon w/ Heavy Bolter Sponsons

These 2 tanks are cheap, can lay down a lot of fire and have a front armor of 13 so they're reasonably durable. They can take out light transports or infantry with weight of fire and they also have a 36" range. If they dont move then they get 8 shots a piece aren't so big that they're not too difficult to get cover for. I think that these 2 tanks together are a pretty good choice considering the rest of my army. They'll be providing long range fire power for my army.

Anyway, that's the whole army. As I said before it adds up to exactly 1850 points. I think it's got a few competitive elements in it but as a fluffy army for friendly games I think it could work quite well. What do you guys think?
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2010, 09:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 1850 Blood Ravens (Not Angels) army. Opinions please?

Overall, I really quite like the list.

From experience though, the Chapter Master isn't worth it, the orbital bombardment has never hit for me....although, it's fairly obvious that as soon as it does, it makes it points back almost instantly. So it's really a matter of preference there.

I haven't had the chance to use mine yet, but I've heard it quite a bit that people find the Librarian to be a bit squishy, you've got him with a 10 man squad though, so it might not be that much of a problem and your keeping him cheap. If though say you did drop the Chapter Master to a Captain you could give the Librarian Terminator Armour and send him with the Terminators. (They don't actually need much help killing things though...so...).

I love Ironclads and I think they will do very well.

As you said, the Assault Terminators are a given, it's odd not seeing them mounted in a landraider though, but the Stormshields insure footslogging won't be dangerous and you've always got the option to deepstrike as stated.

I think the troop choices are nice, although 25 Tactical Marines is quite a low number, they are mechanised which improves survivability and manouverability quite well and I just love Razorbacks. The final troop choice is perfect.

Vindicator I agree with you on entirely.

I've never used The Predator Destructor setup or had any experience so I can't really comment on them, but they are cheap, if there drawing fire, not much lost, if there not, leaves them free to do some damage.

So yeah, What do I think? Nice list, I'd like to hear how it goes in a few games.
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2010, 22:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Personally, I prefer Captains over Chapter Masters. The two are identical, except the former uses Honour Guard rather than a Command Squad, but you're not using either so it's not a big deal. And then there's the Bombardment, which isn't all that hot. On the other hand, it is certainly in theme... Oh, how I loved that Bombardment attack in Dawn of War. Personal suggestion: model him with a Daemonhammer as a 'counts as' Relic Blade.

Basic Librarians are fine but I find your reasons behind his choice of psychic powers highly dubious. Psychic powers should be marked on your army list; they're chosen before a game. If your club is different about this then all is well, but I've begin taking to the habit of not saying anything about my army until both players are at the board since it's far too common for someone to swap a unit out or, in this case, a psychic power and claim it was in the list all along. I'm looking at you, Null Zone versus Chaos Daemons...

Besides that, Librarians are excellent and a highly underused choice. If you decide to downgrade the Chapter Master, I'd consider giving your Libbie Termie armor. You may have noticed the Vortex of Doom - this ability really comes into it's own when the Heavy is negated by the Relentless Termie armor. Besides that, Librarians are pretty fantastic and very adaptable to your needs.

Your Dreads look great. Drop Podding Ironclads are a joy. I hate how often those Meltaguns miss even on a 3+, though. It's like a 3+ single shot is cursed to miss. The Termies are nice. I like mixing in one or two Lightning Claws, myself, to help you plow through lightly armored units, as you can simply allocate wounds to the Storm Shields.

Your Troops look great. It's pretty refreshing to see people using smaller sized squads and, hell, you're actually using the Las/Plas Razorback? That's something you don't see everyday, though it looks pretty competitive to me.

Vindicators are great. Predator Destructors are pretty damn good for their points cost, and your list seems like it has enough heavy weapons to not need the Lascannon upgrades. The Heavy Bolters will do your anti-horde well and an Autocannon always doubles as a nice transport popper.

Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2010, 22:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
Basic Librarians are fine but I find your reasons behind his choice of psychic powers highly dubious. Psychic powers should be marked on your army list; they're chosen before a game. If your club is different about this then all is well
In friendly games I dont imagine that someone would mind if I pick my psychic powers before the game as long as I tell them what the powers will be. If I was playing in a tourney I would note the power on the list and of course not be able to change them.

Thank you guys for your feedback. I've spent several hours in army builder trying to strike the perfect balance among all of my units while still being able to maintain a semblance of theme. It seems like I've done a pretty good job of that. I'm looking forward to getting this army up and running in 2011. I'll let you guys know then how it performs.

In the mean time if anyone else has any other feedback regarding my army list please let me know.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote